MAXON is happy to invite you to a 'MAXON User Meetings 2017' which are taking place on 29.09. in Cologne, 06.10. in Hamburg, 13.10. in Munich. Regardless where you are, you are more than welcome to join the meeting. :)

For some more information please click HERE!

Cutman

Cycles for C4D

Cutman    125
8 hours ago, Zmotive said:

So am I understanding correctly that Cycles will give us the option to use a completely different materials system within C4D?

Yes, the Blender material system, as Slouchcorp said, the C4D materials won't work.

It'll be interesting to see if Cycles can access the maps imported via Substance materials in R18?

Zmotive    49

Right, so the "mapping" doesn't work in either direction (C4D shaders > Cycles or Cycles > C4D shaders). Substance integration would be good for a lot of people. Won't help me though because no Nvidia card. 

That said looks like we'll have a wholly independent, robust materials system (a nodal system no less) inside C4D. The only concern I'd have is, would it only integrate with X-Particles and certain parts of C4D like MoGraph, or would it integrate with all other C4D systems (that would otherwise use the native C4D materials system)? Hopefully the latter and looking at those screenshots I missed from Friday (awesome!) it looks like that's the case. 

Eager to see that next newsletter. Hopefully we'll have something to play with this year. For my part, I'm excitd more because of the live preview and integration with XP than the nodal materials (which is powerful but will take time to learn / be good at) As long as it runs fast and stable on the 2013 Mac Pro I'd be real happy with that. I need something that can give me a chance to do rapid design iteration with XP systems, ideally with some skinning although to be realistic probably can't be HQ — that will still have to happen at render time I imagine.

Does anyone in here have the RealFlow|C4D plugin yet? I can't remember if that has a live preview. If it doesn't and if it runs into the same problems on the native viewport XP can, I wonder if Cycles Live Preview would run RF sims?

bezo    400

I do not expect support of substances when release (maybe in later upgrades) Looks like independent material system...

scottywood    1

I've worked quite a bit with Cycles in Blender since it's initial development, and I definitely love using it. It's not always perfect but it's pretty powerful and gets better at a jaw dropping rate, this is a pretty exciting thing to get access to in C4D. A major bonus in my eye is the open development in it has led to a great deal of learning resources on it. Hopefully those will translate with this implementation.

Just to note a few resources, I'd assume the logic would work with the C4D port to cycles (Some are paid, I have no affiliation to them, but CG cookie is a really great resource. A lot of online education providers should pay attention to what these guys are doing.):

https://cgcookie.com/course/shader-forge/#lessons

http://www.blenderdiplom.com/en/shop/576-the-cycles-encyclopedia.html

http://www.blenderguru.com/articles/cycles-shader-encyclopedia/

• Like 1

chukx    0
On 8/9/2016 at 10:52 AM, Cutman said:

Yes, the Blender material system, as Slouchcorp said, the C4D materials won't work.

It'll be interesting to see if Cycles can access the maps imported via Substance materials in R18?

I believe it should, since Blender Cycles is able to do so, through incredibly deep editing just as @slouchcorp said.

Zmotive    49

I spent about a half hour digging through the 2.77 documentation that describes the different categories of nodes in Cycles and the nodes themselves. It seems at least on the level of how surfaces, colors, and reflectivity / transparency behaviors are defined and separated out, to be fairly intuitive. However knowing the best way in which to order those nodes to create an effect is another thing. The sequence matters a lot obviously. Looking forward to learning more / expanding my horizons a bit. 

One thing I haven't given much thought to is whether and how the output of a series of nodes you put together, could be applied to particle skins in XP. Eager to understand how Cycles and its materials system will impact XP workflow beyond  speed of the live viewer. Maybe the workflow will be (essentially): 1) create your material look in the nodes editor; 2) create your particle system; 3) link your output node to an element in the XP system, exposing animatable parameters in the node tree; 4) go nuts. Trying to get a mental picture of how that stuff will work when combined with a nodal system.

bezo    400

I am sure when Cycles4D (wrote it without hesitation, simply looks great as name :-)) become a reality, we will get as good as help as in XParticles and bunch off tutorials and examples...

Zmotive    49

I've been playing with Blender a bit today (for other reasons beyond messing with Cycles) and it appears (to my surprise) this app does not have a parametric capability that ties to its "primitive mesh" system. No mention in documentation or online searches either. Is this really the case? No parametric editing? I thought this was a universal feature among the main 3D editors these days. 

DamienP    0

In those test shots, I noticed that you were rendering on the CPU. However there was a little down arrow, is it safe to assume the GPU will be supported in the view port and available to render?

Cutman    125

Cycles on OpenCL lags behind CUDA for features.

Hopefully there's enough fidelity to test renders using the GPU on OS X that's all I'll require as I'll continue to render via CPU on the Mac Pro farm.

This page offers a comparison of available features on CPU, CUDA and OpenCL.

Feature CPU CUDA (NVIDIA GPU) OpenCL (AMD GPU)
Basic Shading
Transparent Shadows
Motion Blur
Hair
Volume
Smoke / Fire
Subsurface Scattering
Open Shading Language
CMJ sampling
Branched Path integrator
Displacement / Subdivision ✔ (experimental) ✔ (experimental) ✔ (experimental)

Zmotive    49

*hangs head in despair*

Just when I thought the OS X / OpenCL nightmare was passing. Should've guessed this would be the case.

Hopefully the CPU performance is top-notch. With so many features missing from the OpenCL side (and something I doubt Insydium can fix by themselves), not much reason to consider using that method.

hvanderwegen    27
On 2016-08-10 at 5:28 PM, Zmotive said:

I've been playing with Blender a bit today (for other reasons beyond messing with Cycles) and it appears (to my surprise) this app does not have a parametric capability that ties to its "primitive mesh" system. No mention in documentation or online searches either. Is this really the case? No parametric editing? I thought this was a universal feature among the main 3D editors these days. 

For what it is worth, back when I did my modeling in Cinema4d, 99% of the time I hit the shortcut key to convert to a mesh after adding an object. For polygonal modeling it is not very useful. A  non-destructive modifier stack is more valuable, in my opinion, and Blender does offer that. Text is also non-destructive and parametric.

Lightwave's and Modo's base objects aren't parametric either, as far as I am aware.

Each application has its strengths and missing features. Give and take.