Cycles for C4D

8 minutes ago, flippyfloop said:

I'm about to buy Octane today but now I'm having second thoughts.

Wish there was more info. Watched Mike's vid and it does look nice and easy to use, very C4D friendly.

Also spent the last 3 weeks with the Octane demo and various tutorials and I love it. 

Got x2 GTX 980ti matrix GPU's due for delivery this Wednesday.

What to do, what to do ?

Hm...Get both :-)

btw, very good price for renderer+3nodes

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 minutes ago, flippyfloop said:

I'm about to buy Octane today but now I'm having second thoughts.

Wish there was more info. Watched Mike's vid and it does look nice and easy to use, very C4D friendly.

Also spent the last 3 weeks with the Octane demo and various tutorials and I love it. 

Got x2 GTX 980ti matrix GPU's due for delivery this Wednesday.

What to do, what to do ?

Get both! ha.

I would wait until cycles is released and see what the first reviews are like, but it looks pretty awesome. You can always play with blender if you're really busting to see what it's like.

This is a pretty cool blender + cycles thing I saw today which octane doesn't have:

Not fully compatible I guess.. but thats the standard practice when you work with an external render engine. They all have their own set of materials / lights and camera in most softwares. In Cinema, usually we just add a tag to the camera or lights, and the materials can be easily replaced because sometimes you only need to change those with displacement or bump maps, and usually the workflow involves alt dragging the new material into the old one and an object tag.

Anyway, you always should be using the material from your render engine.

If I was still using C4D I would give up on the built in material system and go with the Cycles renderer and Cycles material system. It looks to be way better thought out than the half finished material system that C4D currently has. By half finished I'm referring to no nodes and an overly complex specular and reflection layer system plus C4D's renderer makes no use of the graphics card.

3 hours ago, 3DKiwi said:

If I was still using C4D I would give up on the built in material system and go with the Cycles renderer and Cycles material system. It looks to be way better thought out than the half finished material system that C4D currently has. By half finished I'm referring to no nodes and an overly complex specular and reflection layer system plus C4D's renderer makes no use of the graphics card.

Yeah, this is the rule when using another render engine, use their materials, lights and camera. Cycles looks like they took some inspiration from ICE. Cant wait to try it on Cinema. And although we already have Arnold, Octane, Redshift, Maxwell, Iray and Furryball to choose from, Cycles look the less expensive of them all. Do all softwares have so many render engines to choose from?

@slouchcorp Insydium

Do you have any CPU benchmarks comparing Cycles with C4D's Physical renderer please?

I'm a Mac user so I understand the OpenCL side is more limited but I intend to Team Render with the office Mac Pros and would be interested in a Cycles4D vs Physical CPU render off comparison.

Can you make any comment regarding speed? I'm very tempted by Cycles4D and it could be an excellent replacement for the Physical renderer if it is fast enough.

Very interested in this but a little concerned over comments about not being able to handle parametric objects.  Did I read that right?  Not sure if that means it would not be able to support Forester or not...or at least the library of trees/plants that come with Forester.    Someone also mentioned if integration with Substance Designer was possible.  That would be great, but again probably out of Insydium's control unless Alegorithmic was already working with Blender on that.  Not sure.

While this has been talked about since the early summer, I was also wondering if Insydium has been contacted by any of C4D's model or plugin vendors about whether or not they should start working on a port to Cycles 4D.  While I don't expect that discussion to occur with the developers of TFD or Realflow (for obvious reasons), some news that discussions with the C4D Depot team (makers of Infinite Oceans, etc), Laubwerks, The Pixel Lab or 3D Quakers (Forester) have occurred concerning their model libraries being rendered by Cycles 4D would be encouraging news.

Also interested to see a video that just goes deeper into X-Particles integration with Cycles 4D.  What new effects can be created that you currently can't get with C4D's native renderer would be a key area of interest.  

Finally, there was a mention that X-Particles customers would get a discount.  Any more information on that?  Any pre-release pricing specials planned?

Thanks,

Dave

49 minutes ago, 3D-Pangel said:

Very interested in this but a little concerned over comments about not being able to handle parametric objects.  

If it didn't work with parametric objects it would be virtually useless. Where did you read that BTW?

Archived