jwiede

CD plugins appear off-market, will MAXON step up?

It's sad and unfortunate, but the complete lack of news/response since Dan's passing regarding the future of Cactus Dan's plugins suggests they're off-market for good (even Dan's site seems to have disappeared).  

Barring something changing on that front, it seems like C4D now has a significant "functionality hole" in CA tech as a result.  The CD plugins were notable in their enabling of an end-to-end Maya/MB-"familiar" CA workflow in C4D.  They also offered "depth of functionality" in a couple CA aspects where C4D's native solutions lack similar depth/configurability.  While native C4D CA tools improved greatly in last few years, there are still coverage deficiencies in C4D's CA toolset and CA interoperability which (until recently) were addressed by the CD plugins. 

I would very much like to know if MAXON has any short-term plans to specifically address the functionality deficit left by the CD plugins, and/or further modernize/bolster C4D's native CA support in short-term to bolster C4D<->Maya/MB CA interoperability?

• Like 1

• Topic Author
  • As (somewhat) more specific examples of what I mean:

• The CD FBX IO plugin offered deeper ability to customize certain aspects of how takes were imported/exported, etc. compared to the "native" C4D (hereafter just C4D) FBX IO support.

• The various CD CA plugins offered certain configurations of IK, morphs, constraints, tuning of skinning behaviors, etc. which lack direct equivalents in the C4D CA tools.  This is about breadth/depth of articulation and control, as well as maintaining interoperability with MB (and Maya).

• The CD Symmetry Tools plugin enabled/automted creating/editing morphs and rig elements using symmetry in ways that lack equivalently-efficient workflows using C4D CA elements.

Far from a complete list, but these three should serve to initiate the discussion.

Hi John. Highly unlikely we'll see any progress on anything to do with character tools as the developer who worked on them, David O'Reilly left and now of course is responsible for the excellent X-Particles and Cycles for C4D. I can't see character animation being high on MAXON's priority list.

Interesting that @3DKiwi mentioned X-Particles and Cycles because Insydium's recent announcement features CD plugins! There are screenshots of them working in R20 in Insydium's R20 announcement post: https://insydium.ltd/news/latest-news/r20-compatible-x-particles-public-release-1st-november-2018/

See this yesterday when looking about update for Cycles4D. Also interesting information is free 12 months maintenance for Cycles4D for all users. Not sure if it count with me also since my maintenance left exact year ago...

To Cactus Dan plugins we need more information, because they not will be upgraded for R20 (what I understand), but will work under R20 thru Bridge plugin. Question is if there will be option to buy Cactus Dan plugins or only will be available for users with older serials/licencies for older versions...