Sign in to follow this  
C4DS

Seamilar ... the sequel

I want to buy this some day. Unfortunately I bought 3D coat first and while I am happy enough with it, this was EXACTLY what I was looking for and a lot less money in addition to be in C4D itself. I try to write reviews for any independent software/plugin I use. I would encourage everyone else to do the same as it really helps the developers and face it- its nice to know at the very lest your efforts were appreciated! 

• Topic Author
  • While I haven't posted anything in a while I still have been working day in day out (when time permits) on the next update of the plugin.

Next step was to provide some additional tools for straightening/aligning the UVs. As current and future tools require settings to be adjusted by the user, I needed to be able to control said settings via some kind of Attribute Manager. Nothing comes for free, and in order to provide access via the Attribute manager quite some changes had to be implemented.

While I originally re-used the Cinema 4D native move/rotate/scale tools, along with the live selection and rectangle selection tool. This all had to be reworked because of how things work internally ... (sometimes you're happy that MAXON developers have provided this wonderful SDK, other times you curse at them for ... ah, never mind, long story).

So in short, things had to change because of the need to use the Attribute Manager for settings. Which meant native tools had to be dumped in favor of custom ones, losing the benefit of re-using the native short-cut keys ... and some more. However, the big plus is that Seamilar UV tools can now make use of the Attribute Manager for its settings (yeah).

Still, I have to confess that I wasted a lot (I mean a loooot) of time to get this working, while it currently does not provide for more functionality to the plugin ... except for the new align tool, which is the root cause for this whole change. D@mn you, align tool (curse, curse).
    Now, I didn't spend all this time on implementing support for the Attribute Manager alone. Quite some time was also put into fine tuning the straighten/align functionality. And to be honest, the more time I spent fine tuning the less I am happy with the result.

So, maybe it's time to release a beta version to one or more customers and get feedback of the functionality so far. Any takers?  (PM me, windows only for now)

Just a quick shout-out noting the benefits of using Seamilar v2.2 instead of the native Cinema 4D UV tools.  I found the native Cinema 4D UV tools to be complicated to use, and missing the type of instant user feedback that can be found in Seamilar.  Seamilar has exceeded my expectations, and made UV seam marking and unwrapping so much easier in Cinema!  I really like the auto-unwrapping available in the plug-in, as I can view how each new seam I place affects the overall polygon object (ie: how each seam changes the unwrapping of the object).  This instant feedback is invaluable for quickly placing and erasing seams, as I can now see exactly what each seam is doing to the UV unwrap.  I also really like the multi-colored, auto-generated islands in the UV view, as this makes it a breeze to see how each UV island corresponds to the overall object (ie: where each island is located on the object).  This is a well-though-out product that I would highly recommend. ::):

Just to test it out further, I tried last night to use the Cinema 4D native UV tools to unwrap a new object I created, and encountered problems getting it to unwrap properly- at the end of the process I still had a few small areas of the object where UV stretching was occurring.  Today, I went back to Seamilar to compare, and within 20 minutes had the entire object properly unwrapped with no UV stretching.  Brilliant!

• Topic Author
  • @mdfmuse Thanks for the feedback, and for all those nice words. Glad you like the plugin, as do so many others.

I have noticed your e-mail and will reply shortly to your questions. If you don't mind, I would like to also present your questions here on the forum, so my answers might help others as well. But I'll first reply to your mail in private and wait for your approval.

• Topic Author
  • Continuing with implementing updates to the plugin. This one is a "quicky" and although it seems an obvious feature, there has been quite some changes under the hood to provide this functionality. But it's a first in showing the benefit of supporting the Attribute Manager to allow for tool settings.

Notice the new Move/Rotate/Scale tool and especially their "snap to point" setting.

Well, not too proud to show this as the native UV tools could already do the same, but happy enough that the hard work to support the Attribute Manager is working out in the end. It's a small step, but necessary for future updates. (Quantization is next on the list)

Hello C4DS:  You wrote- "If you don't mind, I would like to also present your questions here on the forum, so my answers might help others as well. But I'll first reply to your mail in private and wait for your approval."

Of course, please post questions and answers here if you feel it may help other users.  Thanks.

• Topic Author
  • While next update of the plugin is being finalized, I have created a new "tutorial" video.

It doesn't focus on the new features but was part of the test scenarios to check changes in the code were stable and bug free.

It demonstrates unwrapping multiple objects and arranging the UVs on a single canvas.

https://vimeo.com/237128529

(trying out vimeo instead of youtube)

Great job Daniel, really cool progress

Hi is there a good way to dock the pallette with all the UV tools? having some issues accessing the subfolders

Edit: nevermind! For anyone else the Customization window can be sorted by Plugin, this will group all the Seamillar buttons together

• Topic Author
  • 13 hours ago, bcarmeli said:

Hi is there a good way to dock the pallette with all the UV tools? having some issues accessing the subfolders

Edit: nevermind! For anyone else the Customization window can be sorted by Plugin, this will group all the Seamillar buttons together

In an old WIP video I demonstrated loading the included palette, and docked it in the layout:

While the palette has slightly changed in version 2.3, the same principle applies. Don't forget to save the updated layout once the palette is docked.

As any other Cinema 4D palette you can modify this to your liking.