Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

mikechambers

First Serious Render (Feedback appreciated)

• Topic Author
  • I have been playing around with Cinema 4D for about 2 weeks now (having a blast). Attached is the first project I have done, where I have really tried to make it look good / realistic. I know it is a pretty simple scene, but I wanted to go for a simple, clean composition.

I am happy with how it looks in general, but feel its not quite photorealistic, most likely due to the lighting. Any suggestions or feedback is greatly welcome.

museum0001.png

Yep - that's not bad, but I think the reason you are lacking photo-reality is lack of subtle surface detail, no irregularities, and blown-out lighting (which just wouldn't be allowed to occur in a gallery setting). 

That wall will have some sort of texture to it, and will be subtly worn and torn, even in a well curated gallery, as will the frame and even the canvas.

I'm also not a sure a black frame is how a gallery would choose to display that piece. I realise it's a bit subjective, so if you like it, keep it, but I think it's a little jarring against all that off-white.

Lastly, imagining a human standing looking at that - specifically the size of them; I think the floor texture is wrongly scaled (planks too big) ?

Hope some, or any of that helps

CBR

• Topic Author
  • Thanks. For wall texture, is just some simple noise enough? And for the blown out lights, are you talking about on the bottom half of the picture? Ive been messing with this, but I keep getting oeverall lights too dim, so it feels to dark. Ill mess around with it. Ill look at the floor texture size again too.

Also, any tips or suggestions on adding imperfections? Do I just add some subtle smudge textures? or camera imperfections?

Thanks for taking the time to give me input. Its super helpful.

One thing that @Cerbera did not mention, was the shadows and Ambient Occlusion is way too soft/large. That in itself can make a scene look small. Most galleries use spot lights for their displays which make much crisper shadows. Maybe not full raytrace, but a much higher value. You can find it in the Shadow tab of your light, then look for Shadow Map (assuming you chose Soft Shadow). I just did a quick scene to real-world scale and my shadow map was 1500 which looked about right compared to images I saw of art galleries. Also, black frames are very common around art/photos. The wood plank scale did not jump out at me though. You can buy 6" wide plank flooring which is twice the size of traditional planks. My two cents.

Nice effort man, but yea the lighting looks off to me, aswell as the shadows, the whole room/scene has a glow going on thats not very realistic. Also ive not been to an art gallery but i would imagine that wooden floor would be laminated /lackerd? So that it can be polished? So id add a little bit of glossyness/blurred reflectivity to that flooring. Also as cerbera pointed out theres no real variation to the materials, different materials will have different amounts of reflectiveness/specular ect. They all look kinda the same.

• Topic Author
  • ok. Here is the latest version, trying to add some texture to the canvas and wall. Im really not happy with the lighting, but Im also lost about which way to go (again, I am learning).

I actually have some reflections on the floor, and frame, and baseboard, but because the camera is straight on, im not getting any highlights. I try lighting from the side to bring out some small texture, details, but that didnt really do much. Ill look into maybe bumping them up a bit.

I think the main thing is I just need to really dive into understanding lighting better.

Right now, I have an overhead softbox type light, a spotlight on the image, and then a back light (behind the camera). One of the big issues has been keeping the scene lit, while not blowing out the image, especially at the bottom of the image. Not having much success with that.

Ill search around for some good resources on lighting basics.

museum0001.png

This is a really good start! 

Personally, id move the frame and label up in the scene, from a composition perspective, it looks too low. have a look at the rule of thirds for composition. Maybe also think about the camera being at a slight angle, rather than straight on to the painting....may add some realism...rarely would you stand directly in front of something. 

I also agree with the wall requiring some texture.....maybe try a very subtle bump....try out all the variations, see what works. lighting is better in this version compared to the first one. 

Keep working! Its worth it  ::):

• Topic Author
  • ok. Here is a new version. Main changes here are tighter framing, and a bit stronger lighting to create a little more visual interest with shadows. I have also added some textures to the wall and canvas, but im not sure if they are coming through.

I feel image is still a little blown out at the bottom of the picture, and floor a bit, but im not really sure what to do about that (I have done a ton of adjusting but just cant dial it in).

I appreciate all of the feedback. It has been really helpful.

museum0001.png

Guest dataflow

i think the biggest problem is how bright your light is.

here is the second last image but a lowered the brightness and saturation in PS

gal-copy.png

• Topic Author
  • @dataflow

Thanks. Yeah, I played around with lowering the intensity of the light, but it began to feel like it was in a sunny room without and lights on (which would work for a hallway, but not a museum). But I agree, the image is really blown out on the bottom of the picture, and floor.

Thanks for all of the input. Ive learned a ton just from this thread.

@mikechambers Not sure if you're rendering with Global Illumination (can also work with regular renderer), but you may want to build up the areas off-camera. For example, there is probably other artwork on either side and they would have their own lights which would add a little light your main subject. You also could add an ambient light or Environment Object so you can have a baseline of like, then you spot.

On 9/4/2016 at 0:42 AM, mikechambers said:

Thanks. For wall texture, is just some simple noise enough?

Yes in my experience it is. Below is a picture of a render I did yesterday. IMO, the scale is a bit large but it kind of gives it a plaster look. you might want to play around with different sizes and noise types and see what works best. Since the focus is the picture, maybe make the noise more subtle than I did?

AzRKrum.jpg