Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Rectro

Vray Render tests for Skin and translucent surfaces

59 minutes ago, bentraje said:

"overal colour bears the most importance". Thanks for the heads up. I actually leave it as it is. I mean I don't put the image map to it. I only put the image map on the sub surface and scatter channels.

"The diffuse colour stops light penetrating so yes it holds back the SSS effect which can be nice to give a bit of contrast back." 
Thanks for confirming that. 

"To note if your model is not real world scale, you should use the scale parameter,"
I think my model is in real world scale. I modeled it along side a full-sized body to keep my scale in check. 

Oh by the way, is  there like a rough rule for skin shader's scatter radius? For instance, a 40cm wide head should have a 10% scatter radius (or 4cm).

You should put a diffuse colour map in overall colour for fast sss,  this gets the tones of the face  such as lips,  general tones. . The yellow and red layers offer the other tones that give off the soft translucent feel,  and back scatter colour such as the ears. . The radius settings that are there are set according to real world papers,  I m sure these figures are online. . Generally speaking each layer has more radius that the last from top dermal,  epidermis to sub dermis as the deepest radius because the light must penetrate deeper to the blood layer. 

Dan