Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Guest TeamZissou

Best practice for first model

20 minutes ago, TeamZissou said:

Is there a way to make each cut from the centre point join to exactly half way of each side?

Yep. Turn on snapping, edge snap, and mid-point snap.

Was this done with inner extrude or did you carry on making knife cuts?

If you want sharp corners do it with the knife tool in line mode, if you want soft corners (and don't want to describe the shape with additional points) then you'd use inner extrude. The sharpness comes from how the lines interact at the corners and how many of them there are. 

Once the triangular shape was created, how did you then create the rectangular plane which it sits within?

I ctrl-dragged sets of edges out from the left side of the triangle, then selected all the top edges, and did the same, although you also have to scale those to 0 on Y (move the modelling axis to the outer edge and hold shift as you scale to quantize movement) to flatten them out to rectangle shape. Same for the bottom edges. Then add control loops with the knife tool in loop mode to isolate the triangle geometry from the outer perimeter shape.

5 hours ago, TeamZissou said:

Thank you for the corridor scene, that is great, I disabled everything back to the single wall panel (very helpful to see how it was mirrored and cloned, thanks!) Did this start as a single plane? If so how was the overall shape created. Also would I be right in thinking that the grill/vent areas were created with extrude and bevel? Did you cut the initial shape or simply select a rectangle of polygons within the plane?

The walls started as a low resolution cylinder and roughed out the shape with the vents. This was using Subdivision surfaces. I wanted tight grooves and couldn't quite get what I wanted so made the subdivision surface object editable. I then did the grooves. This allowed for sharp corners.

The vents were done as an extrude and bevel. Correct.

Guest TeamZissou
  • Topic Author
  • @Cerbera Knife cuts it is then! Is there a way to repeat the same cuts on each side of the triangle without having to eyeball each new one?

Thanks for the further instruction, I think I follow, let me know if this is correct so far. I wasn't sure how to pull each edge out to an equal amount to the previous one.

A.jpg

B.jpg

Sort of. Try it like this...

sides extrude.jpg

If you used extrude to pull those edges out, then you can just click 'New Transform' in the tool to repeat the last action.

What I tend to do is ctrl-drag instead, also holding shift to quantize the movement, making it easy to repeat exact distance the other side.

Guest TeamZissou
  • Topic Author
  • @Cerbera Right, I have been ctrl dragging but thanks for the extrude/new transform tip.

I got as far as your fourth example, Im struggling to level it out. Should I have all three top edges selected at this point or just two? 

Thanks for your patience!

All 3 top edges selected. Then click the scale tool, and in its attributes (modelling axis tab), move the Z slider so that the axis moves up to the top edge. Then scale on the Y handle, holding shift to quantize the movement to 0, and the bit that is currently sloping should straighten out as you move it.

Guest TeamZissou
  • Topic Author
  • 4 minutes ago, Cerbera said:

All 3 top edges selected. Then click the scale tool, and in its attributes (modelling axis tab), move the Z slider so that the axis moves up to the top edge. Then scale on the Y handle, holding shift to quantize the movement to 0, and the bit that is currently sloping should straighten out as you move it.

Perfect, thanks! I scaled with the Z handle though is this correct?

Just going back to those additional manual knife line cuts we discussed earlier, when making them is there a way to make sure the line is an equal distance from both corners as pictured here. Currently I'm just starting on one edge and then eyeballing where it will end. 

Also when these additional cuts have been made is there a way to repeat them to the remaining two sides of the triangle or do you simply have to do each one manually?

SS.jpg

Yep, sorry, Z handle is right for your scene. 

If you use loop mode in the knife tool, that should cut straight across, so the distances will be equal. 

The answer to your last question is no - the program can't guess what you want to do next :) You have to make the cuts manually.

Guest TeamZissou
  • Topic Author
  • Thanks @Cerbera I did try the loop option but it seems to be following the shape of the quad rather than going straight across as you can see in the first example.

Just to clarify with my previous question, if I have made three cuts as shown in the second example, is there a way to copy/duplicate these for each side of the triangle?

SS3.jpg

SS4.jpg

Ah OK, I'm in R18, which doesn't do that - I had forgotten R17''s loop mode does it differently. You'll have to go into point mode and slide the middle point in line with the other 2. If precision is absolutely crucial (and it very rarely is) then you can create a guide, and use guide snapping to knife in your cuts.

6 minutes ago, TeamZissou said:

Just to clarify with my previous question, if I have made three cuts as shown in the second example, is there a way to copy/duplicate these for each side of the triangle?

No.