Character Modelling challenge - Mirow aboriginal Warrior-W.I.P

Rectro

I assume you will also discard symmetry at some point? Since you are the expert on anatomy, may I ask what are the most pronounced areas that need to be adjusted in order to create a realistic Portrait as I'm still struggeling a bit? Or will you leave that out since it's supposed to be cartoony?

Very nice model of yours, also can't wait to see it in full glory and textured. All the contenders have really nice models as well as creative and unique character ideas.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks for your comments.  I wouldn't say im a expert on Anatomy, but im learning a bit more everyday, its like the Pandora's box, or a hall of mirrors, there is no end, and the more you know, the more you realise how much you dont know.

Its hard to answer your question fully, because there is so much I could point out on this, but the foundations are so important, and in this case the skull its the foundation.  First the proportions must be right that being the height from chin to peek of skill and orbital bone of the nose to the back of skull  which should be 7/8ths of the height.  I covered this in my learning session so check that out.  The 3/4 view gives alot away, as this profile will show the silhouette of the Brow bone, cheek bone, muzzle area, and chin.  The likeness most comes from the side profile, if you get that right your onto a good start.

This project is way out of my style of modelling, so its a nice change.  Iv only done very basic forms at the moment, there is plenty to do, and I know what it is I need to tweak to get the balance between cartoon, and breaking anatomy too much.  At the moment its just getting the concept features into the head with good topology, then its tweak, tweak and tweak some more.  

Dan

Thank you for your time to comment on my questions and the tips with the proportions and height values. I will definitely look into your learning session. Good tip about the side profile for best likeness, didn't know that.

4 minutes ago, Robididan said:

Thank you for your time to comment on my questions and the tips with the proportions and height values. I will definitely look into your learning session. Good tip about the side profile for best likeness, didn't know that.

Your welcome, glad it helps.  I picked that up from Sabin Howard when I was on a course by him called Power and Grace, the Structure of Man.  I will go and check his very words again, but he was saying that the side profile contains information that shows depth such as the distance between the nose, eyes, mouth, fantastic artist.

Dan

Day 3:

Make eyes from two shells, the outer has no polls, and will use a transparency map to show the disk on the inside which is the Iris.  The Teeth proved to be the longest session so far as I constantly ran into issues with C4D tools.  I finished off today with getting the inner mouth covering the gums of the teeth.  I would have not bothered with teeth if it where not the fact that a warrior snarl will show them.

XqSQP28.jpg

Thanks.  At the moment iv got to get through the head and hair, then do some deformation tests for the mouth and eyes, then onto the body.    Realy this part is the hardest, and the longest process depending on how far you want to go that is.  Being this is my first modelling session ever in C4D im proper learning its strengths and weaknesses.

Im going to keep the face and body textures simple for a basic cartoon look, but will put some detail into the accessories and weapons.  The plan is to rig him, pose him in a warrior pose standing on a turf stand with rocks, grass around him.  of course all of these plans depends on the time factor.

By this Saturday I hope to have his full body modelled and head welded on.

Dan

Archived