Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Cycles for C4D

Thanks for that post Doc. I took your specs and put them into the Bathroom scene. Using my dual FirePros, I got a time of 5:28. After tweaking and doing many renders, I came up with settings that seem to be a good mix of quality and speed (see attached). 

My other question is, if GPUs are so fast, why aren't the used as CPUs? Right?

Best Quality vs Time for Me .jpg

One other thing I'll mention, when rendering with Cycles on my MacPro, my computer is pretty useless. It really hogs all the resources. Working while I'm rendering won't work, unless there are some parameters to prevent this from happening.

I'm not 100% sure but I think the Cycles core support for OpenCL is lagging behind CUDA a lot. You're probably not going to get fast, quality results with GPU rendering on a Mac.

3 hours ago, Tibbs said:

I'm not 100% sure but I think the Cycles core support for OpenCL is lagging behind CUDA a lot. You're probably not going to get fast, quality results with GPU rendering on a Mac.

I'm not even attempting to use the FirePros in the cylinder because Cycle's OpenCL support is poor right now. What I'm trying to figure out is a good combo of settings for using the CPU. I'll try some of BigAl's above. Might help.

17 hours ago, BigAl3D said:

My other question is, if GPUs are so fast, why aren't the used as CPUs? Right?

there is some limitation with GPU , and it is not good for large projects , because with cpu you can use a big render farm while you can't with a GPU render , you can read this http://forums.cgarchitect.com/76376-why-has-gpu-rendering-not-completely-eliminated-cpu-options.html

14 hours ago, BigAl3D said:

One other thing I'll mention, when rendering with Cycles on my MacPro, my computer is pretty useless

is not this normal ? 

GPU do most of the display stuff on your compute and if you used it to render , it won't have enough power to do the normal task normally .(correct me if I am wrong )

• Topic Author
  • 9 minutes ago, maliohammad said:

there is some limitation with gnu , and it is not good for large projects , because with cpu you can use a big render farm while you can't with a GPU render , you can read this http://forums.cgarchitect.com/76376-why-has-gpu-rendering-not-completely-eliminated-cpu-options.html

I setup my projects on an iMac and then use Teamrender on a couple of Mac Pros freeing up my iMac to setup the next scene or do some editing. I couldn't work like this if I had one workstation with loads of GPUs so CPU rendering is a better fit for me at the moment.

The latest Cycles4d demo build has been extremely unstable for me, even on very simple scenes.  Previous build was actually relatively usable.  

It's been a disappointing run so far.  Don't foresee getting the full version anytime soon.  

C4DtoA is still my favorite, albeit slow and expensive.  

2 hours ago, nerv said:

The latest Cycles4d demo build has been extremely unstable for me, even on very simple scenes.  Previous build was actually relatively usable.  

It's been a disappointing run so far.  Don't foresee getting the full version anytime soon.  

C4DtoA is still my favorite, albeit slow and expensive.  

Sorry to read you are having problems. If you contact our support we can help you to find why, generally issues are related to drivers, but if you are having those same problems with CPU rendering please contact us and we'll try and help.

There's an update available with several feature changes (behavior changes) and bug fixes.

Guest index
  • Topic Author
  • i read the cycles4d forum yesterday and decided not to use the 50% NABSALE discount.

people complain about small forum activity,

not getting any update since last year

and that cycles4d crashes a lot even with simplest scenes.

i suspect that cy4d has a very small userbase and development goes slow.

unless i dont see other signs it seems to be better to stay with octane for now,

if you want to do gpu rendering.