Character Modelling challenge - Mirow aboriginal Warrior-W.I.P

Rectro

On 26.11.2016 at 6:11 PM, Rectro said:

Im not fully knowledgeable of everything in C4D regarding Uv mapping so I could only tell you what I find about Unfold3d in how easy and fast for me, maybe you could make a comparison off that.

First off seam selection is very easy, not just loops, but automatic path between two edges is quite intelligent in picking the best path. I can work in full symmetry as you would expect with options to increase tolerance, and working of different planes.   Once iv cut the seams, and press unfold, its about 90% done, and with a host of relax methods its easy to get the distortions out while viewing a heat map that indicates distortion.  It has automatic pinning by which I can select polys, edges, or verts individually looped selected or individual.  Within a few seconds iv pinned say between the fingers, and have moved them to get any overlaps dealt with.  The new version of unfold which I dont have automatically sorts overlapping Uvs.  The Islands can be selected with a dedicated gizmo to scale, move, rotate which will also work on the symmetrically opposite at the same time.

I can paint areas that can be used to give more priority to for Uv space such as the face.  I can select a strip such as in this project the gums, and can flatten out the U and V rows in one single click.  I can also do mapping which stretch the head for instance to the shape of the Uv square  space to get every bit of uv space used.  I can select one single nail, and have any duplicates also selected and stacked on top of each other.  It supports UDIMS space and can automatically fit all parts across as many Udims as you choose.  These are the main things that come to mind, but there are plenty more things that I may take for granted.  The new version which is v9 has tons more features, im 4 years behind.

Dan

First: Very nice Char!

Second: 95% of the tools you describe here are in C4D as well

General C4D uvw workflow:

1. Select your seams (with your clean model that takes 5 mins, Loop and Path selection tool. And yes here the lacking symmetry tools suck, on Cineversity there once were mirros selection scripts)

2. Make a frontal projection of all seleceted faces

3. Go to Relax UV tab. ABF or LSCM mode, enable cut selected edges, Auto realign)

4. Go to optimal mapping tab. Enable Realign and Equalize Island Size

Here you are done 90% of your uvws in 90% of the cases. The rest is manually align the islands

The pin option is there as is the flatten in u or v there. The stretch to uv space is there under uv Commands. To overlay equal islands you can use snappping but you have to do it manually which sucks but can be done. The heat maps are missing as well as UDIM support. But as they announced there are new tools in BP coming up. So we can hope...

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, zeden said:

And yes here the lacking symmetry tools suck, on Cineversity there once were mirros selection scripts)

in most cases you can do the uv to half of the model , then use the symmetry object then stitch both parts later, it will take less time than full uv work 

and there is some free selection tools ( I prefer vonc tools , it have tons of functions and it is free !)

1 hour ago, Rectro said:

Thanks for the tips guys, I will give Uv mapping a go in C4D on next project.  This project has been a challenge, while at the same time a joy to see what C4D for my first project in here from scratch.

Dan

BTW , do you have Lynda.com membership ?

On 1.12.2016 at 3:23 PM, maliohammad said:

in most cases you can do the uv to half of the model , then use the symmetry object then stitch both parts later, it will take less time than full uv work 

and there is some free selection tools ( I prefer vonc tools , it have tons of functions and it is free !)

Yes that is true but it is a destructive workflow that can lead to massive problems when weights, selections, point order etc. are important ( imagine doing uvws on an already rigged mesh for example)

1 minute ago, zeden said:

Yes that is true but it is a destructive workflow that can lead to massive problems when weights, selections, point order etc. are important ( imagine doing uvws on an already rigged mesh for example)

usually I do the UVs first , but thanks for the advice :D

In the case of using True Symmetry it not only messed the Uvs, but the point order from what I gather, as copying the Uv tag from another copy of the mesh I had didnt work, all the polys where un welded, fragmented on the Uvs.  Anyways, at least I know now if I ever intend to use C4D for modelling dont ever use True symmetry unless its in the early stages of modelling, and as suggested if need be use sculpting tools, but MODO has non of these issues so may well stick to some modelling tasks in there for now on.

In the case of having symmetrically placed Uvs, thats not ideal for me as I always want to give a little more UV space to the head than the body, and to do this that means the head cant be placed in the centre line of the uv space along with the body.  Look at the placement of the head in my UV map in the image in this thread.  Am glad I stuck to just using C4D on this project as iv learnt loads about C4D during this task.

Dan

Archived