Hey guys, check out new PolyGnome tool for Cinema 4D from our long-time member C4DS. You can find PolyGnome in our Store and we hope you like it!! :cowboypistol:

Rendercore Lab

violst

AMD's Radeon ProRender.

violst    5

I know that Maxon is doing some work with Radeon ProRender but I didn't know to what extent. This is an interesting article about it's adoption of  ProRender. I don't know if it has been discussed yet? but it seems like a big reason for the adoption is the fact that Apple made AMD their GPU of choice. Now all of us Mac users can partake in GPU rendering . I for one am very excited about this new renderer. Its time us mac guys to get a GPU renderer for AMD GPU's!

http://www.cgchannel.com/2016/10/maxon-picks-amds-radeon-prorender-for-cinema-4d/

• Like 1

ninjad    9

I just came across these articles:

First look: AMD Radeon ProRender for Cinema 4D and Blender

http://www.develop3d.com/blog/2016/12/first-look-amd-radeon-prorender-for-cinema-4d-and-blender

Maxon picks AMD’s Radeon ProRender for Cinema 4D

http://www.cgchannel.com/2016/10/maxon-picks-amds-radeon-prorender-for-cinema-4d/

Anybody have some inside news of when /what version this might happen??

----

I remember coming across this online demo of WebGL rendering water refraction and caustics a while ago and being blown away at the speed:

http://madebyevan.com/webgl-water/

If they can do this on a web browser why does it take a minute to render a single frame in C4D?

With an integrated open source GPU renderer I'm hoping it'll help to really speed things up for the default C4D user.

ninjad    9

Just found this older thread from last year that seems to have a lot more info:

Looks like they're aiming for this year and there was one prediction for a release with R19:

http://hexus.net/tech/news/graphics/100459-amd-publishes-video-overviews-radeon-loom-prorender/

Rectro    475

Your be lucky to hear anything before September 2017.

Dan

• Like 1

ninjad    9

Looks like R19 beta has been circulating and there are new videos online reviewing the new Pro Render engine:

• What?! 1

Cutman    123

I checked the system specs, he's using dual WX7100s which are equivalent to Radeon 480s I believe, a Vega 64 or nVidia 1080 should give similar performance to those dual cards.

But the real problem is speed, for animation this renderer will be useless as no one is going to spend 4 hours per frame on very basic scenes like his washing machine examples. They may well say ProRender needs a lot of optimisation/development over the coming years, I think it needs  to rely upon a lot of GPU development as well to make it worthwhile i'e a couple of 100 TFlop GPUs.

I might be interested in this renderer in 5 years time until then I'll make do with Hardware GL and Sketch and Toon...

Zmotive    48

Assuming it will take 5 years seems excessively bleak but I agree that for now it doesn't make sense to expect this renderer to supplant any specialized renderer currently used in a person's workflow (Octane, V-Ray, Arnold, Cycles4D). I'd give it ~ 2 years to get fully integrated, fleshed out feature-wise, and optimized.

I like some of the improvements made for R19 and it's more compelling in relative terms than R17 was, but for now i can't justify $650 for a better Voronoi and Sound Effector (not to diminish their quality just in general terms). Unless work throws a bonus my way before September, I'll be shelling out a bit more in relative terms for R20. All signs point to a big update at that time.

Until then R18 is pretty darn good still and plenty more to learn about Cycles4D in the meantime. About everything really. Far from a lighting and rendering mastermind. Sometimes just hitting pause on new apps and plugins can help to get better with what you've got.

Cutman    123
3 hours ago, Zmotive said:

Assuming it will take 5 years seems excessively bleak but I agree that for now it doesn't make sense to expect this renderer to supplant any specialized renderer currently used in a person's workflow (Octane, V-Ray, Arnold, Cycles4D). I'd give it ~ 2 years to get fully integrated, fleshed out feature-wise, and optimized.

I just applied a bit of Moore's law to those quoted render times. There's surely only so much that can be optimised for speed then it's over to the hardware to develop quickly.

I thought the whole point of GPU rendering was for speed? VRay and Ryzen 1800x or Threadripper would show ProRender a clean pair of heels by some margin.

ninjad    9
6 hours ago, Cutman said:

But the real problem is speed, for animation this renderer will be useless as no one is going to spend 4 hours per frame on very basic scenes like his washing machine examples.

I saw the washer machine stills in the beginning of the video. Where did you get 4 hours per frame? I just read in another thread that it will not work with team render which does make it useless for animation for my needs at least.

Zmotive    48
44 minutes ago, Cutman said:

...VRay and Ryzen 1800x or Threadripper would show ProRender a clean pair of heels by some margin.

Funny you mention it; I was checking at lunch to see if  the preferred PC workstation builders are offering Threadripper yet. So far all the new AMD stuff is pretty sparse in terms of availability. Origin PC had TR / X399 but not a fan of their build options or site. 

Also it's sort of a bad time to get an X399 board. Right now it's impossible to get one with Thunderbolt 3 (licensing from Intel) but soon Intel is supposedly going to waive all licensing to board manufacturers, in which case I'd think even AMD boards will get it. No more limited to USB-C 3.1 Gen 2 (not that it's a bad spec just not as good as TB3 for many purposes).

It's the race to see what gets here first: new Mac Pro or X399 with Thunderbolt 3. : )

Cutman    123
10 hours ago, ninjad said:

I saw the washer machine stills in the beginning of the video. Where did you get 4 hours per frame? I just read in another thread that it will not work with team render which does make it useless for animation for my needs at least.

Towards the end of the video the presenter mentions the render times.

People turned to GPU for price/performance but that calculation has changed somewhat with AMD's shakeup of the CPU landscape meaning a fast high quality CPU renderer like VRayforC4D is back in the game.

There's no doubting the quality of ProRender's output but as an animation renderer you can forget it for a while and I find it a strange choice to pin the future on.