Hrvoje

C4D GPU Future of Rendering

I am asking because there are Nvidia drivers for OSX, alternative to Apple drivers that are far far behind.  I am using TitanBlack card on Hackintosh with El Capitan. I thought that is some recent news that they are droping them, scary :D. Not sure, though, do they support newer cards like 1080. But older Macs issue is more on PSU side, it  is just old hardware. And trashcan is not possible to upgrade.  But my guess that 980Ti should work. Problem with Apple is that is is choosing one side and most of their hardware is not possible to upgrade which is pretty bad in GPU rendering world, changes are happening fast.

Also I am not sure will this engine work with CUDA at all, it is OpenCl based engine that should work on both Nvidia and AMD cards.

980ti's work as far as i know. they need to be flashed or something first though. 

sorry, meant new openCL version. I don't know the technical details, but i do know that often to get stuff working you need recent drivers. But maybe you'll be lucky. as i said, wait and see :) 

On 12/7/2016 at 3:42 PM, Vozzz said:

980ti's work as far as i know. they need to be flashed or something first though. 

That's not accurate.  My MacPro5,1 has a non-Mac-flashed 980ti, and while it creates certain limitations w.r.t. boot screen controls, it functions perfectly fine as a day-to-day graphics card (once booted, there's no difference).  I'm running the usual Nvidia web drivers -- which, btw, continue to be updated, as do the Mac CUDA support, so Nvidia clearly is continuing to implement and release some Mac drivers.

It is true there are no Pascal drivers for Mac, yet.  Because both Apple and Nvidia are required to make changes to enable a new NV family, and because the Pascals came right as Sierra (10.12) was nearing release, I tend to believe Apple just didn't have enough time to test in order to feel comfortable enabling Pascal.  It also seems likely Pascal support has now become negotiation leverage between Apple and Nvidia in their discussions.

John W. -- MacPro(12C/24T/10.10.5),32GB,ATI7970

On 12/7/2016 at 3:36 PM, Sreckom said:

And trashcan is not possible to upgrade.

It's more accurate to say nMP* ('Trashcan') has restrictions on form-factor and power that nobody but Apple currently seems interested in supporting.

It's quite feasible that other cards with similar thermal and power characteristics as the Dx00s currently used could easily be OEM/third-party modified to meet the nMP slot requirements, it just hasn't happened yet.  If enough nMP are sold, it might.

*: Personally I think the nMP's days are numbered.  I know many think Apple is backing away from desktop, to them I'll just point out that Apple's hiring does not appear to support that argument.  I believe Apple do understand that nMP aside, they still need something more akin to the prior MacPro, in terms of a workstation-class, decently-expandable chassis, and will address that situation in a year or two.  Time will tell.  They gave the Cube every chance as well, but it eventually went away nonetheless.

John W. -- MacPro(12C/24T/10.10.5),32GB,ATI7970

On 12/13/2016 at 2:32 PM, jwiede said:

It's more accurate to say nMP* ('Trashcan') has restrictions on form-factor and power that nobody but Apple currently seems interested in supporting.

It's quite feasible that other cards with similar thermal and power characteristics as the Dx00s currently used could easily be OEM/third-party modified to meet the nMP slot requirements

Sadly this is not the case. The logic board(s) — I can't recall if it's one or both of them — that carry the GPUs on the trashcan have all sorts of other chipsets and technology baked into them, which have nothing to do with the GPUs. To replace them with boards that have new GPUs would mean all the other chipsets and components from the other vendors would have to be designed into the same "upgrade boards". Not happening.

Other than RAM or the SSD these computers have zero upgrade path, unless Apple suddently decides to rev the boards for the exact same form factor and sell them like GPUs. This has been Apple's MO for a while now. Every new generation they release (iMac, MBP, MacBook, and now trash can) is less able to be modified or upgraded than the previous version. They are building obsolence into all their Mac products. Like a-holes.

Interesting information, although far away. Guys, we are talking about R19+. This is 9 month away at least.

A great native render engine for Cinema 4D will be nice, but it all depends on the material system. Is it good enough to deliver excellent results? Can it compete with Octane, Arnold and the new released Vray for C4D? I think we will see. For which package will it be available? Studio only?

I learned in the past that a lot of great things were announced by a lot of companies and in the end the result was not so breathtaking as in the beginning. Still waiting for the Bodypaint update and then I will think about the new render engine and hopefully a node based material system.

Nevertheless glad to hear that MAXON decided to go a step forward here. Till then I stick to my new Vray.

2 hours ago, Visionnext said:

Interesting information, although far away. Guys, we are talking about R19+. This is 9 month away at least.

A great native render engine for Cinema 4D will be nice, but it all depends on the material system. Is it good enough to deliver excellent results? Can it compete with Octane, Arnold and the new released Vray for C4D? I think we will see. For which package will it be available? Studio only?

I learned in the past that a lot of great things were announced by a lot of companies and in the end the result was not so breathtaking as in the beginning. Still waiting for the Bodypaint update and then I will think about the new render engine and hopefully a node based material system.

Nevertheless glad to hear that MAXON decided to go a step forward here. Till then I stick to my new Vray.

I think this renderer will be very usefull for all the Mograph, ProductViz and Archviz C4D people. So to speak for 90% of the users. Watching the Fire Render and Pro Render examples online it most likely is not so much suited to VFX for example.

And just keep in mind: companys like Chaosgroup and Solidangle have Dev teams the size of MAXON's just for a render engine. So if the thing is a very solid engine we can be more than happy. But comparing it to Vray, Arnold and Octane? Hmmm

R18, Octane, Vray, Cycles, Zbrush, AE, Marvelous Designer, Substance Designer, Affinity

4 hours ago, zeden said:

I think this renderer will be very usefull for all the Mograph, ProductViz and Archviz C4D people. So to speak for 90% of the users. Watching the Fire Render and Pro Render examples online it most likely is not so much suited to VFX for example.

And just keep in mind: companys like Chaosgroup and Solidangle have Dev teams the size of MAXON's just for a render engine. So if the thing is a very solid engine we can be more than happy. But comparing it to Vray, Arnold and Octane? Hmmm

Completely agreed, but I'd love, if MAXON would put more energy into other things (e.g, proceed in rewriting the core) . I think the actual render engine is quite ok for Mograph and I know some Archviz people that do not have the Studio version, but a render engine with Visualize for almost the same prize. :)

• Topic Author
  • On 12/16/2016 at 10:45 AM, zeden said:

Chaosgroup and Solidangle have Dev teams the size of MAXON's just for a render engine

Are you sure? I highly doubt this. I believe MAXON is larger then both of them, in terms of dev manpower and manpower total. If you can provide some numbers I can tell for sure :)

Free C4D trainings from MAXON professional on our youtube channel

https://www.youtube.com/c4dcafe

Guest willtaylor

At first I was excited about the news, but there are a few things that make me hesitant, so I will wait for further information before I decide whether or not I like it. I want to know whether or not Radeon Pro-render will render hair curves. This is a key thing for me because I want to continue to do characters in C4D. I am also interested to know if there will be SSS Skin shader support coming with it. I am actually staying right now in the physical renderer because I do want to render hair and skin and I'm not keen on giving up that capability. I hope that ProRender will mean that eventually we'll get TressFX in Cinema as well. I optimistically wait for further information.

17 hours ago, willtaylor said:

At first I was excited about the news, but there are a few things that make me hesitant, so I will wait for further information before I decide whether or not I like it. I want to know whether or not Radeon Pro-render will render hair curves. This is a key thing for me because I want to continue to do characters in C4D. I am also interested to know if there will be SSS Skin shader support coming with it. I am actually staying right now in the physical renderer because I do want to render hair and skin and I'm not keen on giving up that capability. I hope that ProRender will mean that eventually we'll get TressFX in Cinema as well. I optimistically wait for further information.

SSS wont make it in this release according to a post on this found over at CGSociety.  Id like to see a skin shader  and support for noise free hair, but I know the skin material wont be in this release.  Id say this renderer at this stage is good for hard surface renders, for that reason like you into characters Im not too excited, more so when I use Vray which is ideal for characters as it has 3 choices for skin, and two hair materials.

Dan

• Like 1