Backplates & HDRI
Backplates & HDRI
nerv

First experiences with Cycles4D

83 posts in this topic

I've been messing around with the demo version of Cycles 4D, and for the most part I'm genuinely impressed. However, while I was applying the textures to a "base" mesh, I've encountered a weird issue that the default (or the OCTANERender demo for that matter) doesn't have, as you can see from the provided images, the textures aren't being displayed right...

If it wasn't for this setback, I'd be hard pressed to find a reason not to buy it; I like how I can use certain features of the default texture system with Cy4D, how much quicker the rendering seems to be compared to the Physical renderer, and just how intuitive I find the node system itself! If you have any tips, don't hesitate to post them here... I'll see if Insydium knows why (cause I don't think even Blender had this problem definitely the same in Blender).

(Unfortunately I'm unable to post my texture node, sorry!)

mare_base_cycles_test.png

mare_base_cycles_test2.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hmmm.  I can't really tell what's going on there, but the times I've had issues with texture mapping using the Texture Tag, I've used the Cycles Texture Coordinates + Mapping nodes to make adjustments.  

58dc0108b4697_ScreenShot2017-03-29at2_29_09PM.thumb.png.33d49ea9cbd7bcc722daa3cf7b239c00.png

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, nerv said:

Hmmm.  I can't really tell what's going on there, but the times I've had issues with texture mapping using the Texture Tag, I've used the Cycles Texture Coordinates + Mapping nodes to make adjustments.  

58dc0108b4697_ScreenShot2017-03-29at2_29_09PM.thumb.png.33d49ea9cbd7bcc722daa3cf7b239c00.png

 

I'll try that, though I suspect it's something to do how I've setup the texture for the horn. It's not out of the realm of possibility, but "Tangent Space" has an equally undesirable effect when the light interacts with the mesh... =P

Screen Shot 2017-03-29 at 18.29.20.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think your image texture nodes need some kind of vector input (either texture tag or texture coord) in order for cycles to "know" how to map it correctly. Otherwise it just ignores any existing UV coordinates and "guesses" its own mapping (usually incorrectly). 

 

That's one one of the quirks of Cycles4D. Very flexible, but requires a bit of additional work to get things looking good. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/19/2017 at 8:46 AM, 3D-Pangel said:

Well said.  I do believe that ultimately we will all have to learn the logic of a nodal material system as I would expect that is in MAXON's development path.  Hopefully, MAXON implements nodal materials similar to how they implemented Xpresso: something that "under the hood" to the existing interface and there if you need it to go deeper.  

Dave

I think c4d will add the ability to use nodes, but not require it. For comparison...with Octane you can work in the familiar channel method, but you also can use nodes.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Hexadecimal said:

I've been messing around with the demo version of Cycles 4D, and for the most part I'm genuinely impressed. However, while I was applying the textures to a "base" mesh, I've encountered a weird issue that the default (or the OCTANERender demo for that matter) doesn't have, as you can see from the provided images, the textures aren't being displayed right...

If it wasn't for this setback, I'd be hard pressed to find a reason not to buy it; I like how I can use certain features of the default texture system with Cy4D, how much quicker the rendering seems to be compared to the Physical renderer, and just how intuitive I find the node system itself! If you have any tips, don't hesitate to post them here... I'll see if Insydium knows why (cause I don't think even Blender had this problem definitely the same in Blender).

(Unfortunately I'm unable to post my texture node, sorry!)

mare_base_cycles_test.png

mare_base_cycles_test2.png

In Cycles4D there is actually a lot of flexibility in this area because of the way they did it.  In Octane I believe you are only able to do what the texture tag says for mapping.  In cycles you have quite a few other options one of them being the Texture Tag.

Here is an example.  In the case below I have the Texture Tags all set to Cubic with 3x3 tiles in UV.

On the Right the Texture Tag vector is being passed to the Image Texture.  This means if the Texture tag properties are changed the mapping will update like expected.  In the middle the Generated Texture Coordinates are being passed as the vector to be used.  On the left the Texture Tag vectors are not being sent to the Image Texture at all giving it default layout of default UV coordinates.

 

This flexibility in the vectors used helps a ton when trying to get the right mapping on a few million particles.

I've included the c4d file if anyone would like to see how it's set up.

 

vector example.jpg

vector example.zip

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The "Texture Tag" did not yield any desirable results. But as you can see from the images attached, the UV portion of the "Texture Coordinate" that is attached to the diffuse and normal maps has eliminated this problem and now looks like how it should be, the next thing to experiment is to see if I can get a nice "glow" look when the horn is casting some magic... But I should be able to do that by myself.

I have to say overall I'm extremely tempted to pick this renderer up since even when doing these basic "test" renders or the R.T.R's, it is performing considerably faster (like a few seconds difference on my current machine) then the default or physical rendering systems, and that's just with the CPU only rendering (GFX doesn't have the frame buffer to handle all the textures). I'd say my only gripe with Cycles in general - is the lack of out of core rendering (compared to Redshift and Octane), because I would love to use the actual power of my GTX 970, but I don't have the memory for the textures that ranges from 4k to 16k! =P

But as previously mentioned, I am tempted to buy the full version after the trail has ended...

Screen Shot 2017-03-30 at 20.04.43.png

mare_base_cycles_test3.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Hexadecimal said:

The "Texture Tag" did not yield any desirable results. But as you can see from the images attached, the UV portion of the "Texture Coordinate" that is attached to the diffuse and normal maps has eliminated this problem and now looks like how it should be, the next thing to experiment is to see if I can get a nice "glow" look when the horn is casting some magic... But I should be able to do that by myself.

I have to say overall I'm extremely tempted to pick this renderer up since even when doing these basic "test" renders or the R.T.R's, it is performing considerably faster (like a few seconds difference on my current machine) then the default or physical rendering systems, and that's just with the CPU only rendering (GFX doesn't have the frame buffer to handle all the textures). I'd say my only gripe with Cycles in general - is the lack of out of core rendering (compared to Redshift and Octane), because I would love to use the actual power of my GTX 970, but I don't have the memory for the textures that ranges from 4k to 16k! =P

But as previously mentioned, I am tempted to buy the full version after the trail has ended...

Screen Shot 2017-03-30 at 20.04.43.png

mare_base_cycles_test3.png

 

On the Image Texture node try to uncheck the Load From Disk checkbox and use texture sizes less than the full 4k or 16k.  With some test renders I think you will see that there is no noticable difference between the default 512x512 in most renders.  If you are rendering at 4k or 8k you will need higher res only if the object is very close to the camera.  Other than that most renders should be good with lower res.  For more optimization the Texture Size should be changed and scaled smaller if the object that uses that texture moves further away from the camera.  This can be done easily in Cycles by setting some keyframes for the Texture Size.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Fastbee said:

 

On the Image Texture node try to uncheck the Load From Disk checkbox and use texture sizes less than the full 4k or 16k.  With some test renders I think you will see that there is no noticable difference between the default 512x512 in most renders.  If you are rendering at 4k or 8k you will need higher res only if the object is very close to the camera.  Other than that most renders should be good with lower res.  For more optimization the Texture Size should be changed and scaled smaller if the object that uses that texture moves further away from the camera.  This can be done easily in Cycles by setting some keyframes for the Texture Size.

To reiterate -the UV part of the "Texture Coordinate" node has fixed my issue. Though if your talking about how to enabling GPU rendering on this model, I do appreciate the help and I think I'll try it on the glossiness material, as thet seems to be the thing that's eating most of the frame buffer for whatever reason... Other then that I probably won't touch the those settings.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Follow-up post:

I might grab a GTX 780 Ti/Another GTX 970 to use as a dedicated GPU for rendering!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Anyone having problems with Cycles 4D stability? It's constantly crashing on both PC and Mac for me.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.