Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Cerbera

Darth Vader - SDS modelling challenge

The results are already awesome, great work guys. Looking forward to seeing final renders. 

Brilliant, well done guys, keep going.

Dan

• Topic Author
  • Well - there's more lines in that suit control panel than you'd think... not finished yet, but I gotta sleep sometime.

cpwire.jpg

That's awesome man.

great modeling!  :Bananeyessss:

this evenings progress, finished off the rear collar detailing, well for now anyways, grid was a massive pain but got it done in the end, also cut in the vents  on the face mask that where placed there temporarily, which required adding additional geo and loops to the mesh to hold the forms.

update 3b.jpgupdate 3.jpgfabc323d8ce6ee0b3ae27affec7e8016.png257d1d068e02e9a7f4c11add6144c211.jpg

• Topic Author
  • Round 2 of the helmet textures...

Vader-head-079.jpg

This took half an hour to render (physical, adaptive, AO, no GI)

...and his top half nearly done (except arms)...

DVtophalf.jpg Vader-078.jpg

If anyone could tell me why my Irwan reflectance is doing that moire discoloration thing on his right shoulder in that last render, I'd like to know !

Thanks

CBR

WOW! I love the little scratches, are they done in photoshop or are they part of the c4d texture. Anyway, great job!

• Topic Author
  • 4 hours ago, eenendertig said:

WOW! I love the little scratches, are they done in photoshop or are they part of the c4d texture. Anyway, great job!

Thanks dude. Scratch layers are part of the material in c4d, though I made the map(s) in photoshop.

really nice render.... i think the scratches are a bit too prominent though. 

• Topic Author
  • 1 hour ago, everfresh said:

really nice render.... i think the scratches are a bit too prominent though. 

You're not wrong, my friend. That'll be fixed in round 3 of the texturings :) Main scratch layers are going to be dialled back, but I'm going to add some reverse AO 'edge wear' as well, and work a bit harder on contrasting ultra-shininess with more subtle 'worn sheen' that you get with frequent over-polishing.

I imagine some poor Imperial orderly would be tasked with its maintenance, and would be in constant paralyzing fear of DV noticing his helmet isn't shiny enough, and probably goes at it with an anti-static cloth and some isopropyl alcohol every morning like his life depends on it, little realising the risks of over-polishing... :) But there aren't any fingerprints or smudges on the helmet, because everyone that ever touches it is wearing gloves.

Annoyingly ive spent more time fixing errors and remodelling than making progress, the most difficult part of this project is proving to be finding reliable and well taken reference images, something ive struggled to find, and due to this some areas where not as accurate as i would have liked, so upon finding some better images ive spent alot of time today making changes to parts of the helmet that where off, after that i finally started adding the linkages to the top of the face mask, aswell as modelling some of the finer details, heres the helmet now, with a little nicer lighting

1a.jpg2a.jpg3a.jpg4a.jpg