RenderStorm Farm

3D-Pangel    220
  • Topic Author
  • My texture journey continues.....I was never happy with the black/white mask I had created for the tiny ship windows that I was getting from JSP.  Not that JSP is a bad tool, it isn't.  It's actually a must have in my opinion.  But while there is some control of the random patterns it creates by creating vertical or horizontal sections, it places those sections randomly across the image.

I was looking for something unique in that I wanted to lights to reflect floor levels in the space station.  They needed to line up and be restricted to individual rows of pixels in the final image.  Not easy to do with a random texture generator.   

So what I did was to create a plane that was roughly 184 x 324 polygon is size.  I then textured it completely black and colored the 4 polygons in each corner completely red.  I placed a camera above the exact center of the plane and had it facing it straight down.  I set the render size to the same ratio as the number of polygon and did a few quick renders while repositioning the camera to insure that the red corners were exactly at the corners of the rendered image. 

Next was to go in and do a few loop selections to select the floor levels I was looking for and then remove polygons from each of those selections to get the randomness that I was looking for.  I will admit that this part was tedious.  When done, I painted the finished selections with a flat white material to generate the black/white mask of windows I was looking for.    Once rendered, I then painted the red alignment squares in the corners black. The finished image is below:

5b01782424556_lightmaker.thumb.jpg.e089dbfa4d7741128f252f4fa3bdfd45.jpg

And this is how it makes the windows appear in the final render.  It definitely sells the concept of floors within the space station.

5b0175470819f_BetterLights.thumb.JPG.0c30e0d8a6ff7d82e3b562461484aabe.JPG

• Like 1
    • Awesome 1

Cerbera    1,804

Well worth the hassle though - that is one damn fine luminance map you got there :)

CBR

• Like 1

3D-Pangel    220
  • Topic Author
  • 7 hours ago, Cerbera said:

Well worth the hassle though - that is one damn fine luminance map you got there :)

CBR

Thank you!   From you that is high praise!

One thing for sure....if I don't get what I want, I keep trying.  Given that this is a hobby, I can only eek out about 4 hours a week by the time the rest of work and life is taken care of.  So those little dots represent about 2 weeks of time (or 8 hours of experimentation).

Today is a rather unique day....I killed back hauling dirt yesterday  (dead lifted a 150 to 200 lb sack over my shoulder.....I thought I could do it...I did...but I paid a price).  So I hooked up a heating pad to my office chair and have been working on C4D all day.  I am now working on the space dock doors.  Three attempts today so far.  Just not happy with it. I am using a design by Robert Wilde for inspiration.   The inner door break on his design  has some pretty neat geometry but I am struggling with the topological flow.   To many cuts and then he indents and bevels the inner door "C" glow.  If not done right, you get a lot of crappy triangles and phong errors.   Here is what I have so far:

5b01f01cb96b1_Withdoors.thumb.JPG.fd9994db96bba5e3423ebbf642d0d6a2.JPG5b01f01e17a48_Door....sofar.thumb.JPG.1edd6cbb613082c8f1808c281af9ae51.JPG

But this is what I am going for: 

80-14-828739.thumb.jpg.461f7c66d2fc334e5cc542f030d7054b.jpg