Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Guest storrence

Simulating Atmospheric refraction

3 hours ago, storrence said:

My point was not to just create the look of the effect. That is easy and can be done like you suggest. I wanted to test a theory and needed to model refraction in a more accurate way. Thanks for the suggestion to try a sphere. Didn't think of that. Also I noticed you can have more than one texture pure object and then mix them together so I'm curious what that would result in if they each had different refraction levels. The density gradient effect is what I'm after.

well , mixing texture will mix colour only (and some other minor thing ) but you can't explain real-word theories inside a biased render engine , you can download arnold trail and try to do this (arnold is unbiased render engine ), good luck with what you wanna do :) 

Guest storrence
  • Topic Author
  • Author of the topic Posted

Thanks. I've not heard of unbiased and biased render engines. Will check them out. I did notice I got different results when choosing different render engines in the settings.

43 minutes ago, storrence said:

Thanks. I've not heard of unbiased and biased render engines. Will check them out. I did notice I got different results when choosing different render engines in the settings.

sure , every render engine give deferent result , if you changed from standard to physical you will get much deferent result ! 

but keep in mind with every render engine you have to rebuild materials . 

Guest storrence
  • Topic Author

I was able to get the refraction working but now have a problem with the lens effect on the sun. It seems invisible to the refraction layer 5 miles up. Is it because the lens effect is not actually attached to the object? Any other way to make this look more sun like but still effected by the refraction? The real position of the sun is actually higher than the frame which is where the lens effect appears if you could see it.

I think it's because lens FX are post effects, so are unable to take your refraction into account. I'm not having any ideas how you might get round that.

you can make a disk with material with alpha channel (the shape of lens effect ) , you can search for them online , or make a light with lens effect (pure white ) on a black background , and placed far away with the proper size , then it will be calculated in the reflections .

Guest storrence
  • Topic Author

I already have a sphere with bright white texture as the sun with regular sunlight inside. So I should mess with the alpha channel on the sphere I have as child of sun or create a new texture?

Guest storrence
  • Topic Author

Yes Cerbera, exactly what I thought the problem was. Too bad they can't make a toggle for that so you can choose to have it pre effect or post effect.

Guest storrence
  • Topic Author
    2 hours ago, maliohammad said:

you can make a disk with material with alpha channel (the shape of lens effect ) , you can search for them online , or make a light with lens effect (pure white ) on a black background , and placed far away with the proper size , then it will be calculated in the reflections .

Is this what you are referring to? I don't see it effecting it at all. I must be doing something wrong.

alpha.jpg

18 minutes ago, storrence said:

Is this what you are referring to? I don't see it effecting it at all. I must be doing something wrong.

alpha.jpg

no , I meant using a lens flare  Image (jpeg, png ...etc ) and apply to a an object ,

BTW, in the screenshot above you have color channel enabled , right ?