Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Guest storrence

Simulating Atmospheric refraction

43 minutes ago, storrence said:

Thanks. I've not heard of unbiased and biased render engines. Will check them out. I did notice I got different results when choosing different render engines in the settings.

sure , every render engine give deferent result , if you changed from standard to physical you will get much deferent result ! 

but keep in mind with every render engine you have to rebuild materials . 

Guest storrence
  • Topic Author
  • I was able to get the refraction working but now have a problem with the lens effect on the sun. It seems invisible to the refraction layer 5 miles up. Is it because the lens effect is not actually attached to the object? Any other way to make this look more sun like but still effected by the refraction? The real position of the sun is actually higher than the frame which is where the lens effect appears if you could see it.

I think it's because lens FX are post effects, so are unable to take your refraction into account. I'm not having any ideas how you might get round that.

you can make a disk with material with alpha channel (the shape of lens effect ) , you can search for them online , or make a light with lens effect (pure white ) on a black background , and placed far away with the proper size , then it will be calculated in the reflections .

Guest storrence
  • Topic Author
  • I already have a sphere with bright white texture as the sun with regular sunlight inside. So I should mess with the alpha channel on the sphere I have as child of sun or create a new texture?

Guest storrence
  • Topic Author
  • Yes Cerbera, exactly what I thought the problem was. Too bad they can't make a toggle for that so you can choose to have it pre effect or post effect.

Guest storrence
  • Topic Author
  • 2 hours ago, maliohammad said:

you can make a disk with material with alpha channel (the shape of lens effect ) , you can search for them online , or make a light with lens effect (pure white ) on a black background , and placed far away with the proper size , then it will be calculated in the reflections .

Is this what you are referring to? I don't see it effecting it at all. I must be doing something wrong.

alpha.jpg

18 minutes ago, storrence said:

Is this what you are referring to? I don't see it effecting it at all. I must be doing something wrong.

alpha.jpg

no , I meant using a lens flare  Image (jpeg, png ...etc ) and apply to a an object ,

BTW, in the screenshot above you have color channel enabled , right ?

Guest storrence
  • Topic Author
  • Well I ended removing the extra sphere on the sun. Didn't need it at all and to get the sun more realistic it was a very easy solution. 

Guest storrence
  • Topic Author
  • I'm using the sky plugin to get the day and night sky color. I turn everything off like sun moon planets since they get refracted and lowered through the refraction layer.. The problem I'm having though is remnants of the sky tag are showing through like the glow of the sun that is lower than my actual sun. Also the nice color change effect from day to night gets messed up a bit coming through the refraction. I need the refraction so can't remove that but I'm wondering since I'm only using this sky and atmosphere effect from the physical sky tag, is there a way to make the sky do that without the physical sky tag or is that some internal feature only available in the tag?

8 hours ago, storrence said:

I'm using the sky plugin to get the day and night sky color. I turn everything off like sun moon planets since they get refracted and lowered through the refraction layer.. The problem I'm having though is remnants of the sky tag are showing through like the glow of the sun that is lower than my actual sun. Also the nice color change effect from day to night gets messed up a bit coming through the refraction. I need the refraction so can't remove that but I'm wondering since I'm only using this sky and atmosphere effect from the physical sky tag, is there a way to make the sky do that without the physical sky tag or is that some internal feature only available in the tag?

you can turn off many things (even the physical sky , so you can make the sky color pure black ) or you can use compositing tag to get certain effects , maybe you can disable every thing except  the reflection and refraction .

Guest storrence
  • Topic Author
  • What I would like to do is only use the color of the sky that is connected to the longitude latitude. It gives a nice representation of the area for the time of the year. What I would like to not see is the glow of the sun because my refraction layer in between causes it to be lower than it should. The sun in physical sky is easy to uncheck but the glow I can't find how to turn off. If that's not possible then is it possible to just create the sky color another way and then I can turn off physical sky completely. I'm using very little from it.

Also I want to track the azimut of the sun so I use the R.H of the camera that is targeting the sun. The problem is it's range is -90 to 270 and I need it 0-360. I tried using only range mapper because it seemed it would work but no matter how I set it, I can't seem to get it right. For example when the R.H of the camera says 0 and I move the sun forward, it goes to -1° then -2° and then when it gets to -90° to goes to 270. So the range seems to be -90 to 270 which I need to be 0-360

range.jpg