Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Guest cycblonde

SDS sharpening

Guest cycblonde
  • Topic Author
  • 10 minutes ago, Cerbera said:

Can you see though - even before you have sharpened the diamonds, they are totally destroying your previously nicely curved surface because you are trying to place those diamonds in an edge flow that is going the other way. That is the biggest flaw in your approach.

I have made another version that might be more helpful in trying to cut in those shapes. Note the considerably higher subdivision, which will go a long way in making sure we can hold diamond shapes with not much extra subdivision, and when we do cut additional edges in the difference between them and the largest other polygons will be minimal, thereby affecting your overall curves less.

diamond glass base topo.jpg

CBR

Ah, that looks beautiful!! Amazing !!! I don't think I've seen an example of a mesh done in this way. Please forgive me for making such a hash of it - I'm humbled and also grateful for your input. I would of rumbled on for weeks with the wrong attitude if it wasn't for you. Xxx

would you mind sharing the scene file for that geometry - or describe how you made it?

i will admit that I made a course mesh because in previous comments you and others said to always try to model with least number of polys. But it makes lots of sense and makes me think the floral pattern wouldn't be so difficult to achieve with this base mesh.

It also gives me solutions for other models that I could make - I've been scratching my head about curved detail cut into curved surfaces. For example a decorative fruit bowl that my mum has which has a diagonal ribbed pattern running round the edge.

thanks for clarifying things (I thought I was making progress but back to stage 1) xxxx

You asked me to point out what was wrong in your first version, so I made this quickly...

diamond-glass-base-topo.jpg

Here's how you create nice sexy diamond flow:

• Start with a loft (no caps) with 8 circle splines under it making the shape of the glass. Doing it this way will help later.
    • Adjust the loft segmentation in its properties until you have perfect squares, roughly the size you would like the diamonds to be. Make sure that the number of segments you end up with is divisible by 4, then add 1 to get your final edge count. So, if you want 16 edges, then 17 is the number you want (lofts just work like this). Do the same for vertical segments.
    • Copy the loft, hide the original, and make the new one editable. Go into point mode and select all of them.
    • Bevel tool, tick Limit, then bevel all points all the way, to the maximum you can.
    • Select all points and run Optimize, which will halve the amount of points and weld the whole lot at once. Now we have big diamonds, and sh*** geometry at the top and bottom. (If the diamonds are not the right size, go back to the loft you backed up, adjust segments, and repeat).
    • Fix that by doing poly mode, select all polys, open subdivide command (as different from SDS object - this one is in right click menu) options and tick  level  1, and 'smooth 'subdivision, which will give you all quads and smaller diamonds. Now you're ready to start working on the actual patterns you need to add.

Guest cycblonde
  • Topic Author
  • That's amazing @Cerbera I'm going to follow your instructions to the letter.

thAnkyou

about my mesh - the degenerated polys - are these a total no-no? I remember reading it somewhere which is where I got the idea, but can't remember where and there was probably a caveat that it's not a good workflow. 

Thanks this is an amazing amazing help - are you going to produce your own video tutorial series? You should

8 minutes ago, cycblonde said:

thAnkyou

No worries :)

about my mesh - the degenerated polys - are these a total no-no?

Yes - zero tolerance policy on those. They are just triangles pretending to be quads.

are you going to produce your own video tutorial series?

I am thinking about it. But despite my pianist's brain, I not very good at modelling and talking at the same time. Might work better if I can model something then narrate it later.

But I do one-to-one tuition sometimes, where I remotely watch people's screens as they are modelling, and stop them when they go wrong and solve their problems real-time - that works quite well , and for only £30 an hour !!! :) 

Guest cycblonde
  • Topic Author
  • 46 minutes ago, Cerbera said:

I am thinking about it. But despite my pianist's brain, I not very good at modelling and talking at the same time. Might work better if I can model something then narrate it later.

You totally totally should - also the main problem with most CGI tutorials is the silence in the background. We need piano background music - THAT would be much better. 

48 minutes ago, Cerbera said:

But I do one-to-one tuition sometimes, where I remotely watch people's screens as they are modelling, and stop them when they go wrong and solve their problems real-time - that works quite well , and for only £30 an hour !!! :) 

I would love to do this - but at the moment am living off economy bags of apples 

1 hour ago, Cerbera said:

• Adjust the loft segmentation in its properties until you have perfect squares, roughly the size you would like the diamonds to be. Make sure that the number of segments you end up with is divisible by 4, then add 1 to get your final edge count. So, if you want 16 edges, then 17 is the number you want (lofts just work like this). Do the same for vertical segments.
    •  

with the loft - what should the isoparm subdivision be set at ??

xxx

4 minutes ago, cycblonde said:

with the loft - what should the isoparm subdivision be set at ??

xxx

Doesn't matter in this instance, but I usually do the same as U subdiv value (-1, don't ask why they have built it like that), so in my case it was 24, where my mesh U subdiv was 25.

Guest cycblonde
  • Topic Author
  • first attempt - another mess (ha ha) - will look at it again with fresh eyes in the morning.

Thanks for all your help @Cerbera

good luck with your tax return xx

Untitled 2.jpg

Just now, cycblonde said:

good luck with your tax return xx

Thanks. Enjoy the snow :)