Sign in to follow this  
Guest TheLeast

Daz Genesis to C4D Workflow

Guest TheLeast

I've been doing a lot of R&D these past few months on ways to integrate the Daz Studio Genesis character into C4D. My process has been to import the base Genesis figure into C4D as a .dae, and then create a custom character rig for the imported joints. I then imported a number of genesis morphs and added them to my new base figure using a pose morph tag. This allows me to use the flexibility of the Genesis figure, including the many assets already available for it, while also taking advantage of C4D's far superior modelling and rendering capabilities.

The result is a (theoretically) universal character rig. I've been using an alpha version of it for the relaunch of Crimson Dark, my Sci-Fi webcomic.

I'm now sharing this rig in the hope that: 1) Others might find it useful and 2) Others might help me improve it.

My main problem at the moment is that while morphing the body mesh is very easy, adjusting the figure's proportions is extremely awkward. I've yet to find a quick and easy way to give someone longer legs or a shorter neck. I'm not a professional rigger, and I'm hoping a more experienced rigger might have a better solution.

Features of the current rig:

• Fully posable with IK arms/legs and FK spine/neck
  • Pose Morph tag on the base mesh to modify the figure's shape and facial expressions
  • User Data on the hand controllers for numerous finger poses
  • New, more realistic eyeballs to replace Daz's ugly spheres
    • Old eyes are hidden and invisible, but need to remain to allow importing new morph shapes
    • The Eye_POS controller can be used to move the new eyes and adjust their separation
  • Visual Selector Tag for all primary controllers
  • Two UV sets (so far) for Genesis base and Michael 5 textures

Desired Features (please help!):

• Adjust proportions (joint length etc.) without breaking or rebuilding the rig
  • Import morphs of Daz characters with different proportions
  • More robust IK/FK controls for the arms and legs
  • Easily switch between pose morphs for fingers and manually adjusting joints

Download link:

Thanks,

The Least.

C4DGen.JPG

not sure if this is of any use to you but i have been importing daz characters using 
FBX with no problems for ages? you can use pose morph tag with fbx too. character is fully poseable, the only limitation ive got with it is  i have to completely re do the textures every time i import, there are a couple of ways of doing this but they arent ideal and only partially work.

Guest SergioB
  • Topic Author
  • Very interesting. If I import a character from Daz, could you tell me how to use your rig, what are the next steps in C4D?

Thank you!

Guest TheLeast
  • Topic Author
  • 18 hours ago, caliburn said:

not sure if this is of any use to you but i have been importing daz characters using 
    FBX with no problems for ages? you can use pose morph tag with fbx too. character is fully poseable, the only limitation ive got with it is  i have to completely re do the textures every time i import, there are a couple of ways of doing this but they arent ideal and only partially work.

Simply importing the FBX/DAE is fine if you don't want to pose/animate the figure in C4D. The joints and skin weights will work, but they won't be rigged for animation. I've developed this process because I want to be able to import a character once, and then re-use that character on a regular basis without having to keep going back to DAZ, making changes, and re-importing.  This also means that I only need to fix the textures once.

Guest TheLeast
  • Topic Author
  • 10 hours ago, SergioB said:

Very interesting. If I import a character from Daz, could you tell me how to use your rig, what are the next steps in C4D?

Thank you!

It will only work if you import a character based on the Genesis figure (not G2 or G3). The steps are:

• Import the figure
    • Select the Pose Morph tag on the base mesh of my rig, and make sure it's in Edit mode
    • Drag the base mesh of your imported figure into the Pose Morph tag. This creates a morph target based on the imported figure
    • Replace the base textures of the rig with the ones you imported. If the UV map is wrong, just drag the UVW tag from your imported figure to the base mesh of the rig.
    • Delete the imported base mesh.
    • If you imported any clothing/hair with your figure, delete any skin objects and weight tags, then bind them to the rig joints. Use VAMP to copy the weights of the rig's base mesh to the clothing

Guest Carina
  • Topic Author
  • Had to make an account to thank you :) This is great and very helpful! 

Guest jimmyonnb
  • Topic Author
  • Thank you so much man,this is what i've been looking for. Great job!!!::):

This is great information. I use Genesis figures in C4D as well for comics. I do all my sculpting and customization in Daz and Zbrush first then bring the figures in as FBX files. I then link the joints from the rigged figure into custom controllers using the Visual Selector in C4D.  With regards to figure height and other structure changes that may alter the general shape of the base figure, try creating 3 or 4 standard body types for males and females in Daz then you'll have an easier time editing in C4D. I'm currently looking at creating a python script for connecting joints to the Visual Selector to take some of the tedium out of the transfer process.