Rectro

Line Cut tool, visible blue lines unwanted cuts not retaining

Hi.

Just getting to use the C4D modelling tools for the first time on my first project within C4D.  Im attempting to use the line cut tool and have run into a few problems that I hope you can help me with please.

1: Visible blue edges that I assume are C4Ds way of recommending edge directions for cuts. I dont want to see this, its confusing.

2: Edge cuts not holding.  I filled a large gap with a Ngon, now wish to cut this into suitable quad polygons using the Edge cut.  I cut from A-B press escape and that new edge vanishes?

3: Selecting different locations to start a new cut without exiting the tool, and starting from different points as a new starting point seems it cant be done, at least not by any modifier keys iv tried.  I wish to make a cut, start at another location and continue to work like this until im done without dropping the tool.

Thanks, Dan

I have been having this problem too. You cut with the knife line tool, press escape, and the line you have just painstakingly cut into your geometry disappears. For me, it just won't work at all in the orthographic views, which is massively annoying and seriously interrupts my workflow / accuracy.

R18 is proving to be something of a bug soup. Open subdiv is rendered utterly useless until they fix the UV distortion problem, and now the main cutting tool doesn't work under quite a lot of circumstances. Some of these problems I am told were fixed in the .28 release, but not either of the massive problems we've mentioned. Come on MAXON - we need a working knife tool ! This is REALLY basic stuff !

CBR

• Topic Author
  • Thanks for the info.  Because iv not hardly used the modelling tools in C4D I wasn't sure if it was user error, looks like its not.  I used the polygon tool in the end.  I hope MAXON adds a proper bride tool, and re symmetry.

I take it that this Knife tool issue is reported and they are aware of it?

Thanks, Dan

Ah, so I am not alone having this issue - today I was puzzled when I tried to cut a line through a simple mesh : 

It cut some polygons on top and bottom, but the big polygon in middle was not cut.

I have installed the latest update, when Maxon mentions to fix various issues with knife, but this issue still remains.

how to cut this.c4d

uncut.jpg

ok im baffled by this line cut tool.  The Knife tool worked soooooooo much better.  Why can't MAXON improve the tool not make them  worse. 

Im getting unwanted cuts that go straight through when i don't want them.  Not sure what setting i need to have this so it stops doing that. I have visible only selected but it seems to still cut through the object.   It seems to be random as well . The only way i know how to make it stop is by doing a selection and restricting it but that seems to be an extra unnecessary step.  Has anyone else had this issue??

Screen Shot 2017-06-25 at 8.07.26 AM.png

Norm_BIGBOT4D www.bigbot4d.com

Yeah, we all know about this problem, and fortunately, also how to avoid it :) MAXON's new knife toolset in R18 WILL be far superior to the old knife tool WHEN it works. To be fair MAXON addressed all but one of the Line Cut problems with R18.41, but that one you are experiencing still persists. Annoying yes, but not the end of the world, because if you select the polys you DO want to cut, and then tick 'restrict to selection' in the LC tool then that will protect all the backfacing polys and should circumvent the problem entirely.

CBR

• Like 2

Thanks Cerbera,  It Looks like MAXON is trying to get it right.  Almost there but not quite.  I Just dont like doing extra unneeded steps when modeling.  Hopefully they'll have it fixed.

NA

Norm_BIGBOT4D www.bigbot4d.com

On 6/25/2017 at 5:08 PM, Bigbot said:

ok im baffled by this line cut tool.  The Knife tool worked soooooooo much better.  Why can't MAXON improve the tool not make them  worse. 

Im getting unwanted cuts that go straight through when i don't want them.  Not sure what setting i need to have this so it stops doing that. I have visible only selected but it seems to still cut through the object.   It seems to be random as well . The only way i know how to make it stop is by doing a selection and restricting it but that seems to be an extra unnecessary step.  Has anyone else had this issue??

Screen Shot 2017-06-25 at 8.07.26 AM.png

Happening me right now. Not sure how to proceed with my project right now without knife tool. :cry:

8 minutes ago, spjuver said:

Happening me right now. Not sure how to proceed with my project right now without knife tool. 

Update to latest version. They fixed it.

CBR