Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Zambash

Joints suddenly twisting.

• Topic Author
  • So one second my joints are fine, then I blink and suddenly this happens: 5fa29959f1.jpg

This has been happening to me for a long time and I have to re-load an old save to fix it.  Why do my joints randomly flip and why does Undo not fix it?

Hi. I don't usually get this when I'm using the character object so my guess is when you rigged it. 
    Just be sure that all joints have the axis orientation. 
    Also, for convenience and workflow, try to animate the joints by a null controller rather than the joints themselves. 

P.S. That situation can also be a caused of constraint tag issues. (Uggggggh) for instance you have the different axis rotation between the source and target. 

• Topic Author
  • Well the weird thing is that it seems to just happen randomly in the middle of working, I'll be working with the joints in question just fine for a long time and then suddenly I'll just click somewhere and when I look again all the geometry is twisted around.  Interestingly I examined the joints and they are actually still in the proper orientation, it's like the skinning suddenly gets messed up.

From your screen I´m not sure if you have correctly aligned joints. As standard is aligning to Z axis and you have Y. Can´t see from screen if all are aligned in same direction. Try to remove skin, align joints, reposition as needed and bind to mesh again...

• Topic Author
  • I don't really know much about rigging and animation.  I am just posing pre-rigged models exported from MakeHuman to use as reference for drawing so most of what you said is a bit over my head.  If something is improper then wouldn't it give me problems from the start?  What would cause C4D to just suddenly re-do the skinning improperly after tons of manipulation has already been done, and put it in a state where Undoing doesn't fix it?

Can you post a file?

If the joints twisting than it is a rigging problem!

As mentioned before..aligne the joints correctly and make sure that you freeze the position and rotation data on all the joints. That way you can always go back to that "bindpose" with Reset PSR.

If it is a skin/weighting problem than select your object and under Character Menu > Manager open the Weights Manager. Here you can look under the weights tab if you have some weighting issues (lines marked in red).

If you have constrains on the hand/fingers...well that´s another thing on it´s own!

So that´s all i can say without a file. Hope that helps ;)