Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Vizn

'Snow' build-up in shape of logo

• Topic Author
  • Looking for a reliable method (eg particles, alpha fakery, AE tricks...anything) for building up a logo out of 'snow', complete with a slightly uneven surface while it piles up in the shape of the object. In my case the object is an extruded spline logo. The original logo is hand-drawn, so the vector version is quite messy. The effect doesn't have to be high-quality, just good enough to sell it to discerning eyes. ;-)

We tried animating a 'bumpy' boolean to fake the build-up, but we've since discovered the well-known 'flickering' problem.

We also tracked down and tried rBoole. However, it does not seem to work in R16 or 17. It looks right in the viewport, but the 'bumpy' boole object that is supposed to be invisible shows in the render no matter what settings or render engine we tried (ie Standard, Physical, VRay), so no joy there. 

We're now experimenting with a PolyFX setup, which we might combine with the straight boolean setup to hide the flickering, so we'll see.. but in the meantime, if anyone can point out some tuts that could give us more options, or explain some methods if simple enough, that would be awesome.

magic snow nitroman

12 minutes ago, Vozzz said:

magic snow nitroman

Yeah, that's what I said, but I had to delete my post when I realised MS doesn't work in R16, or 17, or 18 and can't fill hollow objects...

CBR

vray has its own "clipping" which is like rboole. But maybe not c4d version. Maybe new beta version?

• Topic Author
  • Sad that two of the best solutions for this aren't up to date for the winter season.  :-( 

• Topic Author
  • Hey, I just noticed there is a rBoole tag and have no idea how to use it. When I first tested, I simply picked the rBoole from the Plugins menu, which creates an object like the normal Boole, but all the posts I see say rBoole is a 'shader'. Is there any documentation for how to use rBoole correctly, or can someone please explain the process for setting it up correctly? 

I've read that rBoole works with R16 and VRay, so I need to test for myself with correct setup.