Redshift Impressions

nerv

The renders shared so far look amazing.

I been hearing a lot of good things about RS, but haven't had the opportunity to give a try. I tried Corina the moment and the results are not that bad, but I think that compared with redshift, people are saying that it's easier to get something looking good in RS.

I been using Arnold lately and so far so good, but render times can get stupid long if you not careful with light samples. 

I haven't tried Octane yet, but I do like the look of the renders. I might give a try later.  

• Replies 208
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 hours ago, dredmix said:

The renders shared so far look amazing.

I been hearing a lot of good things about RS, but haven't had the opportunity to give a try. I tried Corina the moment and the results are not that bad, but I think that compared with redshift, people are saying that it's easier to get something looking good in RS.

I been using Arnold lately and so far so good, but render times can get stupid long if you not careful with light samples. 

I haven't tried Octane yet, but I do like the look of the renders. I might give a try later.  

I think Corona is amazing for product and archictecture stills. A bit too slow for animation for my tastes. Also, it's lacking particle and hair support, which is a big miss for me. 

Arnold produces beautiful results all around but is soooo sloooow. 

I never really got into Octane. It produces somewhat pretty results but always felt clunky and unstable. Plus there's a... "culture"... around it that I really dislike. 

Redshift has continued to tick all the right boxes for me.  

Here's one from today. I find the whole "fidget spinner" craze kind of silly, so decided to make a quick piece poking fun at it. I think I could've dialed back the motion blur a bit, but eh.... whatever. 

giphy.gif

@nerv

Thanks for your response, and advice, I'll give it a go. Wow, never realized you can really crank the settings up like that....I'll play around more.

I'm still a novice user, but the render speed of Redshift makes it very attractive to me, I also don't like the 'culture' behind octane but I fear once RedShift becomes more widespread, there'll eventually be 'us' and 'them groups...we'll see.

I'm determined to get better using this renderer. It also makes me realise the differences and potential of other renderers in general.

Nerv, your works are very inspiring, you've helped spark my interest! Thanks for all your experiments and posts!

how does the normal c4d renderer compare in speed to redshift in your opinion?  I must admit the  renders you produce are wonderful but am hoping they arent like all the stories i hear about Arnold, nice but slow :-)

@caliburn thank you! 

It's like night and day.   

Not putting down C4D's built-in renderer.  I think it's extremely capable, and will always have a place in my heart.   But Redshift is just - SO - fast.  I get better results in a fraction of the time. 

Honestly, GPU rendering is the future. Once you try it, it's really hard to go back. 

well if the gossip is correct then r19 will be a release for the gpu renderers all right :-) i want to see what this pro render can do, but if not i think i will take the plunge with redshift

p.s nice article by the way and well done man :-)

@nerv

Octane indeed got a lot a momentum lately and you're starting much of the same "bepple" style images around, which nothing against them they do look nice. :)

I read somewhere, that MAXON was thinking in implementing the AMD Radeon Pro Render on R19. So we might see GPU render as default soon in C4D.

Nice images btw.

10 hours ago, dredmix said:

Btw, does anyone know when it's going to be open for testing?

At the moment the Alpha is closed. You need to apply for it. 

The alpha is "closed" but you can request access via email... unless they've finally closed it off in preparation for release.  

Here's a new one.  The cloud was generated in Houdini, exported as VDB, then brought into C4D via the newly-implemented  Redshift volume object.  

tumblr_or9h5zkzvz1qexizdo1_1280.jpg

Well, I've finally had a few days to mess around with the RedShift engine, and while it isn't the 'wonder renderer' I was dreaming of (at least not yet), it is still very good...I know I need to use it more than 3-4 days to get more out of it, Nerv's renders are evidence of this.

The nodal system stumped me at first. There's bit of a learning curve and I was at a loss as to how to implement a few things, like Ambient Occlusion for example. After a few days it started to make sense and I'm just about getting my head around it. With Vray, I just jumped in and everything worked so I was a little disappointed to the amount of effort I had to put in to make something look good. I guess I'm very accustomed to the channel system.

some things take a little longer to set up (displacement for e.g.) and seem quite convoluted in comparison to C4d native shader system. Though, once you know the process it's no big deal.

In redShift, I wouldn't say the nodal workflow is faster or better. It seems to be just another way of working because, as far as I know, you cannot edit multiple materials in one editor. So if you have many materials using the same noise texture, you'll have to connect a node to each material rather than one node for all the materials. I can't see how this is different to the channel system in C4d native.

Once  I got Subsurface scattering to work, the results were a dream and renders pretty quickly. In comparison, I feel SSS in native C4d is complicated to set up and the results are not so good looking. Vray SSS is easier than RedShift but RedShift looks better,  you have more control and renders faster.

Redshift Physical camera is intuitive and setting up DOF, motion blur and lens effects is easier than native C4D and renders quickly, no fuss!

The render speed is the real difference here. I do like the look Vray renders give but RedShift renders so much faster!  I'm very tempted to stick with RedShift, improve my ability with the nodal system and get great looking renders.....That is, of course, until ProRender comes along...maybe!

@nerv I realise now you probably made the Opalescence shader from scratch, while I was thinking it was an 'out of the box' preset. Is there any chance you could hint as to how you connected this shader up? I've tried a similar thing in Vray but to no avail!

Here's a few renders from my 1st round with RedShift

RedShift1.thumb.png.27ae982f6bc9419c26012d1361e6904f.png  RedShift2_v2.thumb.png.5e2e3967823539f76daf29ce4bb4a793.png  RedShift2_v3.thumb.png.e29fd1dfbbc1777fa2b5fa473738f9df.png

• Igor featured this topic
  • Igor unfeatured this topic

Archived