Hi guys

please be considerate and disable AD blocker when you are on the C4D Cafe, because it helps us run this forum. We minimalized showing of the AD's all across the forums, so please, be so kind and at least help us by having AD blocker turned off.

Cheers,
Cafe Staff 

nerv    186
21 hours ago, SIgor said:

No, I used maps from 3D Coat I previously made.

I can't figure out how to use alpha masks and I don't know what are nodes for, some I know, but the majority I don't. I can't find all the nodes in the RS documentation.

Gotcha.  I can confirm documentation for some of the nodes is lacking.  We've mentioned this in the forums, so we're hoping once development for the alpha is over, they'll have some time to address this.  

@sampei see below, re: Vertex Maps.   

35369097746_82607ae30e_o.png

I'm not sure that there's a way to procedurally apply a different color to each polygon in an exact way.  You can use noise, but that won't do specific polygons.  You'll probably need to use polygon selections and apply a different material to each.  

35242097582_deb8b19d62_o.png

• Like 2

nerv    186

Update: actually... @sampei  you CAN procedurally color polygons, by using mograph effectors*.  Then you can use the RS Color User Data node to blend two materials.  Takes a couple of additional steps, but it works.  

35280426881_0f933287f7_o.png

* Video tutorial (not by me) on using mograph effectors for randomizing color: 

• Like 1

Igor    412
2 minutes ago, nerv said:

@SIgor these are by another user in the RS forums.  Might help clear up your alpha masking questions.  

https://www.redshift3d.com/forums/viewreply/78132/

https://www.redshift3d.com/forums/viewreply/78134/

Oh this is great, thank you...and that tip for connecting nodes is awesome! :D 

• Like 1

nerv    186

Repurposing my little shader dragon and playing with the Redshift Camera's Tone mapping settings for more dynamic range. 

tumblr_ortbzmGexE1qexizdo1_1280.jpg

Igor    412

Continue the good work Nate, RS is great, I am really grateful to you for opening this topic and not getting frustrated with the questions and with putting our own work in here...so kudos to you! :oregonian_winesmiley:

• Like 1

sampei    0
5 hours ago, nerv said:

@sampei see below, re: Vertex Maps.   

35369097746_82607ae30e_o.png

I'm not sure that there's a way to procedurally apply a different color to each polygon in an exact way.  You can use noise, but that won't do specific polygons.  You'll probably need to use polygon selections and apply a different material to each.  

35242097582_deb8b19d62_o.png

your vertex map solution seems to hold up fine,  thanks so much. Is there any way to stack material blender nodes, since the current limitation of this setup is 7 materials? Really need to understand this system better, I'm not finding it very intuitive coming from a different application...maybe I need to spend more time learning the basics. Oh and great work, been looking at this thread for a while..inspiring stuff :)

nerv    186

Thanks for the kind words @SIgor! I'm always happy to help as I can. So keep asking and, if I know the answer, I'll give it. :)

@sampei you can definitely stack material blenders by feeding one into a layer input of the other.  Maybe use different noise and other patterns to blend in each "stack". 

Most node systems are confusing at first. Just stick with it! 

nerv    186

Another repurposed tutorial scene: 

giphy.gif

• Like 1

DanLSK    24

Does anyone experiencing incredible system lag when working with  C4d Shader node ? 

I'm trying to recreate the same material I had in my original scene and basically just copied the layered  noises and dumped them into C4d shader then piped it into RS texture....  Had to crank op the   Width and Height  and it works great , but  man it slows down the system.  It takes numerous seconds before I can click on anything and it keeps dragging .  Perhaps I'm doing something wrong?  

rednode.JPG

Igor    412
3 hours ago, DanLSK said:

Does anyone experiencing incredible system lag when working with  C4d Shader node ? 

I'm trying to recreate the same material I had in my original scene and basically just copied the layered  noises and dumped them into C4d shader then piped it into RS texture....  Had to crank op the   Width and Height  and it works great , but  man it slows down the system.  It takes numerous seconds before I can click on anything and it keeps dragging .  Perhaps I'm doing something wrong?  

rednode.JPG

Very strange, not happening to me, not sure what would be the problem. 

nerv    186

@DanLSK Since C4D shaders are baked by RS into textures in realtime, the shader width / height will increase memory usage. So cranking up those parameters will inevitably tax your resources.  

Same thing happens whe using really large textures from sites like Poliigon, etc. - especially when you're throwing multiples of these textures into a single graph. 

A few of us on the forum have brought that up, hoping they can optimize this in some way. 

If your C4D shaders aren't too prominent in your scene or applied to small objects, you can sometimes get away with keeping their dimensions low. It can also help to combine that with enabling cubic interpolation and disabling "prefer sharp" in the RS Texture Shader's Advanced tab. It can help keep those small-res textures smoother. 

YMMV of course. 

• Like 1