Guest baja

Align to multiple splines

Guest baja

Hi - I wish to animate an object in a series of separate movements - each of which would ideally be expressed by a spline. I could make one spline for the complete series - but this is not ideal due the knock on effects when editing one of the movements. I thought i would be able to achieve this using multiple align to splines on nested nulls. But it seams parent align tags override child tags. Any ideas on this would be gratefully received.

cheers_ Howie

Guest baja
  • Topic Author
  • Thank you so much Jed - thats perfect.

Guest baja
  • Topic Author
  • Not only did you give me a solution - but you inspired me to to give xpresso a go. I have developed your example so its driven by one position slider, with each consecutive 100% moving along the next spine. This slider also switches the splines. Meaning you only have to keyframe one value. Also i have added nulls that define the position of the start and end points of the splines, so all the splines link up. Composition attached incase it helps someone else.

Thanks Again - Howie

MultipleSplineAlign.c4d

The modulo on the position is a neat idea, ditto aligning the splines. When you have a lot of repetitive XP, you can often simplify it with iteration - 

https://www.dropbox.com/s/u5xdt7pdnv4xua1/MultipleSplineAlign2.c4d?dl=0

might seem more complex, but if you had 50 splines it would just be the same code.

Guest baja
  • Topic Author
  • Thats brilliant - I'm familiar with iteration from nodal patching in quartz composer, I saw the iteration options in Xresspo but wasn't ready to take them on. Your example is a great introduction  and I will indeed have many more splines in my final project.

One thing  I tried to archive but failed was to set the max slider limit for the position slider, to number of splines * 100% . I wonder if you might know how to do this. Not really nesasery but i nice touch.

Thanks again for taking the time to be so helpful.

Howie

I don't think you can set the slider max in that manner.

This XPresso might interest you. I've been rewriting the code for an old project - it's an array of pendulums of increasing length that create interesting patterns. Vimeo here (1080p). New video still WIP eg camera a bit out and I forgot to put some shadows in, but you'll get the general idea. Uses hierarchy iteration to set up the pendulums.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/hrjp4arne76qxzp/pendulums.c4d?dl=0

• Like 1

Guest baja
  • Topic Author
  • That video is hypnotic - I could watch that end on orthogonal view all day.  That project has opened my eyes to the power of iteration - just need to find a project that pushes my skills.

Thanks Again - Howie

I'm very novice in xpresso, but I need just that! that one object follows 3 splines, but without noticing the passage from one to another, that does not slow down when going from one to another. How can I do it?

13 minutes ago, melisseta said:

I'm very novice in xpresso, but I need just that! that one object follows 3 splines, but without noticing the passage from one to another, that does not slow down when going from one to another. How can I do it?

Download the examples in this very thread ?! :)

CBR