Insydium Cycles
Insydium Cycles
Cerbera

MAXON Labs is GO !!!!

85 posts in this topic

4 hours ago, 3D-Pangel said:

Okay....I had to look up Krav Maga 

Yes...now I am scared.  

....a really scary image would be Hrvoje slowly twisting you into a pretzel while he calmly says in those soft dulcet tones of his "I must break you now....do not take it personally but this is the simplest and most direct way for me to deal with you. It is veeery easy and there is no reason to be concerned....{crrrraaaack!}"

BTW:  Sigor...love your new avatar....cute!  Striking resemblance too!

Dave 

Hehe, really no need to be scared of Hrvoje as he is one of the most peaceful and reasonable people I ever met. ;)

4 hours ago, 3D-Pangel said:

BTW:  Sigor...love your new avatar....cute!  Striking resemblance too!

Thanks Dave, very much appreciated! :) 

53 minutes ago, SIgor said:

Hehe, really no need to be scared of Hrvoje as he is one of the most peaceful and reasonable people I ever met. ;)

Never meant to imply that about Hrvoje and I would certainly agree with you.  A true gentleman.

But after just watching that Krav Maga video, I did find it incongruous to his nature as best as I could determine from his tutorials and Cafe posts.  And that is when I thought "wow...that would make an excellent villain character: huge and physically menacing but with a soft and calm speaking voice -- who explains why he must break you while he is doing it in soothing tones."  So I was thinking more about that character than Hrvoje.

..hmmm....maybe Hrvoje has a future in the next Bond movie.

Hrvoje does remind me of  Ron Fedkiw: Stanford University professor who developed PhysBAM for ILM who was a competitive weight lifter who dead lifted 800 lbs in the 198 pound weight class.  Hey...like Hrvoje...another data point against the "all brawn and no brains" stereotype.

Dave

On 2/21/2017 at 8:12 PM, 3D-Pangel said:

Or do we just yell at Hrvoje at the Cafe?

Used to it, trained professionally for years by my better half :)

1 minute ago, HSrdelic said:

Used to it, trained professionally for years by my better half :)

Lets hope she doesnt see this topic then... :smiley-computer005:

I applaud MAXON for trying to break with years of silence but I find the blog and this Labs 'experiment' rather underwhelming so far.

The extrudifier is a very useful snippet of code but its existence is puzzling. I've harboured a hope, perhaps forlorn, that MAXON are/have developed a new nodal programming/rigging system to replace the out of date Xpresso and if so I would expect such a replacement to be used for building an extrudifier, like a Houdini artist would do. So I'm puzzled why an experiment like this exists in python? Maybe it's old code and predates developments that follow on from having the new core.

If anyone in MAXON communications is listening could you please give a hint about nodal programming improvements you have lined up for future C4D versions? It cannot have escaped your notice how many C4D artists are moving to Houdini or using Houdini in their workflow and if you have a similar system in development please tell us what you can as it would be of great interest to many. Many thanks.

1 person likes this

22 hours ago, Cutman said:

I applaud MAXON for trying to break with years of silence but I find the blog and this Labs 'experiment' rather underwhelming so far.

The extrudifier is a very useful snippet of code but its existence is puzzling. I've harboured a hope, perhaps forlorn, that MAXON are/have developed a new nodal programming/rigging system to replace the out of date Xpresso and if so I would expect such a replacement to be used for building an extrudifier, like a Houdini artist would do. So I'm puzzled why an experiment like this exists in python? Maybe it's old code and predates developments that follow on from having the new core.

If anyone in MAXON communications is listening could you please give a hint about nodal programming improvements you have lined up for future C4D versions? It cannot have escaped your notice how many C4D artists are moving to Houdini or using Houdini in their workflow and if you have a similar system in development please tell us what you can as it would be of great interest to many. Many thanks.

Hello Cutman,

In the context of MAXON Labs, we will limit our comments to our labs web platform and its published projects.  We can't talk about upcoming development of Cinema 4D before a features and benefits is released.  So we can neither acknowledge nor deny any development of nodal systems for C4D. I hope you understand.

On MAXON Labs, the projects we publish come in the form of plugins and scripts.  They use of the same public interfaces we made available to all plugin developers. Some of these projects may serve as mock-ups for future Cinema 4D features (vote on MAXON Labs to increase probability).  If integrated into the product, you can bet the entire implementation will look completely different.

Cheers,

JF

1 person likes this

2 hours ago, JFyelle said:

Hello Cutman,

In the context of MAXON Labs, we will limit our comments to our labs web platform and its published projects.  We can't talk about upcoming development of Cinema 4D before a features and benefits is released.  So we can neither acknowledge nor deny any development of nodal systems for C4D. I hope you understand.

On MAXON Labs, the projects we publish come in the form of plugins and scripts.  They use of the same public interfaces we made available to all plugin developers. Some of these projects may serve as mock-ups for future Cinema 4D features (vote on MAXON Labs to increase probability).  If integrated into the product, you can bet the entire implementation will look completely different.

Cheers,

JF

Hi @JFyelle

I appreciate the Labs is not the forum for upcoming features announcements that's not what I was asking for, the MAXON Blog exists for that. I think an article on whatever MAXON have in store for nodal programming within C4D would make a very interesting blog post and one which would excite many current users and potential users if indeed MAXON has anything to say on the subject. I can't think MAXON would go to the trouble of rewriting the core of C4D and not want to overhaul Xpresso and make it fit for purpose  by modern standards.

R19 will be the 3rd release after the core had been rewritten so surely we must start seeing some larger architectural developments that have some tangible benefits for us users. I would've thought developers would be working 100% on the heavy lifting which is a surprise to see a plugin level tool being developed/trialled. But the again, as Hrvoje has said in the past, I don't know anything about software development. 

1 person likes this

20 hours ago, Cutman said:

Hi @JFyelle

I appreciate the Labs is not the forum for upcoming features announcements that's not what I was asking for, the MAXON Blog exists for that. I think an article on whatever MAXON have in store for nodal programming within C4D would make a very interesting blog post and one which would excite many current users and potential users if indeed MAXON has anything to say on the subject. I can't think MAXON would go to the trouble of rewriting the core of C4D and not want to overhaul Xpresso and make it fit for purpose  by modern standards.

R19 will be the 3rd release after the core had been rewritten so surely we must start seeing some larger architectural developments that have some tangible benefits for us users. I would've thought developers would be working 100% on the heavy lifting which is a surprise to see a plugin level tool being developed/trialled. But the again, as Hrvoje has said in the past, I don't know anything about software development. 

Sorry buddy. There will be no comments.

8 hours ago, JFyelle said:

No worries.

The more open MAXON really didn't live up to much, that blog eh?

1 person likes this

5 hours ago, Cutman said:

No worries.

The more open MAXON really didn't live up to much, that blog eh?

Maybe you'll appreciate a metaphor.  

Once I phoned my girlfriend and told her I would offer her a bouquet, then showed up to her place with nothing, saying it was too late but I will bring some next time.  Today, My butt knows that I'm supposed to shut up and just show up with flowers.

We can't talk about what is in the work because of a legal disposition called revenue recognition.  In a nutshell, talking about what we are attempting to release may (will) qualify as false advertisement if we ever miss the scope or date.  Corporations avoid being sued by imposing secrecy on future plans until there are no more risk (ie, guaranteed feature delivery).

Our feature and benefits statement tends to be issued around SIGGRAPH: that's the time you can hope to hear more about our next release.  Remaining silent isn't fun for us.  you can bet the moment we can talk safely about the cool stuff we're doing, we will.  Until then, we can't confirm or deny we are working on a nodal system.

I explained why we can't talk and when you will know more.  
It's hardly a blog article, but that's as open as it gets... for now. :)

On 3/7/2017 at 8:34 AM, JFyelle said:

JF,
Fully understand the legal, financial and just plain "let's minimize the noise over undelivered promises" constraints that MAXON adopts relative to new features.   But just wondering at what point during the development process do certain features become locked for a release?  Is it always around Siggraph?  I would hope not as Siggraph is usually just one month before a full release notice.  There has to be some point far earlier where MAXON is fully committed to incorporating a new feature into the program.   And by committed, I mean "we don't have a release unless we get this implemented as so many other enhancements depend upon it".  

I ask because we look at the competition and it seems that they are more willing to share some details well ahead of their next release.  I would imagine, like MAXON, that they also don't want to over-promise and under-deliver so what they talk about has a 99.999% probability of being in the next release.  As such, there is almost no risk of giving its user's a sneak peek much earlier in the release cycle because come hell or high water that feature will be in the program.  

There has to be features planned for R19 that also fall into a similar category?  So while discussing some features will entail the risks you outlined, I can't imagine that all features carry that same risk.

Again, I fully support and respect your policy.  But the next time your sitting in a product development meeting, and the Program Manager is just tickled pink about meeting schedule for features X,Y and Z, then ask yourself and the team what the harm will be to share that same level of optimism with your customers for those features?

Dave