Character Modelling challenge - Mirow aboriginal Warrior-W.I.P

Rectro

22 minutes ago, PrivatePolygon said:

Nice UV's. what do you say unfold3D does better than C4D does? I just got the hang of unwrapping in C4D but getting straight uv strips is not easy to achieve, so I'm curious to hear about faster or easier alternatives.

Im not fully knowledgeable of everything in C4D regarding Uv mapping so I could only tell you what I find about Unfold3d in how easy and fast for me, maybe you could make a comparison off that.

First off seam selection is very easy, not just loops, but automatic path between two edges is quite intelligent in picking the best path. I can work in full symmetry as you would expect with options to increase tolerance, and working of different planes.   Once iv cut the seams, and press unfold, its about 90% done, and with a host of relax methods its easy to get the distortions out while viewing a heat map that indicates distortion.  It has automatic pinning by which I can select polys, edges, or verts individually looped selected or individual.  Within a few seconds iv pinned say between the fingers, and have moved them to get any overlaps dealt with.  The new version of unfold which I dont have automatically sorts overlapping Uvs.  The Islands can be selected with a dedicated gizmo to scale, move, rotate which will also work on the symmetrically opposite at the same time.

I can paint areas that can be used to give more priority to for Uv space such as the face.  I can select a strip such as in this project the gums, and can flatten out the U and V rows in one single click.  I can also do mapping which stretch the head for instance to the shape of the Uv square  space to get every bit of uv space used.  I can select one single nail, and have any duplicates also selected and stacked on top of each other.  It supports UDIMS space and can automatically fit all parts across as many Udims as you choose.  These are the main things that come to mind, but there are plenty more things that I may take for granted.  The new version which is v9 has tons more features, im 4 years behind.

Dan

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wow that sounds like a whole lot more than C4D can do but it comes with a pricetag i see, 300 euro's! The new version looks really good though so perhaps it's worth the money. I just hope MAXON does something about the uv tools soon..

Thanks a lot for pointing out the features Dan!

Just now, PrivatePolygon said:

Wow that sounds like a whole lot more than C4D can do but it comes with a pricetag i see, 300 euro's! The new version looks really good though so perhaps it's worth the money. I just hope MAXON does something about the uv tools soon..

Thanks a lot for pointing out the features Dan!

Your welcome.  It is very expensive, and it took me a while to purchase it as it was hard to hand over so much money, but in the end I felt that I just could not put up with the way MODO was 4 years ago,  im thinking that C4D is not even to MODO standards by the feedback I hear about C4D UV tools.  Its such alot of work to model something, and seems a shame to give it less that ideal Uvs in which countless hours can be spent on texturing.

Dan

4 hours ago, Rectro said:

Your welcome.  It is very expensive, and it took me a while to purchase it as it was hard to hand over so much money, but in the end I felt that I just could not put up with the way MODO was 4 years ago,  im thinking that C4D is not even to MODO standards by the feedback I hear about C4D UV tools.  Its such alot of work to model something, and seems a shame to give it less that ideal Uvs in which countless hours can be spent on texturing.

Dan

Thats exactely how I think about it at the moment, if it was just a third of it's price I would have done it but there are so many programs and plugins to buy already that are so expensive haha. Anyway, I am seriously going to consider it but most likely after I finished my character. C4D's tools just feel too outdated after what I read on the internet what other programs are capable of. Thanks!

Just now, PrivatePolygon said:

Thats exactely how I think about it at the moment, if it was just a third of it's price I would have done it but there are so many programs and plugins to buy already that are so expensive haha. Anyway, I am seriously going to consider it but most likely after I finished my character. C4D's tools just feel too outdated after what I read on the internet what other programs are capable of. Thanks!

I brought the HB Modelling bundle today, 60+ scripts that make some of C4D modeling what it should be.  Sounds strange when I say that back to myself when im paying $ for MAXON upgrades, I do hope r19 seriously delivers in the modelling department.

Dan

Had a set back be warned, True Symmetry plugin destroys Uvs, yes that what happens after I had done my Uvs, map my maps, rigged him to then want to tweak the mesh with symmetry, True Symmetry destroyed my Uvs, and changed the point order, when I tried to apply a tag from a saved version it didnt work.

Dan

3 hours ago, Rectro said:

Had a set back be warned, True Symmetry plugin destroys Uvs, yes that what happens after I had done my Uvs, map my maps, rigged him to then want to tweak the mesh with symmetry, True Symmetry destroyed my Uvs, and changed the point order, when I tried to apply a tag from a saved version it didnt work.

Dan

Really? Thanks for the heads up. I almost used it in my recent project. I was just so lazy to install the plug-in that I ended up doing manual tweaking. 

5 hours ago, Rectro said:

then want to tweak the mesh with symmetry

why not just use the sculpting tools on the mesh directly , it have a symmetrical features which can help while tweaking the mesh (and you can restrict it to just some points with selection )

5 hours ago, maliohammad said:

why not just use the sculpting tools on the mesh directly , it have a symmetrical features which can help while tweaking the mesh (and you can restrict it to just some points with selection )

The tweaking I wanted to do was on a modeling level, just needed to select certain edges to adjust the eye lids to the new eyes that I had made, it was a small tweak, one that caused me a heck of a lot of work for me to fix.  MAXON seriously needs to get this sorted, a global symmetry, one that does not destroy Uv maps,  not a tag, and with a resymmetry function.  

Dan

6 hours ago, Rectro said:

The tweaking I wanted to do was on a modeling level, just needed to select certain edges to adjust the eye lids to the new eyes that I had made, it was a small tweak, one that caused me a heck of a lot of work for me to fix.  MAXON seriously needs to get this sorted, a global symmetry, one that does not destroy Uv maps,  not a tag, and with a resymmetry function.  

Dan

if only they transfer the sculpting symmetry to all the other tools it would be super grate ! (and more awesome if radial symmetry is available !

BTW , why not send them a suggestion about it ?

Archived