merging all textures into one

lilili

hey yall,

i made a bit of a mess out of a model with various uv mappings textures etc.

its really hard for me to work around it in bodypaint cus everything's tangled.

is there a way that i can sort of "merge" everything together and just have 1 material? 

hope you can help

bests

No. You'll be needing to UV map your model again, so that you distribute all areas of the mesh into the single UV square canvas. Then you will need to output a bitmap from bodypaint that has a UV mesh layer, so you can see where everything is. Normally, you would then open that in photoshop, use the mesh layer as a guide, and then place your various textures under their specific bits of mesh, before re-importing that into C4D to use as the now single texture map for that object, using UV mapping mode..

It's quite a complicated process, so my advice is to only to do it if you are sure you have to...

Edit: Actually I wonder if you couldn't bake down what you have already. I am not expert in that, so can't tell you how best to proceed that way, but maybe someone else will, or the manual can help you in that instance...

CBR

On 18.2.2017 at 2:53 PM, Cerbera said:

Edit: Actually I wonder if you couldn't bake down what you have already. I am not expert in that, so can't tell you how best to proceed that way, but maybe someone else will, or the manual can help you in that instance...

CBR

Yes it is possible using the Bake Texture tag. It is a bit tricky as the correct alignment of Texture Tags is important, especially if you work with different uvs and polygon selections, but it works. So what you need is your target UV to which you want to render all the textures. But from my experience the result is always washed out. Even if you render a texture 4 times its size it is still blurry.

• 1 month later...

If you do your UV mapping correct where there is limited angled UV's and you set your texture to a pixel size of 1024 x 1024 or greater, the image should look great.  Then once you get that single texture, bring that into BP and have fun.

• 10 months later...
On 20/04/2017 at 2:56 PM, alheck said:

If you do your UV mapping correct where there is limited angled UV's and you set your texture to a pixel size of 1024 x 1024 or greater, the image should look great.  Then once you get that single texture, bring that into BP and have fun.

I know how to create my own optimised texture from scratch, but I want to use what the artist put together in their scene. 

Let me just explain my process:  

I have a room with lots of objects. Cups, sinks, plates, pictures in a frame. Tables with fake C4D colour ramps that create a wood texture and so on.

I want to connect and delete all the objects so that I have one mesh. Unity seems to like single meshes and not groups.

The result of this is you have one mesh and all the individual textures are preserved in their own selection tags but on one mesh.

When go > Object> Bake object. You get a UV but all split up into very messy splits.  I am not sure how you make a better UV at this stage. 

I can go to BP UV edit, and change the mapping but I am not sure how you then carry that to you merged model?