Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Cycles for C4D

• Topic Author
  • 12 minutes ago, Zmotive said:

And then Apple switched APIs again. Naturally, one of their proprietary APIs that no one else on the planet is going to use for PCs or Linux or whatever.

The good news with Metal, DX12 and Mantle, er, I mean Vulkan they're all born out of the same/similar philosophy and I'm told if you write for one you can write for them all. All the APIs are tiny so the developers do most of the work outside of the API which should mean much more cross platform code is under their control, at least that's what I've read on GPU tech sites. Probably a huge simplification in reality.

Metal Compute, as far as I understand, is OpenCL 2.1 written in C++11 just to be different.

It'll be interesting to see which 3D app is the first to support the new APIs, MAXON? If the marketing is right audit makes it easier for developers to write cross platform code then a company like MAXON with such an even 50/50 split must sure be considering the new APIs.

8 hours ago, Cutman said:

The good news with Metal, DX12 and Mantle, er, I mean Vulkan they're all born out of the same/similar philosophy and I'm told if you write for one you can write for them all. All the APIs are tiny so the developers do most of the work outside of the API which should mean much more cross platform code is under their control, at least that's what I've read on GPU tech sites. Probably a huge simplification in reality.

Metal Compute, as far as I understand, is OpenCL 2.1 written in C++11 just to be different.

It'll be interesting to see which 3D app is the first to support the new APIs, MAXON? If the marketing is right audit makes it easier for developers to write cross platform code then a company like MAXON with such an even 50/50 split must sure be considering the new APIs.

I think it's a little different than that. From Apple's own description it's a new API they wrote and (for lack of a better word) layers built into it for OpenCL and OpenGL in order to bring backward compatibility. That was from last year's WWDC schpiel. I believe they made minor additions to Metal this year, addressing some of the missing features relevant to 3D work, but I don't know the details and haven't heard much fanfare from developers since WWDC. Nothing to give me hope Apple got it right.

Although Adobe did start adopting Metal in this most recent release of AE, so who the hell knows. Anything is possible.

Guest DamienP
  • Topic Author
  • I tried to replicate the dragon render in Blender Cycles with the C4D node setup on page one. It was not even close for me, Using an entirely different node setup, this is the closest I came to it. 

Dragon Test 2.png

Node setup.PNG

Blender has me scratching my head. Still tinkering with it the last few days when not working on other stuff. While the UI looks nicer than I anticipated and is somewhat more customizeable, the actual methods of interacting are a PITA compared to C4D. Props to MAXON for getting that right a long time ago.

Theres a custom absorption group in the dragon network, but it was copied from a tutorial

Hey @slouchcorp - there any way to beta test this? thx!

Thanks Mike for good news.

Here is first preview

Breathtaking video for me...Love this workflow.