Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Guest adrauric

Baking?

Guest adrauric
  • Topic Author
  • Hey,

I was looking around on these forums and noticed the repeated use of the word "baking"  for textures and things but I don't actually know what it means,

anyone wish to help me, please?

Hi, baking is the process of transfering high poly mesh details on to a low poly mesh in the form of a normal map. There are also other maps like ambient occlusion maps, roughness, height, thickness etc.

The high poly meshes are not usable for animTion or games and such so projecting the details on a low poly mesh m,akes them usable. Don't know if I make sense haha.

Guest adrauric
  • Topic Author
  • 23 minutes ago, PrivatePolygon said:

Hi, baking is the process of transfering high poly mesh details on to a low poly mesh in the form of a normal map. There are also other maps like ambient occlusion maps, roughness, height, thickness etc.

The high poly meshes are not usable for animTion or games and such so projecting the details on a low poly mesh m,akes them usable. Don't know if I make sense haha.

Yeaa, I kinda understand, thank you.

But ambient occlusion maps?

22 minutes ago, adrauric said:

But ambient occlusion maps?

AO maps are just one part of a baking solution - you can use displacement, AO, and normal maps in a bake, or any combination thereof. All 3 work together to produce an ideal final result, but there are reasons why you'd sometimes only want one or some of that baked for various projects. In some circumstances just baking the AO is all that is needed, for example on distant geometry that doesn't require displacement or normal baking to get over the general effect...

CBR 

Baking textures mean converting all shaders/procedurals/textures into single/multiple textures...

Guest adrauric
  • Topic Author
  • 3 minutes ago, bezo said:

Baking textures mean converting all shaders/procedurals/textures into single/multiple textures...

Alright, thank you for ya help

6 minutes ago, Cerbera said:

AO maps are just one part of a baking solution - you can use displacement, AO, and normal maps in a bake, or any combination thereof. All 3 work together to produce an ideal final result, but there are reasons why you'd sometimes only want one or some of that baked for various projects. In some circumstances just baking the AO is all that is needed, for example on distant geometry that doesn't require displacement or normal baking to get over the general effect...

CBR 

Ah, thanks for clearing that up! Very grateful.

For instance if you want to send your model textured by shaders to your friend with Maya software via .obj format file, without baking your texture will be lost for him. (simply because Maya don´t understand cinema´s procedural shaders). Baking solve this problem. Shader will be converted to texture file (jpeg,png...etc) which is readable by any software

I frequently texture bake AO to make a vertex map and then use this Vertex Map to colorize differently in the crevices.