Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Cycles for C4D

• Topic Author
  • I've just upgraded our VRayforC4D to the early bird 3.3 beta and I'm mighty impressed. In the scenes that I've tested it is easily 2x faster than 1.9.0. The other big improvement is the look of the noise, it's much more natural and more of a fine grain than a noise which means you can get away with lower sample settings and still have a usable image. Actually, I think the images gain something by having this grain in them so I've been keeping the settings low.

It's also way more easy to set up with really only two main settings that you really need to worry about, Max Samples and Threshold. VRay 1.9.0 used to be a dog to balance the samples against DMC etc. Now it's almost fire and forget.

Not all planned features are and running yet like the denoiser but VRayForC4D 3.4 will be feature comparable to the Max and Maya 3.4 release. If you're a Mac user dependent more on CPUs than GPUs I would recommend giving VRayForC4D a look especially while they have their Earlybird deal on. I think VRay will suit me better than Cycles4D running on the CPU.

7 minutes ago, Cutman said:

I've just upgraded our VRayforC4D to the early bird 3.3 beta and I'm mighty impressed. In the scenes that I've tested it is easily 2x faster than 1.9.0. The other big improvement is the look of the noise, it's much more natural and more of a fine grain than a noise which means you can get away with lower sample settings and still have a usable image. Actually, I think the images gain something by having this grain in them so I've been keeping the settings low.

It's also way more easy to set up with really only two main settings that you really need to worry about, Max Samples and Threshold. VRay 1.9.0 used to be a dog to balance the samples against DMC etc. Now it's almost fire and forget.

Not all planned features are and running yet like the denoiser but VRayForC4D 3.4 will be feature comparable to the Max and Maya 3.4 release. If you're a Mac user dependent more on CPUs than GPUs I would recommend giving VRayForC4D a look especially while they have their Earlybird deal on. I think VRay will suit me better than Cycles4D running on the CPU.

looks promising 

On 22/10/2016 at 1:28 PM, Cutman said:

I've just upgraded our VRayforC4D to the early bird 3.3 beta and I'm mighty impressed. In the scenes that I've tested it is easily 2x faster than 1.9.0. The other big improvement is the look of the noise, it's much more natural and more of a fine grain than a noise which means you can get away with lower sample settings and still have a usable image. Actually, I think the images gain something by having this grain in them so I've been keeping the settings low.

Yes it certainly has moved move since v1.9. and am using Vray 3.4 beta every day with little problems.  I think once some areas get sorted, finalised, then the release will be very nice indeed.  Just to add, having the Alsurface for SSS in Vray4C4D is a real treat for me, as Arnold had this over Vray regarding skin, now I have the speed of Vray, and what would seem to be a faster ALsurface in Vray than in Arnold, although I cant confirm this.

Dan

On 10/22/2016 at 5:28 AM, Cutman said:

I've been using VrayForC4D for a long time, but am also quite impressed with the recent 3.3 pre-releases and their functionality (both CPU & GPU).  I'm very satisfied with the upgrade thus far, and by 3.4 release suspect I'll be even more impressed/satisfied overall.

OTOH, I am a bit interested in whether Cycles4D will offer integration functionality with X-Particles (and similar "volumetric" plugins) beyond what is currently available in VrayForC4D.  That's one area where I expect Insydium to put a LOT of effort, and could possibly beat Thinkbox Krakatoa in terms of offering a particle/volumetric-optimized render engine (in Cycles4D), surpassing other general purpose third-party render engines as well in that regard.  

We shall see.  IMO, the low cost cited for Cycles4D would make it very attractive if it offers optimized particle/volumetric rendering broader/deeper than existing options, and that could possibly give Cycles4D an "initial sustained niche" in the C4D market.

I found Krakatoa to be a bit of a pain in the neck to set up and use a while back. To this point I haven't renewed my license for it. Cycles gives me hope i won't need to.

• Topic Author
  • On 08/10/2016 at 8:31 PM, docphibs said:

... I've had a huge falling out with vrayc4d... is 3.25 ever going to get released? i just can't handle the horrendously slooooow updates simply cause it's not supported directly by chaos group. and yes... documentation is terrible too. it's a shame cause it's an incredibly fast render engine.

This is a regular misconception about VRayforC4D, the developers didn't get the necessary SDK for many months so point the finger at Chaos group not Stefan and his crew. Given the delay they faced they're actually not that far behind the other versions.

VRay documentation is appalling on every platform not just on C4D.

All VRay versions are released but might as well be labelled betas just like the C4D version. Chaos Group seem focussed more on the Max version than anything and if the C4D version was brought in house I think that could be a backward step.

• Topic Author
  • On 07/11/2016 at 1:33 AM, jwiede said:

OTOH, I am a bit interested in whether Cycles4D will offer integration functionality with X-Particles (and similar "volumetric" plugins) beyond what is currently available in VrayForC4D.  That's one area where I expect Insydium to put a LOT of effort, and could possibly beat Thinkbox Krakatoa in terms of offering a particle/volumetric-optimized render engine (in Cycles4D), surpassing other general purpose third-party render engines as well in that regard.  

We shall see.  IMO, the low cost cited for Cycles4D would make it very attractive if it offers optimized particle/volumetric rendering broader/deeper than existing options, and that could possibly give Cycles4D an "initial sustained niche" in the C4D market.

I said at the beginning that Cycles4D could become the de facto Physical renderer of choice for C4D....but that was before MAXON announced their provender based solution.

That's a good point about volumetrics, C4D certainly needs and update to pyroclusterf.... and one tuned for XParticles would be very welcome.

i think pro-render will take atleast 3 releases to catch up to cycles4d.. 

On 11/10/2016 at 5:19 AM, Cutman said:

This is a regular misconception about VRayforC4D, the developers didn't get the necessary SDK for many months so point the finger at Chaos group not Stefan and his crew. Given the delay they faced they're actually not that far behind the other versions.

VRay documentation is appalling on every platform not just on C4D.

All VRay versions are released but might as well be labelled betas just like the C4D version. Chaos Group seem focussed more on the Max version than anything and if the C4D version was brought in house I think that could be a backward step.

I don't feel there's a misconception on my end. I was aware of the SDK issue and that being on chaosgroup. I don't mean to slam Stefan and his team. They should be applauded for how far along they are. I've used the beta - it's MUCH better. Still very buggy in some areas but I still wouldn't rely on it during production. I agree that if chaosgroup took over now it obviously would be a step backwards. But my point by saying that is because of c4d being behind for so long.

Maybe this is never going to be a problem ever again. But regardless of who's fault it is - the fact is it's been a frustrating couple of years and a whole bunch of people feel that. Despite knowing all of that, I'm still even considering buying this for personal work at home since I don't have a gpu machine (yet). Despite that terrible forum... it's still the fastest cpu render engine.

... should quickly apologize... really cause i dont' wanna derail this convo away from cycles... which i already have haha...

I am 100% going to buy cycles for sure with that price tag. No reason not to really. Looks amazing

I posted this in another thread, but I found this enlightening. It's a two-hour live streamed demo of Cycles4D by a beta tester.