Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

aneirin

Coal Material

• Topic Author
  • Hi guys, I need to make a realistic coal material that's good enough for a slow macro close up shot and I'm completely stumped. Trying to get the right combination of matt/reflective surfaces and rough displacement is driving me insane. Does anyone have any suggestions? Or could you point me to somewhere I could buy one? I've been searching for a while and couldn't find anything for c4d.

this is the kind of look I'm after: Hands-with-Coal.jpg

Thanks

That shouldn't be too tricky. Start with an Oren-nayar diffuse mode colour channel.

In that colour channel, do a layer shader with several different types of large scale noise in varying shades of dark grey / almost black, at different scales, and probably in overlay mode.

In the reflection channel texture slot load a layer, and have a noise mask between 2 other noise layers, one an overall lighter grey than the other. Increase the contrast on the mask layer to get sharper transitions between reflection levels.

Turn specular off, or if you really want it, set it wide and low.

In bump - same again - layered noises

You can, but I wouldn't use displacement - I'd sculpt it, as it's often easier to get the rocky look with the flatten and scrape tools.

Well that's how I'd do it. Hope some / any of that helped. I can't do it for you because I don't have R15 installed any more.

CBR

My approach is to use photo based bitmaps in cubic projection.

Using Crazy Bumps I prepare normal map and displacement map from a bitmap of real coal.

(Crazy Bump can also prepare other maps - specular, occlusion but they are less useful  for this purpose)

Mesh I prepare from terrain in  spherical mode, then Current state to object  and I deform it using Brush

I test material "shape" using only normal and displacement channels (using maps prepared with Crazy Bumps)

Then if it looks OK  I  place maps into reflectance channel and I tinker a little bit using layer shader merging bitmaps with procedural noises - it's hard to explain in detail - everything depends what kind of bitmaps you have, and what you need to improve - a lot of tinkering, but usually it is faster when I start from photo based map instead of using only procedural noises, also it renders faster.  -Sent me your e-mail, I'll give you the link to coal c4d file with maps on my dropbox

It look like this :

coal.jpg

• Topic Author
  • Thanks both of you, those are some great tips! I'll give it a try now.

Yeah If you could send me that scene file that would be a big help.

• Topic Author
  • Brilliant, thank you very much!