3DKiwi

Cactus Dan has passed away

My last communication with Dan went like this:

Howdy Tony,

Yes, it's on the list for bug fixes. Seems like I had it working before, but I think I was only testing on a more simple object.

Adios,
Cactus Dan

On May 26, 2016, at 3:49 PM, Tony wrote:

Howdy Dan,

it's in a situation like this that I would like to use the CD Make Symmetrical command with the Preserve UVWs checked. Any plans for this tool?

Adios,

Tony

When you used the command, it loused up the UVs.  I wonder if anyone will take up his to do list? These tools are extremely valuable to users that want a Maya tool set in C4D.

I am writing plugins myself (not published yet), and I asked a question in the forum. To my utter pleasure, Cactus Dan wrote me a personal message, with tips on how to compile plugins for both Windows and Mac (I am on Windows). Such a nice guy! I had looked forward to exchange plugin writing experiences with him further up the road. That he is gone, is very sad. Rest in peace, Cactus Dan, you will be missed, a lot.

-Ingvar

• Like 1

Wow, so sad to hear this. I remember he'd had surgery years ago and was away for months, so maybe not a surprise to him. I bought his CD Tools back in 2007 I think. He was very helpful with support and his videos were so detailed, I had to watch them four or five times. One time, I was at another studio an needed to edit the animations I did with his tools, but that shop didn't own them. I sent him an e-mail explaining my situation, and he e-mailed me a new installer for Windows so I could get the job done. THAT's customer service.

Always liked his "Adios" sign off, which loosely translates from Spanish as "to God" or "travel with God" which is why people say it when you leave.

Sad day indeed for the C4D community.

• Like 1

Wow!  I just learned the sad news.  What a gentleman he was.  I met him once at Siggpraph 2006 and he was just the most unassuming and polite person you could ever hope to meet.  Just a generally nice guy.  I even had trouble converting a model from Sci-fi.net to C4D and he offered to help with one of his plugins.  

So my heart is saddened by the loss.  Based on the post at CG Networks, I gather he was a private person but my thoughts go to his family.  I have no idea if his passing creates a financial hardship for his wife or children (if any) but if anyone knows please let us know.   While not a character animator, I would buy his plugins if that would help out his family.

I will keep them all in my prayers.

Dave

On 9/25/2016 at 9:04 AM, SIgor said:

I am speechless. This is 2nd fellow artist to leave us in such short period of time. I am really sad by this...Dan was one of the guys who kept this forum alive. 

Who was the first?  I have been on a number of business trips out of the country with more to come, so my time on the Forum has been limited and will continue to be limited for at least 6 more weeks.  But to come back to news such as this is bad enough but now there was another passing that I missed?

This is horrible.

Dave

23 minutes ago, 3D-Pangel said:

Who was the first?  I have been on a number of business trips out of the country with more to come, so my time on the Forum has been limited and will continue to be limited for at least 6 more weeks.  But to come back to news such as this is bad enough but now there was another passing that I missed?

This is horrible.

Dave

It was Chris from cmiVFX...

Desperately sad news. Like others, I was always struck by how relentlessly helpful and responsive Dan was, either in the forums or via email. His tutorial videos gave me an excellent crash-course in rigging, and on more than one occasion he was generous enough to give me assistance that really got me out of a hole, without ever asking for anything in return - although I was always happy to buy another plug-in to say thanks :)

A real loss to the community.

Adios Dan.

• Like 1

Deeply saddened by the news.  Dan was a great teacher and great person, and he will be deeply missed!

I sure wish someone would take up his franchise. With all his videos and tools that allow so much automation into the animation game, it's a shame to see it fade away with it's currant users.