Cycles for C4D

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, Tibbs said:

I'm not 100% sure but I think the Cycles core support for OpenCL is lagging behind CUDA a lot. You're probably not going to get fast, quality results with GPU rendering on a Mac.

I'm not even attempting to use the FirePros in the cylinder because Cycle's OpenCL support is poor right now. What I'm trying to figure out is a good combo of settings for using the CPU. I'll try some of BigAl's above. Might help.

17 hours ago, BigAl3D said:

My other question is, if GPUs are so fast, why aren't the used as CPUs? Right?

there is some limitation with GPU , and it is not good for large projects , because with cpu you can use a big render farm while you can't with a GPU render , you can read this http://forums.cgarchitect.com/76376-why-has-gpu-rendering-not-completely-eliminated-cpu-options.html

14 hours ago, BigAl3D said:

One other thing I'll mention, when rendering with Cycles on my MacPro, my computer is pretty useless

is not this normal ? 

GPU do most of the display stuff on your compute and if you used it to render , it won't have enough power to do the normal task normally .(correct me if I am wrong )

9 minutes ago, maliohammad said:

there is some limitation with gnu , and it is not good for large projects , because with cpu you can use a big render farm while you can't with a GPU render , you can read this http://forums.cgarchitect.com/76376-why-has-gpu-rendering-not-completely-eliminated-cpu-options.html

I setup my projects on an iMac and then use Teamrender on a couple of Mac Pros freeing up my iMac to setup the next scene or do some editing. I couldn't work like this if I had one workstation with loads of GPUs so CPU rendering is a better fit for me at the moment.

The latest Cycles4d demo build has been extremely unstable for me, even on very simple scenes.  Previous build was actually relatively usable.  

It's been a disappointing run so far.  Don't foresee getting the full version anytime soon.  

C4DtoA is still my favorite, albeit slow and expensive.  

2 hours ago, nerv said:

The latest Cycles4d demo build has been extremely unstable for me, even on very simple scenes.  Previous build was actually relatively usable.  

It's been a disappointing run so far.  Don't foresee getting the full version anytime soon.  

C4DtoA is still my favorite, albeit slow and expensive.  

Sorry to read you are having problems. If you contact our support we can help you to find why, generally issues are related to drivers, but if you are having those same problems with CPU rendering please contact us and we'll try and help.

• 4 months later...
Guest index

i read the cycles4d forum yesterday and decided not to use the 50% NABSALE discount.

people complain about small forum activity,

not getting any update since last year

and that cycles4d crashes a lot even with simplest scenes.

i suspect that cy4d has a very small userbase and development goes slow.

unless i dont see other signs it seems to be better to stay with octane for now,

if you want to do gpu rendering.

On 4/28/2017 at 0:18 AM, index said:

i read the cycles4d forum yesterday and decided not to use the 50% NABSALE discount.

people complain about small forum activity,

not getting any update since last year

and that cycles4d crashes a lot even with simplest scenes.

i suspect that cy4d has a very small userbase and development goes slow.

unless i dont see other signs it seems to be better to stay with octane for now,

if you want to do gpu rendering.

Though you're not entirely wrong on the stability issues, I've been beta testing the next update (releasing soon) and there are a LOT of fixes there. The Cycles rendering system is unique in that it gives your more flexibility than Octane does, and that's not including the very deep x-particles integration.  There are also a TON of resources in the already established blender community regarding how to work with Cycles.  A majority of the issues in the initial release have been due to incompatibilities in the Cycles core, not the Cycles Cinema 4D bridge.  It's also fast, renderes beautifully, and works on CPU / CUDA fantastically with solid OpenCL support coming in the next Cycles Core now that the split-kernel is complete (and then integrated into Cycles 4D),

Small forum activity isn't really an issue. I've found that there are a few posts a day, but again, this is a brand new renderer in a sea of rendering engines. Also the developers frequent the threads and will usually get back to you within the same day. Also the users that do participate are generally very knowledgable.

Octane is a fantastic renderer, and pretty much the industry standard for now, but Cycles is deep and I think their nodal system and the way you create shaders/materials is superior to the rest solely for the level of intricacy that you can control.  For anyone in Motion Graphics/Design, I think Cycles is one to look out for as I feel it has a lot of growth potential.

I second what Tibbs said. I think it's pretty damn incredible just slightly buggy currently and no render farms support it yet. It's buggier in r18 but seems fine in r17.

You HAVE to have a gpu to run it though. I honestly find it to be extremely undervalued right now. And why balk at half off for something that is already DIRTY cheap. I'd buy it just to try it out and learn something new. Why not?

Just my two cents on it.

Anyone know if the next version of Cycles4D will use the build that comes with 2.79 from Blender.org (the one with the OpenCL and performance enhancements)?

Guest MSakr
3 hours ago, Zmotive said:

Anyone know if the next version of Cycles4D will use the build that comes with 2.79 from Blender.org (the one with the OpenCL and performance enhancements)?

I do :) , it is the most recent build (till date 26/4), with major bug fixes.

Archived