Sign in to follow this  
nerv

Redshift Impressions

@nerv  Thanx for the info! 

I'm going to start watching my resources bit closer and maybe is time for some upgrades...  

After being a week away from my computer, I was anxious to get back for a round 2 only to find that my PSU had gone bust :(

Thankfully there's a RedShift installer for the mac. I asked and was given access. It works great, so I can use my Macbook Pro while I wait for a new PSU.

It crashed a few times but the IPR renders with no issues. FYI, I'm using a late 2013 MacBook Pro which is equipped with an Nvidia GeForce GT 750M 2048mb. Works just like on a PC with comparable render times. The attached image took 20mins, obviously with a better GPU it won't take as long. once my new PSU arrives i'll test how long it takes on a GTX 1080.

JoyPill.png

@SKaiser if you share your file I could tell you how long two 1080s would take

Here's my 1st attempt at @nerv's Opalescence shader.....

Skello_RedShift_out.png

• Topic Author
  • Nice @SKaiser! Getting there. ;)   

I've actually been playing with that shader again, trying to improve on it.  Not feeling quite ready to share it, but once I am, I'll make a project file available as an example.  

In the meantime, here's something else to bring in the summertime vibes.  I call it "Jazz Sands" (get it?)

tumblr_oryv1552Mj1qexizdo1_1280.jpg

Played some more with Redshift tonight 

Lessons learned:

1- RS does not like SLI configuration. Must disable SLI so RS can correctly utilize all of the vRAM from both video cards. 

2- Save often, 16gigs of RAM just might not be enough when you get crazy (not knowing what you doing) with some of the settings... 

3- Bake your own complicated  C4D shaders into textures then pipe them into RS texture

4- Good time to start learning XPresso

VirusPS.jpg

One more from tonight 

Diamant_01.gif

Great job Dan, I can see you are the fan of Resident Evil? :) 

| MAXON Quality Assurance | 3D Artist | C4D Cafe Manager | Gamer in Heart/PS4 ID: SIgor420 |:compEnjoy:

14 hours ago, Igor said:

Great job Dan, I can see you are the fan of Resident Evil? :) 

Thanx Igor, and yes I love the old RE games.

The Umbrella scene  is nothing special to look at really, but it served me well to get grasp on few things.

The IPR is so great I just cant stop playing with displacement  or better yet refractive materials with displacement... 

Here is few quickies from this morning

stickdisplacement.jpg

stickdisplacement2.jpg

Good Stuff @DanLSK. I'm a Resident Evil fan too!

I really love the Jewel Render.

Here's a few more from me. I'm starting to get the hang of the nodal system now, though not all nodes are documented....need to experiment more. 

Does anyone know how much the renderer will change when it goes to beta?

RedShift_FF-Cogs_v3.png

TheAccursedSword.jpg

1 hour ago, SKaiser said:

Does anyone know how much the renderer will change when it goes to beta?

I think you can already buy it for 500$. Great to see RE fans here, RE 3 for me was the best! :cowboypistol:

| MAXON Quality Assurance | 3D Artist | C4D Cafe Manager | Gamer in Heart/PS4 ID: SIgor420 |:compEnjoy:

1 hour ago, Igor said:

I think you can already buy it for 500$. Great to see RE fans here, RE 3 for me was the best! :cowboypistol:

Really? I might ask them if I can purchase it, I would like to use Redshift for a short I am making.

Ah, you're a fan of the Old School RE games....I think I I like RE 2 the most. Leon and Claire are great characters :)

• Topic Author
  • @SKaiser you can just buy Redshift right now. It gives you access to all the plugins, including the C4D one when it's officially out.  Otherwise just keep working with the alpha for now. You are allowed to use it commercially. 

No rendering from me while I'm on (a very short) vacation. With these views, it's hard to justify sitting in front of a computer for too long. :)

35379516831_4f1993fb4c_o_d.jpg

34668991924_e50b326e83_o_d.jpg

35160083090_412484a6bd_o_d.jpg

too bad I have to get back to NYC tomorrow. :'(