nerv

First experiences with Cycles4D

3D-Pangel    190
19 hours ago, nerv said:

OK, so the short answer is YES.  

Mind you, this is a very rough draft, and it's obviously not a physically accurate representation of earth, but it serves as illustration.  

somenerv-cy4dclouds-draft.thumb.jpg.ce9ddf6aa2fd041b1b9a052001f671ca.jpg

As I expected, I had to rely on particles for this (X-particles in my case).  

There are 4 spehres in the scene, but there are only two that are generating the clouds: 

1.  a sphere I named CloudTex.  Simply using this one with a noise texture that generates the particles from the surface.   Hidden from render view as it's only a utility shape.  

2. another larger sphere I called volumeContainer.   This has a normal cycles4D object material assigned to it.   The Point Density node uses the density of particles (from the emitter above) to drive the density of the volume scatter and absorption nodes.  

By default, things start out looking kind of blocky, due to large voxel size and small particle counts.  Bringing down voxel and volume step sizes, as well as cranking up the particle count start bringing in the detail.    

It also starts taxing your resources pretty heavily.   The results from this run still look really blocky (and noisy) and my computer was already starting to get kind of sluggish.  

So, again... YES! But you'll need to spend some time tweaking things to get it looking right, and be prepared to wait for clean, detailed renders.  

somenerv-cycles4dclouds-screencap.thumb.jpg.38df34ea3f196218fbe604f8bff600bc.jpg

Wow. Very nice and better progress than I have made.  Is the PC sluggishness only related to the real time preview.  How fast did it render as I would imagine that you would need to really increase the samples to get a clean image without noise.  Plus, when you push the scale to get smaller clouds but preserve the detail, that would also spike render times.

But it does show very exciting possibilities.

Dave

nerv    275
  • Topic Author
  • 4 hours ago, 3D-Pangel said:

Wow. Very nice and better progress than I have made.  Is the PC sluggishness only related to the real time preview.  How fast did it render as I would imagine that you would need to really increase the samples to get a clean image without noise.  Plus, when you push the scale to get smaller clouds but preserve the detail, that would also spike render times.

But it does show very exciting possibilities.

Dave

Thanks.  The sluggishness was indeed during real-time preview.  I found it was easier to pause the IPR while I worked, then start it back up as needed.  

The picture viewer render wasn't exactly blazing fast, for a relatively small resolution image with low sample count.    

Can't say it's necessarily a Cycles problem.  I think every renderer gets bogged down when dealing with volumetrics. 

nerv    275
  • Topic Author
  • This accurately represents how my head feels right now.  SOOO congested.  

SIKDAE.thumb.jpg.5ca2bda63c4e244c7c9ef18a4393bf7d.jpg

Perfect excuse to play with X-particles and SSS shaders in Cycles4D.  

• Like 1

Igor    467
    Just now, nerv said:

This accurately represents how my head feels right now.  SOOO congested.  

A little fun with Voronoi fracture, X-particles and Cycles 4D.  Fairly simple material layouts, but effective. 

Wowzy...looking awesome! :D Now I need some gold materials in action...cmon! :D

• Like 1

nerv    275
  • Topic Author
  • 22 hours ago, SIgor said:

Wowzy...looking awesome! :D Now I need some gold materials in action...cmon! :D

OK! 

HOTCOCOA-melt.thumb.jpg.1887fccbb2133d5bf7523ba5719c9e58.jpg

For some odd reason, this one kept crashing on me while running the IPR in GPU mode.   CPU mode handled it fine, though of course, rendered slower.  It's not even that heavy of a scene, which makes me think they still need to work on making  Cycles4D more efficient.  

Took about 30 minutes to render at 32 samples, which is slow... but I have a fair bit of translucency, SSS, and reflections going on, so I'll give it a pass.  Wound up having to do some additional denoising in Photoshop.  

There are certain things I love about Cycles4D, but it still trails far behind Redshift when it comes to getting clean renders at a reasonable speed.  

• Like 1

Igor    467

Thanks @nerv, render looks nice, but I would like to see something like ring, or bracelet in gold. 

nerv    275
  • Topic Author
  • On 2/10/2017 at 5:36 PM, SIgor said:

Thanks @nerv, render looks nice, but I would like to see something like ring, or bracelet in gold. 

Well, this one has ringS in it, in addition to other things.  :lol:

It's also been post-process in Photoshop.  Nothing too crazy. 

somenerv-SANICHEGEHOGE.thumb.jpg.dced2092db7df2c07c478c474f156fb9.jpg

I can do a simple studio shot of something gold just for illustration if there's still curiosity. 

• Like 1

Fastbee    53

Here are some gold rings I did in cycles.  Let me know if I got the gold color right.

rings.jpg

nerv    275
  • Topic Author
  • ^ I think the color looks good.  A little green-ish maybe?

Here's mine.  A little rougher,  a little yellower, though maybe a little pale. ... and threw in a gold bar for the hell of it.  

cycles4d-goldTest.thumb.jpg.5a1675d24cd0d4eb5aca5892dc6574ef.jpg

Igor    467

@nerv, @Fastbee, thanks guys, its not bad at all. But I think Maxwell is impossible to beat in that area. How easy was to setup that material? 

nerv    275
  • Topic Author
  • @SIgor thanks. That scene took like 2 minutes to make.  I think it could look better with a little more effort - IBL for lightning / reflection variations, DOF, etc. 

Coming up with a gold or any other metal material in cycles is easy. Takes about 30 seconds to create the required node system. 

I'm really curious about Maxwell as I've seen amazing renders from it but they all seem to be architectural or product viz.

Does it have good mograph and particles support? 

And can you make procedural materials with Maxwell? 

Just wondering how viable it would be for someone who's more specialized in motion graphics / abstract art than product visualization or architecture. 

• Like 1

grain    107
    On 09/02/2017 at 8:16 PM, nerv said:

This accurately represents how my head feels right now.  SOOO congested.  

Perfect excuse to play with X-particles and SSS shaders in Cycles4D.  

Hah that is disgusting and awesome. 

• Like 2