Character Modelling challenge - Mirow aboriginal Warrior-W.I.P

Rectro

Day 4:

This morning did the body, fitted the head.  Will go back in later and add additional details such as belly button and ribs using edge loops in the right places.  I dont intend to use any displacement maps so am pushing the modelling for topology to hold the forms.  For the body I wanted to make sure the chest (Pectoralis Major), shoulders (Deltoids), and shoulder blade (Scapular) and a loop to hold these forms.  Extra loops for knees, and elbows, although by the time I finish il more than likly refine alot.  For now im fitting in 1.5 hour sessions per day.

WUlQo2v.jpg

6S814Vm.jpg

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hey @Rectro, Looks amazing already. Well you Need to Show a draped Version but as from the above Image I would go with scruffy, really like the look of it. Can you advise how you achieved this look? Is it just one hair put into a cloner in object mode and with a random effector or a more sophisticated Setup?

1 minute ago, Robididan said:

Hey @Rectro, Looks amazing already. Well you Need to Show a draped Version but as from the above Image I would go with scruffy, really like the look of it. Can you advise how you achieved this look? Is it just one hair put into a cloner in object mode and with a random effector or a more sophisticated Setup?

Hi.  Glad you like it so far.

The hair is generated from the Hair modual.  In the hair settings you select Generate Triangles, and adjust the thickness within the hair material.  Your need to bring the number of hairs down significantly, in the above trial it was about 100 hairs.  The good thing is you can style the hair as normal using the hair tools while the geometry follows it.  When your done, you can select the hair object, right click and choose Current state to object, now you have geometry hair.

Dan

Just now, Robididan said:

Thanks for the info. I guess that's way more natural and you can "style" it the way you want it with the brush.

Makes me think I'll have to upgrade to Studio...:164:

For character work Studio is the next best thing to Maya, it really does have a nice set of additions to Studio that make it very complete package, for me I had to have Studio as the Hair modual is the best hair system iv ever used, and the Character rigging tool is very fast to rig.  Only down side to Studio is the upkeep as upgrades are rather expensive, but there is always the rent option.

Dan

Yes agreed, it does have very useful Features. However for my usual kind of work, Broadcast was the most reasonable of all of the Versions (some architectural work and game development) almost all private Projects and maybe some small client work would not yet justify the upgrade. But thanks as always for your explanations and sorry for asking so many questions ;-) 

Day 5:  Hands and Feet

So today was hands and feet, this completes the modelling of the boy.  Now its time to do some sculpting, as of yet non has been done to get the final look im after.  Next is hair, accessories. Cant wait to Uv map and texture him, thats when I will finaly get his look.

tBiTDIG.jpg

Just now, Rectro said:

Thanks mate, its coming along now.  Im glad I did this as this is my first ever modelling session in C4D, cant learn a app faster than getting stuck into a project.

Thanks, Dan

definetly, for me once the head is out of the way, i can relax a little, always the trickiest part i find :P

Archived