Hey guys, check out new PolyGnome tool for Cinema 4D from our long-time member C4DS. You can find PolyGnome in our Store and we hope you like it!! :cowboypistol:

Rendercore Lab

violst

AMD's Radeon ProRender.

ninjad    9
16 hours ago, Cutman said:

There's no doubting the quality of ProRender's output but as an animation renderer you can forget it for a while and I find it a strange choice to pin the future on.

I render using amazon web services, so I have access to unlimited amount of Team Render clients. I was looking forward to a feature that might possibly offer faster or comparable speeds than the Physical renderer and still be able to work smoothly with my TR setup.

While we're on the topic, if you have any economical suggestions to getting faster render times for animation over the native Physical renderer and that would work smoothly with network rendering I'd love to hear it.

Even if something like Octane could offer 2x the speed over the native renderer, I read that it requires a license for each machine using network rendering. Right now I can run something like 8 TR machines and get 8x faster render times with the native renderer.

BTW - finally found the 4 hour render time comment 12 min into the video, that sounds hopeless :(

Cutman    122
8 hours ago, ninjad said:

I render using amazon web services, so I have access to unlimited amount of Team Render clients. I was looking forward to a feature that might possibly offer faster or comparable speeds than the Physical renderer and still be able to work smoothly with my TR setup.

While we're on the topic, if you have any economical suggestions to getting faster render times for animation over the native Physical renderer and that would work smoothly with network rendering I'd love to hear it.

Even if something like Octane could offer 2x the speed over the native renderer, I read that it requires a license for each machine using network rendering. Right now I can run something like 8 TR machines and get 8x faster render times with the native renderer.

BTW - finally found the 4 hour render time comment 12 min into the video, that sounds hopeless :(

The only real choice you have is VRayforC4D and there's plenty of Renderfarms supporting it, if you haven't looked at VRay I think you're missing out on a really very good option. Since version 3.4 the rendering setup has been completely streamlined and optimised and the quality of the rendering has gone up too. Even the sample noise of the progressive renderer looks aesthetically pleasing and more like film grain which gives an organic feel to the images than the electronic gritty noise you get from Physical and Cycles.

I like the look of the output of ProRender but those MAXON UK render times looks appalling and completely unworkable for animation. I suspect VRayforC4D's CPU progressive renderer will out perform it handsomely. VRay can also handle extremely complex interior GI with flicker free Irradiance Caching, I mean, those ProRender examples look like they're nothing more than lit by single IBL sources and it struggles.

VRay supports TR, I use it like that myself with a couple of old 12 core Mac Pros that I'd like to replace with some Threadrippers.

The VRayforC4D developers will surely support any nodal material system MAXON brings to C4D and it'll be a first rate integration. They get a lot of flack for being late compared to Max and Maya but they get given the VRay SDK much later than every other app but manage be really quick once they get the SDK.

As you might've guessed I can't recommend VRayforC4D enough.

• Like 2

ninjad    9
8 hours ago, Cutman said:

As you might've guessed I can't recommend VRayforC4D enough.

Awesome, thanks for the input, I'll definitely be looking into it!

Bonbo    1
On 06.08.2017 at 3:41 AM, ninjad said:

The best solution for me is Corona render. It is much faster and still very simple, even easier and more convenient than the Physical rendering . 
They always have advanced development and they do not need to wait for the SDK from third parties.
Corona supports TR and at the same time it is completely free at the moment. The other day they became part of the Chaos Group and we already got a Vray DMC sample inside Corona in the daytime assemblies. So we are expected to have more innovations in the near future.