Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Guest TeamZissou

Best practice for first model

Guest TeamZissou
  • Topic Author
  • @Cerbera Knife cuts it is then! Is there a way to repeat the same cuts on each side of the triangle without having to eyeball each new one?

Thanks for the further instruction, I think I follow, let me know if this is correct so far. I wasn't sure how to pull each edge out to an equal amount to the previous one.

A.jpg

B.jpg

Sort of. Try it like this...

sides extrude.jpg

If you used extrude to pull those edges out, then you can just click 'New Transform' in the tool to repeat the last action.

What I tend to do is ctrl-drag instead, also holding shift to quantize the movement, making it easy to repeat exact distance the other side.

Guest TeamZissou
  • Topic Author
  • @Cerbera Right, I have been ctrl dragging but thanks for the extrude/new transform tip.

I got as far as your fourth example, Im struggling to level it out. Should I have all three top edges selected at this point or just two? 

Thanks for your patience!

All 3 top edges selected. Then click the scale tool, and in its attributes (modelling axis tab), move the Z slider so that the axis moves up to the top edge. Then scale on the Y handle, holding shift to quantize the movement to 0, and the bit that is currently sloping should straighten out as you move it.

Guest TeamZissou
  • Topic Author
  • 4 minutes ago, Cerbera said:

All 3 top edges selected. Then click the scale tool, and in its attributes (modelling axis tab), move the Z slider so that the axis moves up to the top edge. Then scale on the Y handle, holding shift to quantize the movement to 0, and the bit that is currently sloping should straighten out as you move it.

Perfect, thanks! I scaled with the Z handle though is this correct?

Just going back to those additional manual knife line cuts we discussed earlier, when making them is there a way to make sure the line is an equal distance from both corners as pictured here. Currently I'm just starting on one edge and then eyeballing where it will end. 

Also when these additional cuts have been made is there a way to repeat them to the remaining two sides of the triangle or do you simply have to do each one manually?

SS.jpg

Yep, sorry, Z handle is right for your scene. 

If you use loop mode in the knife tool, that should cut straight across, so the distances will be equal. 

The answer to your last question is no - the program can't guess what you want to do next :) You have to make the cuts manually.

Guest TeamZissou
  • Topic Author
  • Thanks @Cerbera I did try the loop option but it seems to be following the shape of the quad rather than going straight across as you can see in the first example.

Just to clarify with my previous question, if I have made three cuts as shown in the second example, is there a way to copy/duplicate these for each side of the triangle?

SS3.jpg

SS4.jpg

Ah OK, I'm in R18, which doesn't do that - I had forgotten R17''s loop mode does it differently. You'll have to go into point mode and slide the middle point in line with the other 2. If precision is absolutely crucial (and it very rarely is) then you can create a guide, and use guide snapping to knife in your cuts.

6 minutes ago, TeamZissou said:

Just to clarify with my previous question, if I have made three cuts as shown in the second example, is there a way to copy/duplicate these for each side of the triangle?

No.

Guest TeamZissou
  • Topic Author
  • Got it, thanks @Cerbera

I think I'll power through that playlist before continuing.

With the model I am hoping to create do you think it is best to start from this corner triangle and just work outwards? Is it best to try and keep it as one object rather than creating multiple ones for each element in the scene?

No worries.

For making your panel, where you start depends on your approach. Are you going to use 2-way symmetry, for example ? If you were I would start with the window frame, and work out from there, modelling just a quarter of the panel.

Do we have any better reference material for this ? A flat, top down view of one of the panels would be most helpful. Without that, you might be better starting by creating splines that outline the main elements on a locked layer, just so that you have a clear and constant idea of the shapes you are trying to model over the top.

Here's how I would do the triangle shape. Select the 6 outer edges and do a Bevel but change the mode to Solid. I also changed the mitring to uniform as this gave what I would say is a cleaner result.

Bevel.png

I just did this really roughly and quickly, but this is the sort of edge flow I'd use to make the main frame. As you can see, I made a spline reference guide, and only modelled a quarter of it, symmetry doing the rest...

panel.jpg