Sign in to follow this  
C4DS

Seamilar ... the sequel

• Topic Author
  • Working on the next update ...

On 2018. 2. 17. at 1:22 AM, C4DS said:

Working on the next update ...

Awesome. That's what I wanted. I want to use it in a short time.

Yeah this is massively cool. The show distortion UV view is super useful.

CBR

Would be perfect to have a chance to use c4d build-in brush tool for smooth UV movement/adjustment to texture...

But anyway, great update Daniel.

• Topic Author
  • Thanks for the feedback so far.

@bezo

One thing to understand is that most of the UV editing functionality is not available to plugins.

I always wondered why so few UV related plugins existed for Cinema 4D. Once I started writing my own I soon understood the reason.

As a result, all required features have to be designed and written from scratch. No way to simply re-use built-in features.

At least not with the current R19 SDK. Who knows what R20 will bring us.

@avideditor

I usually want to introduce more than just a few changes per update. As such, the release of 2.5 update will need to wait after the necessary additions are all implemented. Then a beta cycle follows, which might last a while depending the issues encountered.

The fewer extra features are added the sooner the update is released ... It all comes down to balance between the number of features to add and the time the customer wants to wait between updates.

@Cerbera

The distortion display mode was something I wanted to try. I still am wondering about the right distortion indication to use.

The standard seems to be to visualize red polygons where the UV's are stretched, and blue where they are compressed.

Logically I would expect the opposite (red for compression -> hotter, blue for expanded/stretched -> colder). I suppose it depends how you want to indicate the distortion: from point of view of UV -> Texture -> Mesh, or from point of view of Mesh -> Texture -> UV.

Seems the standard is Mesh -> Texture -> UV: when a large mesh surface gets a small texture area, the mesh gets compressed into a small UV space (= red).

Logically I would expect you're interested in the UV space being stretched out onto the mesh (=blue)

Maybe I'll need to provide alternative distortion viewing options: logical distortion versus "think different" distortion, where the blue and red colors get swapped.

With the introduction of the Texture Display Mode, I now can finally provide the "snap to pixel" feature I wanted to implement for a while.

Haven't recorded a video showing that feature, but it's already implemented. Another item ticked off from the to do list.

Next is figuring out if I can also provide the quantization in pixel units without cluttering the user interface too much.

Using cursor keys to precisely move items (points/edges/polygons/islands) has also been implemented in this update.

1 hour ago, C4DS said:

Logically I would expect the opposite (red for compression -> hotter, blue for expanded/stretched -> colder).

Me too actually. Things get hotter when they are compressed ;)

CBR

Michael Welters create nice plugin years ago called UV2Object

http://www.welter-4d.de/fplugs/freeplugins_en.html#uvtoobject

This is plugin I was inspired in my feedback. Some "similarity" could be created here. Maybe adding new additional window where UV mesh will be converted to real polymesh and any change with standard c4d tools will be transfered back to UVs...

fit.thumb.png.227289f25430855c62f0958b15b4a770.png

The new "Texture Display Mode" is a required feature. It looks really good.
    I would like to have a correction function for non-square images in "Texture Display Mode - Vertical Fit or Horizontal Fit"

Sometimes...  work with non-square images.

This will be useful for checking the location of the mesh in non-square images.

Currently BP3D..  I use "Texture size" command.

But it is useless because it changes the image. Thanks.

• Topic Author
  • 23 hours ago, avideditor said:

fit.thumb.png.227289f25430855c62f0958b15b4a770.png

The new "Texture Display Mode" is a required feature. It looks really good.
    I would like to have a correction function for non-square images in "Texture Display Mode - Vertical Fit or Horizontal Fit"

Sometimes...  work with non-square images.

This will be useful for checking the location of the mesh in non-square images.

Currently BP3D..  I use "Texture size" command.

But it is useless because it changes the image. Thanks.

I will see what I can come up with, but cannot promise any solution available in the 2.5 time frame

Just to make sure we're on the same track. What exactly do you expect to achieve with the fitting?

Do you want the UV's to fit to the non-square inage, or the non-square image to be fitted to the square UV canvas?

What do you mean by "it changes the image"  when using the Texture Size command? How is the image adjusted, and in waht way would you want it to adjust instead?

On 2018. 2. 27. at 5:58 AM, C4DS said:

I will see what I can come up with, but cannot promise any solution available in the 2.5 time frame

Just to make sure we're on the same track. What exactly do you expect to achieve with the fitting?

Do you want the UV's to fit to the non-square inage, or the non-square image to be fitted to the square UV canvas?

What do you mean by "it changes the image"  when using the Texture Size command? How is the image adjusted, and in waht way would you want it to adjust instead?

I want to apply a non-square image to a square UV canvas.
    It is possible with BP's Texture Size command, but it's the same as saving the image size change. 

aa.thumb.jpg.99ffba774a7ed4b755e88677f88f18e7.jpg

It would be better if you could restore the stretched UV to square UV in the Non-Square image. Blender has this feature.

bb.thumb.jpg.68d9959eef7c7cf47c3834c1d3f4ff20.jpg