PixelPlow Render Farm for Cinema 4D
PixelPlow Render Farm for Cinema 4D
nerv

First experiences with Cycles4D

72 posts in this topic

@nerv

Yea, thats good to hear. In Maxwell thats also a case, scenes are easy to setup (if you know what are you doing) and whats special about Maxwell materials is that Maxwell uses real world data measurements (https://refractiveindex.info/?shelf=main&book=Au&page=Johnson), which is specific for this renderer if I am not wrong, I am not sure that any other renderer is more precise in those terms, specially with materials like gold, silver etc.. One would argue about Maxwell speed, but when rendering is done, there is almost no need of post production and multilight feature gives you nice control of lights even in middle of the renders, which can be paused and continued. I still have lots to learn about Maxwell, buut as more as I am into it, I am starting to feel real power of Maxwell renderer.

As I am not really a MoGraph and Particles guy, I really dont know.

Procedural textures in Maxwell, yes...can be done, but I still didnt try to make them. http://support.nextlimit.com/display/mxdocsv3/Procedural+Textures

I would say its doable, but again, speed would maybe be a problem for some, quality as you know is there.   

This is something I done few  days ago...trying to figure out Maxwell to the core. Left image gone to PS, right image 0 post production (sofa images). 

Now, jewelry images was in post production just because client wanted to do that, but I think it wasn't really necessary. 

chair.pngchair_scene.png

IVAN_TWIN_STONE_PERSPECTIVE_GOLD.jpgIVAN_TWIN_STONE_TOP_GOLD.jpg

1 person likes this

@SIgor that gold does look good! 

Thanks for the link to the procedural materials documentation.  Helpful.  

I'm going to look a little more into Maxwell too.  My curiosity has been piqued!

3 minutes ago, nerv said:

@SIgor that gold does look good! 

Thanks for the link to the procedural materials documentation.  Helpful.  

I'm going to look a little more into Maxwell too.  My curiosity has been piqued!

Another thing I need to mention, is that with Maxwell v4, NextLimit introduced GPU rendering, so now Maxwell can render with GPU, which is nice, but not perfect yet.

9 hours ago, nerv said:

@SIgor thanks. That scene took like 2 minutes to make.  I think it could look better with a little more effort - IBL for lightning / reflection variations, DOF, etc. 

Coming up with a gold or any other metal material in cycles is easy. Takes about 30 seconds to create the required node system. 

I'm really curious about Maxwell as I've seen amazing renders from it but they all seem to be architectural or product viz.

Does it have good mograph and particles support? 

And can you make procedural materials with Maxwell? 

Just wondering how viable it would be for someone who's more specialized in motion graphics / abstract art than product visualization or architecture. 

It's been a while since I used Maxwell.  You see it a lot for architectual work because it takes a very long time to render something in Maxwell.  While Maxwell's quality is very good Thea Render has better quality and Thea's speed is faster.  Though when I'm talking quality it's things that most people would not ever see.  Thea's caustics can't be beat.  Most scenes caustics are not seen or even if they are they would not be really missed if they were not there.  Maxwell's caustics are very good, but not as good.  More than anything I'd say Thea's speed and support for GPU and CPU is what makes it better.  Thea's lack of support for anything, but 8 bit in Cinema and layers seeming weird.  Thea does not stop instantly when stop is pressed.  This is where Cycles seems to be better is the layers are way better.  Insydium did an amazing job with the cycles plugin.

Maxwell does have good mograph, particles support, and can use the Maxwell procedurals.  It's been a while so you might also be able to use C4D procedurals as well.

Played with the color a little.  Hopefully this looks better.

rings cycles.jpg

2 hours ago, Fastbee said:

Played with the color a little.  Hopefully this looks better.

rings cycles.jpg

Better! My eyes still want a little more orange in there, but those reflections are looking smooth.   

And thanks for the info, re: Maxwell.  I'll definitely look into it.  

A little break from the gold and a bit of retro-deco fun... with more volumes, cause damn, I love volumes.  

REDEO-v1-5.thumb.jpg.098e26c467f099ead33ef736a0f85e71.jpg

Watch this guys 

very interesting to see! :)

I put some diamonds in there just because and adjusted the gold color based on real gold.

Thanks Slgor for the video.  Them glossing over render times like that is not cool.  Something else with having 100% real settings is it can limit the option if you want to go with something unreal or surreal.

rings cycles3.jpg

1 person likes this

Yeah.

It's a cool testimonial, but I think it's funny that - even in a Maxwell promo video - they make allusion to Maxwell being slow. 

I don't know that the "it's slow, but at least it evens out, because you have to do less post work" argument is a selling point to me. 

1 person likes this

I had the chance to talk with the guy who worked with Maxwell from day one and who worked at Next Limit and his arguments (and renders) are selling point to me, but only thing that I cant understand is their management team, from what I heard its really bad and it shows, specially with the new V4 release. 700 Euros for an upgrade from V3 and I payed 900E for V3 just few months before V4!! You can image how angry I was, and not only me, many many users. There is more, but more I talk about it, I just remember how frustrating that period was, so Ill stop and Ill just use V3, its good enough.

1 minute ago, SIgor said:

I had the chance to talk with the guy who worked with Maxwell from day one and who worked at Next Limit and his arguments (and renders) are selling point to me, but only thing that I cant understand is their management team, from what I heard its really bad and it shows, specially with the new V4 release. 700 Euros for an upgrade from V3 and I payed 900E for V3 just few months before V4!! You can image how angry I was, and not only me, many many users. There is more, but more I talk about it, I just remember how frustrating that period was, so Ill stop and Ill just use V3, its good enough.

The price is horrid.  When getting a licence for a commercial render farm it's even worst.  This is why I will never offer Maxwell on my farm.  There are faster more affordable alternatives.

1 person likes this

35 minutes ago, Fastbee said:

I put some diamonds in there just because and adjusted the gold color based on real gold.

Thanks Slgor for the video.  Them glossing over render times like that is not cool.  Something else with having 100% real settings is it can limit the option if you want to go with something unreal or surreal.

rings cycles3.jpg

Diamonds looks really nice. :)