Sign in to follow this  
Guest ThomasGrimes

Corona for C4D Alpha 6 released

Just played with the settings and got this to render in 3:26 and still looks good. And that's on an outdated E5 v2 chip.

@ThomasGrimes One question, I'm running this Alpha and it's great so far. Is this plugin connected to my specific computer, or can I drop it into a Team Render client to see how fast it runs on my super fast render box?

@BigAl3D nice, coming together well.

Corona is still in public alpha so you can install it wherever you like at the moment.

They've also just released an excellent project series on youtube for an archvis interior visualisation.

Part 6 really shows off how good this renderer is with the way he churns out the different moods using lightmix.

@ThomasGrimes I already sent the boys in Europe an e-mail, but in case you get this first. Would people install and activate the Corona Renderer on a machine that only has the render client installed? Their site says to open a scene and switch to Corona and hit render to activate. Obviously, you can't do that with the client. Any ideas?

Glad to report I got Corona running on my render box. Had to manually put the folder into the Team Render plugins folder. Anyway, here is a link to a full-quality HD frame. It's too big to upload here, but I wanted to show the full quality. This is only 10 passes so it could still be better. Just wanted to get a good balance between quality and speed, which Corona took only 1:40 to render this on my super-fast E5 v4 CPUs. Very impressive indeed. FYI – the same render took 3:50 on my 2013 Mac Pro (E5 v2 single CPU)

Full-quality PSD

Another thing I noticed. When I view both of these image and quickly flip between them, I can see very subtle differences in the shadows and reflections. I'm assuming this will cause flicker in an animation, much like GI using non-Corona render engines.  Is there a way to cache the GI solution so the network can simply load this and keep the flick to a minimum?

Tried a little animation with this scene. Upped the passes to 15 for a smoother effect. The only issues I see in some cases, the highlights/sparkles abruptly show and disappear giving a firefly effect (on the rear rim). The curtains also show flickering in the shading, much like GI in C4D. I know you can mostly get rid of it in C4D, so I assume it can be smoothed out in Corona as well.

I love, love, love the bloom effects on the shiny parts. Look awesome. Not worried about the blown out exterior/background since I know that was never meant to be shown in this original scene. This basically took 4 hours to render at 1020 x 1080 on two E5 v4 CPUs. Not sure if you can read the detail at the bottom.

@BigAl3D, remember, its still in alpha phase, so they will probably fix everything and add some more stuff to it once they are finished. :)  And BLOOM effect its so nice...good job.

Corona is indeed great renderer! 

| MAXON Quality Assurance | 3D Artist | C4D Cafe Manager | Gamer in Heart/PS4 ID: SIgor420 |:compEnjoy:

So I'm still excited about the Corona Renderer. Knowing it's been out for a while for Blender and Max, what's the comparison to other engines such as V-RAY? Now that I think of it, how does it compare to all the big players? Arnold, Maxwell, V-RAY and others that you would deem competitors. Since I'm Mac-based, I'm not interested in GPU renderers since AMD aren't supported well by most engines (yet).

Also how do the costs compare?

I'm mostly interested in automotive rendering and animations.

Slgor had mentioned Corona on another post, so I gave it a try.  I mostly use Octane and Maxwell.  I am very disappointed with Maxwell because of the release of version 4.  It seems like a beta, but still works OK.  I tried Corona and really like it.  I have one scene that I use to test renderers and included the images below.  The first was done in Corona, the next was Maxwell, the third was Octane, and the last was Corona using Team Render.  Corona took about four hours (2000 passes), Maxwell took about 23 hours, and Octane took about 45 minutes.  Corona and Maxwell were done on a 6 core 2013 Mac Pro, and Octane was done on a 2009 Mac Pro with an Nvidia GTX 970.

I’m not experienced in creating shaders.  That is why I like Maxwell and Octane.  There are a lot of shaders and textures for me to use.  I could not find any for Corona so I had to create my own.  The leather shader is still not good, but works for now.  

Getting Team Renderer to work with Corona was straightforward, I was really impressed.  That is until I saw the results.  Look at the last image.  Not sure what is going on, but I will play around more with it.  

One thing I could not figure out is how to use alphas on textures.  This is something I really need to figure out.  

So, I’m really looking forward to using Corona.  Fast, good results, and hopefully I’ll figure out the Team Rendering issues and alphas.  But even without those, this is something that will work for me.  Octane will still be the main renderer for me, but that has some issues too.  Large scenes fail (only have 4 Gb of vram).  And since I use it on an old Mac Pro, drivers are something that I always have to watch every time Apple releases an update to OS X.

(Finally, I kind of like that they are from The Czech Republic.  My first ancestors came here from Vimperk in the 1850s and I always felt an attachment.  So I may be slightly biased!)

Mark

MaxellRoom2Corona756dFPRoom2-Cam4-BIGaOctanePMCMaxellRoom2CoronaTeam2000

Saw this yesterday and dowloaded the Alpha. Got a test scene and it looks great. I was only wondering, I saw in the about window that the license is activated until february 2nd. Won't it work after that? 
I'm going to create an interior scene and would like to learn Corona but if I can't use it after next week I think I might skip this.

Edited by PrivatePolygon
Edit: Ofcourse it won't work after that day, stupid question.

@PrivatePolygon It will, it just means that in February 3end  Corona will connect to the servers and check your license. Because its in a alpha stage your license will be extended. This will always happen til they reach a final comercial ready product. Then your license will not renew and Corona will stop working.

@Fythos That's very good to know, at least now I'll be able to get to learn Corona and complete a project with it. Thanks for the info!