Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Guest TeamZissou

Best practice for first model

Guest TeamZissou

Got it, thanks @Cerbera

I think I'll power through that playlist before continuing.

With the model I am hoping to create do you think it is best to start from this corner triangle and just work outwards? Is it best to try and keep it as one object rather than creating multiple ones for each element in the scene?

No worries.

For making your panel, where you start depends on your approach. Are you going to use 2-way symmetry, for example ? If you were I would start with the window frame, and work out from there, modelling just a quarter of the panel.

Do we have any better reference material for this ? A flat, top down view of one of the panels would be most helpful. Without that, you might be better starting by creating splines that outline the main elements on a locked layer, just so that you have a clear and constant idea of the shapes you are trying to model over the top.

Here's how I would do the triangle shape. Select the 6 outer edges and do a Bevel but change the mode to Solid. I also changed the mitring to uniform as this gave what I would say is a cleaner result.

Bevel.png

I just did this really roughly and quickly, but this is the sort of edge flow I'd use to make the main frame. As you can see, I made a spline reference guide, and only modelled a quarter of it, symmetry doing the rest...

panel.jpg

Guest TeamZissou

@Cerbera Nice! Can I ask how you started this model? Was it from the first triangle you demonstrated or did you start with a plane?

Trying to work out how you transitioned from modelling one triangle to another within the same object is hurting my brain!

Guest TeamZissou
21 hours ago, 3DKiwi said:

Here's how I would do the triangle shape. Select the 6 outer edges and do a Bevel but change the mode to Solid. I also changed the mitring to uniform as this gave what I would say is a cleaner result.

Bevel.png

Thanks, this seems like the quickest way to get even cuts on each edge. Am I right in thinking that these cuts or to 'sharpen' up the corners when the object is dropped into a subdivision surface?

When it came to it, I actually did most of it with the polygon pen. I started with a single poly on the left hand side, and ctrl-dragged out the top edge, adjusting points as I went so I was following the corner up and round to the right. Then I made a few cuts in these polys which allowed me to pull some of the diagonal edges out. Then I fixed the center points to 0 by scaling / moving them, so symmetry would work perfectly. So by now (under double symmetry I had the whole 'framework' done, so used 'close polygon hole' to fill in the triangle 'holes', then cut some more edges in to solve any triangles to quads.

CBR

13 minutes ago, TeamZissou said:

Thanks, this seems like the quickest way to get even cuts on each edge. Am I right in thinking that these cuts or to 'sharpen' up the corners when the object is dropped into a subdivision surface?

No. As I mentioned earlier in this thread, this way of doing it will produce very rounded corners. To tighten those up you need additional points either side of the pointed areas, or for maximum tightness, you shouldn't use inner extrude at all, but make sure your control edges cross each other, forming a diamond at the top.

We are all busy showing you how to create a perfect 3-point triangle from quads, but that is not actually what you want to do in this project. If you are using sub-d modelling, there is no need to use bevels at all - just ensure that your triangles' corners are defined by at least 2 or 3 points (like in my example), and then the SDS object will do all the rounding for you, and you will precisely control it by moving the outer points in relation to the center one.

CBR 

Guest TeamZissou

@Cerbera Thanks for clarifying! I'll give it a go with the Polygon Pen. I noticed you can ctrl click edges with this tool without have to switch modes, but is there a way to do this proportionately, i.e. the same as if you were to ctl click an edge with the move tool? 

8 minutes ago, TeamZissou said:

@Cerbera Thanks for clarifying! I'll give it a go with the Polygon Pen. I noticed you can ctrl click edges with this tool without have to switch modes, but is there a way to do this proportionately, i.e. the same as if you were to ctl click an edge with the move tool? 

I'm not following you - ctrl-dragging an edge out with the polypen is the same as doing it with the move tool isn't it ?