C4DS

Seamilar ... the sequel

briand    5

looks really good, I don't use 3D coat but it looks similar to how the acclaimed tools work in that program.

C4DS    196
  • Topic Author
  • Thanks to all for the feedback so far.

55 minutes ago, briand said:

looks really good, I don't use 3D coat but it looks similar to how the acclaimed tools work in that program.

Thanks. Hence the name of this plugin.

Haven't looked at 3D Coat since over a year, but I can say that it was a revelation to use the demo and a great inspiration to make my own tool.
    I am collecting ideas as we speak, as I am not to fond of BodyPaint's TextureView window. If possible I'd like to display a better UV representation, but I know the current SDK is limited in that area.

smibrand    10

This is awesome! Love to see it working with more complicated models like characters. But either way, impressive!!

arail    24

Looking forward to this. I use modo for UV work. If your plugin provided similar functionality then I'll be able to sell my modo license and only work in Cinema

C4DS    196
  • Topic Author
  • On 12/7/2016 at 3:36 PM, maliohammad said:

seems like a great plugin !

BTW , how was the jump from python to C++ ?

@maliohammad

I am a C++ software developer by trade, so the jump from Python wasn't the issue. In fact it was the other way round when I starting writing plugins in Python, last year. By now I still don't know the language by heart and extensively need to refer to its documentation.
    Same for MAXON's SDK , and unfortunately their Python and C++ SDK are not a simple one on one mapping. Which means I basically had to rewrite the whole original Seamilar plugin before being able to add the new UV unwrapping features. Took me nearly two weeks (full time), and then another week to figure out the unwrapping. Luckily I had already spent most of the time doing the research while implementing the Python plugin ... just waiting for MAXON to catch up with the Python SDK ;-)
    Looking back, I better had started with C++ from day one, I wouldn't have wasted waiting for a working SDK.

@smibrand

If you have some character models to share, sent me a private message as I would be thankful to have a more complex model to play with.

@arail

I don't know what Modo provides as UV functionality, we could discuss your needs, and see if I can fit these into Seamilar. For now I am mostly focused on getting a stable "framework" implemented. All "fancy" features (symmetry, auto unwrap, ...) will have to wait.

• Like 1

C4DS    196
  • Topic Author
  • Since last time I had a look at implementing my own UV view, in order to allow for a visual feedback on the colored UV islands.

Here is the result, playing around with an old character I had created for C4DCafe's "Inner workings" challenge (2006).
    The navigation seems a bit jerky, apparently related to the capturing software, as the navigation is fluid when not recording.
    In this demo video I open the new UV View window next to the BodyPaint Texture Window, for comparison, as well as due to limitation of SDK. I am still looking into this in order to find a workaround.

Note: I probably didn't choose the perfect seams, but this was a simple demonstration. It already shows that a proper symmetry selection would be quite useful. I might have to raise that topic's priority on my to do list.

So far, the implementation requires features available since R16, so unless further obstacles I would be aiming to release for R16 and above.
    Support for previous version would be possible, but with crippled undo/redo functionality.

• Like 2

bezo    521

...looking amazing Daniel, perfect.

I can imagine I have edge selection tag, doubleclick on it/select all edges and with single button unwrap whole object...

Simply fantastic...

• Like 1

C4DS    196
  • Topic Author
  • 20 minutes ago, bezo said:

...looking amazing Daniel, perfect.

I can imagine I have edge selection tag, doubleclick on it/select all edges and with single button unwrap whole object...

Simply fantastic...

Thanks.
    Seamilar is more intended for interactive process, where you create the seams. As such, I didn't foresee starting from selection tags to perform the unwrapping. As it currently is implemented, when you activate the plugin with edges selected it will automatically read these and "convert" them to seams, creating the different UV islands in the process.
    For technical reasons I now only unwrap (relax + realign) when the user interactively selects a seam. I will have to add your suggestion to my to do list.