Sign in to follow this  
C4DS

Seamilar ... the sequel

...looking amazing Daniel, perfect.

I can imagine I have edge selection tag, doubleclick on it/select all edges and with single button unwrap whole object...

Simply fantastic...

• Topic Author
  • 20 minutes ago, bezo said:

...looking amazing Daniel, perfect.

I can imagine I have edge selection tag, doubleclick on it/select all edges and with single button unwrap whole object...

Simply fantastic...

Thanks.
    Seamilar is more intended for interactive process, where you create the seams. As such, I didn't foresee starting from selection tags to perform the unwrapping. As it currently is implemented, when you activate the plugin with edges selected it will automatically read these and "convert" them to seams, creating the different UV islands in the process.
    For technical reasons I now only unwrap (relax + realign) when the user interactively selects a seam. I will have to add your suggestion to my to do list.

• Topic Author
  • As usual (for those familiar with my other plugins) I will provide versions of the plugin as development progresses.

Notice that due to technical reasons the plugin does need to store data into your objects. This means that once you save the scene the additional data is present in your objects on disk. As long as you don't save the scene only the objects in memory are altered.

Be sure to have a copy of your original objects before using this plugin !!!

During my testing I have noticed that sometimes Cinema4D can not unwrap/relax the UVs as it can not obtain a handle to the UVs. This seems to be a limitation of the SDK and something I am still trying to resolve. As a workaround you then should open a Bodypaint TextureView window and drag-drop the UVW tag from the object manager into the TextureView window.

For now this "work in progress" is R18 and windows-only.

<obsolete file removed>

Enjoy!

4 hours ago, C4DS said:

Notice that due to technical reasons the plugin does need to store data into your objects. This means that once you save the scene the additional data is present in your objects on disk. As long as you don't save the scene only the objects in memory are altered.

can't you store the data on a tag , maybe a python tag and store the data on some user data and hide them ?

• Topic Author
  • On 12/16/2016 at 6:01 PM, maliohammad said:

can't you store the data on a tag , maybe a python tag and store the data on some user data and hide them ?

At first I though "Why would I do that?". I mean, storing the data into a (hidden or visible tag) is just more work than storing it into the object. And in the end, when the object is saved to disk, the tag is saved along, so what's the difference?

However, if I store it into a new tag and make it visible, the user could remove it ... getting rid of the data if s/he wants to. So, maybe not a bad idea after all.

56 minutes ago, C4DS said:

However, if I store it into a new tag and make it visible, the user could remove it ... getting rid of the data if s/he wants to. So, maybe not a bad idea after all.

yes , this is what I meant , and you can make the user datas of the tag hidden , so the user can't modify it but only can delete it or disable it 

BTW , good job the plugin is really impressive !

This looks really, really promising!

Btw: I can't get get WIP version to load in R18. It doesn't show up. Do I need a special c++ redistributable to make it work?

Thanks!

• Topic Author
  • 50 minutes ago, geosautus said:

Btw: I can't get get WIP version to load in R18. It doesn't show up. Do I need a special c++ redistributable to make it work?

There are 2 locations where plugins can be installed, I tried both and they work OK for me. There are no redistributables required, all is available with R18 SDK.
    Have you restarted Cinema 4D after copying the plugin to its destination folder? Can you open the console (Shift-F10) and see if anything erroneous is logged?

"It doesn't show up" By that I assume you mean that Seamilar is not listed in the plugin menu? Or is it listed, but greyed out?

26 minutes ago, C4DS said:

There are 2 locations where plugins can be installed, I tried both and they work OK for me. There are no redistributables required, all is available with R18 SDK.
    Have you restarted Cinema 4D after copying the plugin to its destination folder? Can you open the console (Shift-F10) and see if anything erroneous is logged?

"It doesn't show up" By that I assume you mean that Seamilar is not listed in the plugin menu? Or is it listed, but greyed out?

Hi!

It isn't listed in the plugin menu. The console is empty, but I tried launching the commandline version av C4D and I get an error loading the seamilar.cdl64 because of a missing win_dll.cpp(298)