Insydium Cycles
Insydium Cycles
nerv

Redshift Impressions

68 posts in this topic

2 hours ago, arail said:

I'm a little confused. There's a Redshift version for C4D? I don't see it on their website.

Its in closed alpha if I am not wrong!

Ah, thanks. Looking forward to this. Currently playing around with Corona which I like a lot, curious as to how Redshift will compare.

Just now, arail said:

Ah, thanks. Looking forward to this. Currently playing around with Corona which I like a lot, curious as to how Redshift will compare.

Many says its a next big thing for Cinema, but we will see! :)

We've been using Octane for our animations and although its faster than most CPU renders, it's not much faster for interiors.

It buckles when doing indoor scenes, I've got it down to a minute per frame but it's super grainy..We have 2x Pascal Titan X so I'm just not too happy with the render times, there's only so much you can do in post. Don't really get how a game engine can render at like 150fps at 4k but 1 awfull looking 720p frame takes a whole minute. 

Does Redshift offer decent render times for animation/interiors? Would love to get hold of a sample file to see what speeds I get before jumping into learning it. 

@woodstar for me it's been fast across the board.  Interiors, exteriors, animations, etc.  Much faster than any of the other renderers I've tried.   

I'm sure there'll be a demo you can test once it's ready for production. 

One from yesterday:

somenerv-lacera.thumb.jpg.be431cea6f093fd2ca6cf9775e1e461a.jpg

For those that want to try it for themselves. I don't know why no one else is saying this, but all you have to do is email the developer and express your desire to join the alpha, they will send you a key and a link to the download. Its that simple :D

On 3/7/2017 at 5:52 AM, woodstar said:

We've been using Octane for our animations and although its faster than most CPU renders, it's not much faster for interiors.

It buckles when doing indoor scenes, I've got it down to a minute per frame but it's super grainy..We have 2x Pascal Titan X so I'm just not too happy with the render times, there's only so much you can do in post. Don't really get how a game engine can render at like 150fps at 4k but 1 awfull looking 720p frame takes a whole minute. 

Does Redshift offer decent render times for animation/interiors? Would love to get hold of a sample file to see what speeds I get before jumping into learning it. 

Email the dev's the alpha is "closed" but the allow new people all the time.

3 hours ago, oculairmedia said:

For those that want to try it for themselves. I don't know why no one else is saying this, but all you have to do is email the developer and express your desire to join the alpha, they will send you a key and a link to the download. Its that simple :D

On 3/7/2017 at 11:52 AM, woodstar said:

I just did that, lets hope I will be able to join, I am really curios how RS works! :)

We're using RS for more than two years now on XSI and they offered us to try it for C4D. Unfortunately I work on Mac but I'm going to try it on a pc (and may be do the switch completely for 3D work.) I'm bored to feel limited by apple.

The core of RS for C4D is 2.5, more advanced than the 2.2 of XSI but because it's a beta stage and there is no problem of experiencing issues. So the core should work slightly  better than how it performs on XSI, and I'm still impressed after each update with this render.

As an example, we had a huge work to do for Fox Australia Supercars Show. It consisted in reproducing the 15 circuits in real time to show all the difficulties of each circuit. We where working with Arnold at that time, each circuit was during between 1 mn to more than 2 mn, and FullHD of course. The look was supposed to be between realistic and video game. The budget was just for the opening of the show. The render with Arnold needed so much time to render that we had to absolutely try something else.

That's why we tried RedShift that was on beta at this time. I can say he saved our lives, we couldn't have done so much time of full CG in that amount of time being the small studio we are.

If someone is interested this is the trailer. Some part have been done in C4D too, to make all the maps intro with physical render and the terrains using DemEarth, preparing and modeling the car and part of the assets.

1 person likes this

13 hours ago, deadpixelx said:

We're using RS for two years now on XSI and they offered us to try it for C4D. Unfortunately I work on Mac but I'm going to try it on pc (and may be do the switch completely for 3D work.) I'm bored to feel limited by apple. the core of RS for C4D is 2.5 and even more advanced than the 2.2 of XSI but because it' a beta stage and there is no problem of experiencing issues. So the core should work slightly  better than how it performs on XSI, and I'm still impressed after each update with this render. We had a huge work to do for Fox Australia Supercars Show. It consisted in reproducing the 15 circuits in real time to show all the difficulties of each circuit. We where working with Arnold at that time, each circuit was during betwin 1 mn to more than 2 mn, and FullHD of course. The look was supposed to look between realistic and video game. The budget was just for the opening of show. The render with Arnold needed so much time to render that we had to absolutely try something else.

It's why we tried RedShift that was on bet at this time. I can say he saved our lives, we couldn't have done so much time of full CG in that amount of time beefing the small studio we are.

If someone is interested this is a trailer. Some part have been worked in C4D too, to make all the map intro and the terrains using DemEarth in some cases too.

Great video, thanks for sharing. I manage to get in the alpha, so eager to try it now. :)

Thank you!

@deadpixelx nice!  

@SIgor looking forward to seeing what you cook up!  

Here's another recent one.  

somenerv-TERMINVS.thumb.jpg.a380f899a5e76b8b705cc042942bbd30.jpg

2 people like this

Hi guys, do you know that RedShit is coding his render plugin for C4D MacOSX too ? They have it working on OSX for Maya and Houdini and are working on the C4D version ... And they say it works great and quick...

Hello,

As some of you already know, we’ve recently been working between tasks on the OSX port of Redshift. A couple of weeks ago we got the basic renderer working (redshiftCmdLine) and then, a few days after that, we got the Maya plugins running, too! Please see attached image (the one with the amazing programmer “art”).

Associated apps like the licensing tool, texture processor, etc are also running. But we don’t -yet- have a proper installer. We also don’t have Houdini and C4D plugins compiled for it either.

Performance-wise, it runs great! It appears the NVidia driver is actually very fast on Mac (on par with Linux - or maybe even a bit faster). So far, we’ve tested with a GTX970.

When we have any news on the progress of the other plugins, we’ll share it here. If you want updates on the Redshift Mac support in general, please subscribe to this thread.

Thanks

-Panos

Here some snapshots from Redshift on Maya and Houdini, and soon C4D in MacOSX ... !    

RedshiftOSX.jpg

Screen_Shot_2017-03-24_at_12.57.44.jpg

Screen_Shot_2017-03-24_at_12.53.01.jpg

@nerv   ... Nice renders

1 person likes this

I saw that on their forum!  Too bad apple has continued to drop the ball on making pro hardware.