Sign in to follow this  
C4DS

Seamilar ... the sequel

• Topic Author
  • Thanks for the feedback so far, everyone.

As explained at the start of the thread, the final imlementation will dictate which version(s) of Cinema 4D can be supported. This due to differences in availability of features in the SDK versions. The easiest for me would be to only support the latest version, leaving quite a lot of you in the cold. Another approach would be to ask the potential users of this Seamilar plugin what version of Cinema 4D they are using (and thus would like to see supported).

In order not to clutter this thread with version requests I have created an online poll (as it's a free one, there might be some adds and banners, sorry about that).

The reason for this poll is to know if it is worthwhile to spend time trying to support a particular version. It doesn't make sense to support a version if no one is using it, while maybe skipping a version which is most popular.
    Depending on the poll result I hope to be motivated to solve the obstacles for said version(s).

I haven't limited the number of choices per vote, but I would like to ask to only pick one version. (The more versions that need to be supported the less features will make it.)

EDIT <link to poll removed>

W.r.t. the poll, I should note the answer I provided was in the context of a Mac version being available. 

On 1/7/2017 at 7:38 AM, C4DS said:

There is currently one big drawback, which I still need to find a workaround for:
    I am using the Cinema 4D internal unwrapping function. But for this to work a BodyPaint3D Texture View window needs to be opened by the user, at least once during the lifetime of the Cinema 4D session. Confirmed by MAXON developers to be by design, not a bug.
    Sadly, they didn't provide any function to call the opening of this window from within a plugin. So users need to open it, manually.

Rather than having to fuss with a Mason limitation, how about just a user alert/reminder that pops up the first time the tool is invoked (per session). 

Guest DrBluem
    import c4d
    from c4d import gui
    #Welcome to the world of Python

def main():
        c4d.CallCommand(170103, 170103) # Neue Textur-Ansicht...
        c4d.CallCommand(16351) # Kanten
        c4d.CallCommand(1038468) # Seamilar
        c4d.CallCommand(1038469) # UV View

if __name__=='__main__':
        main()

Why not this little script to start Seamilar?

Guest DrBluem

Symmetry does not work anymore?

Guest DrBluem

WIP 3: while the Tool is activated, and I create an Object, C4D crashes

7 hours ago, DrBluem said:

WIP 3: while the Tool is activated, and I create an Object, C4D crashes

True...

Btw, I wish it had also an option to do the "cuts" on selected UV polygons only..... :)

• Topic Author
  • 10 hours ago, DrBluem said:

c4d.CallCommand(170103, 170103) # Neue Textur-Ansicht...

Thanks for that, might come handy.

I will investigate the symmetry again. I might have broken something.

As for the WIP 3 crashing. Yet another interaction issue I suspect.
    For next WIP I have completely stepped away from the current concept. Resolving all these possible interactions issues is just a nightmare.

11 minutes ago, regnas said:

Btw, I wish it had also an option to do the "cuts" on selected UV polygons only..... :)

Could you please elaborate on this?

21 minutes ago, C4DS said:

Could you please elaborate on this?

Sure....

The way it is now, if I do a cut, even with some uv polys selected, it always cut through the all thing in a loop fashion, right? And you get the following result... See:

YpJaG1D.png

What I would also like, is an option to restrict my "loop" cuts to the selected uv polys... and get the following result... See:

XXAKHN6.png

Pretty much like the restrict to selection of the loop/path cut tool....

I don't know if it sounds crazy, but seems useful to me.... :)

• Topic Author
  • 12 minutes ago, regnas said:

I don't know if it sounds crazy, but seems useful to me.... :)

I understand what you mean, but I still cannot imagine a workflow for this.

The whole point of creating seams is to unwrap what is "inside" the seams. In your example you create a seam and only want to unwrap a portion of the polygons. Why don't you then simply create seams as boundaries of the polygons you want to unwrap?

The cut in a loop fashion is because YOU select the seam to be a loop. The whole point of Seamilar is to create seams, but it's up to you to create them.

You are not limited to loop selections.