Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Guest lynztree

3D transitions to live action

Guest lynztree
  • Topic Author
  • I'm working on a project where I have to create a cityscape model to match a live action footage flyover.  See video. The problem is, recreating the landscape model will most definitely NOT match perfectly. I used DEM Earth to generate the buildings and then added some of my own.  But I find it problematic that I will not be able to match the buildings perfectly for a nice seamless, clean transition.  (I still have to match the camera move so I know that will help.) But my question is for everyone.  What would be the proper work flow for this? Am I going about it the right way, manually adding buildings and matching the frame as close as possible?  Oof.

Thanks! I'm using C4D R18.039 and Octane.

TEST.mp4

9 minutes ago, lynztree said:

I'm working on a project where I have to create a cityscape model to match a live action footage flyover.  See video. The problem is, recreating the landscape model will most definitely NOT match perfectly. I used DEM Earth to generate the buildings and then added some of my own.  But I find it problematic that I will not be able to match the buildings perfectly for a nice seamless, clean transition.  (I still have to match the camera move so I know that will help.) But my question is for everyone.  What would be the proper work flow for this? Am I going about it the right way, manually adding buildings and matching the frame as close as possible?  Oof.

Thanks! I'm using C4D R18.039 and Octane.

TEST.mp4

I wouldn't do much until you first get a camera solve...matching camera move and camera perspective. Tracking it in c4d or with a tool like syntheyes or mocha is priority 1.

Guest lynztree
  • Topic Author
  • Of course I just set up the scene and my own camera without tracking first. Rookie mistake.  I was told I could use a camera morph to go from the tracked camera to my camera.  I just wanted to make sure that when it comes to creating a scene to match live action, that you just have to manually line up everything as best as you can. Or I was curious if there is some amazing technique or plug in I know nothing about.  I have to do this to another scene but the camera is not moving in that one.  It's just a static shot so that one is easier.  

I wish I could help more but I've got some client deadlines that won't budge. :cry:

Guest lynztree
  • Topic Author
  • Haha that's fine. I had to switch projects.  But right now I'm back on it and I'm trying to use the "solved camera" by putting the whole scene in a null and positioning it to fit with the camera.  This is horrible.   There has to be another way.  doh.  I was told use Camera Morph but that just blends between the 2 cams. I want 1 cam's view and the OTHER's tracked motion.  

Guest lynztree
  • Topic Author
  • So is the general  consensus  that I can't really do much here?  :(   Tracking a camera and trying to place the object in front of the tracked camera is not working well.  I need the same camera that I set up in the first place, it just needs to move correctly with the footage.