3D-Pangel

ST III Spacedock

LOL. Just came across this thread.........now in 2018! I love looking at these things and learning something new. I now have to learn JSplacement and see how that will work for me. Thanks @Cerbera again for your insight (albiet a bit late for me)  and thank you  @3D-Pangel for sharing this project

• Namaste 1

whoops! made an error. I saw "joined" and thought that was when the post was created.................

In my defense - I just came back from vacation and am still a bit jet-lagged.

That luminance map is awesome. Man how do I wish there was something like JSPlacement that could automatically generate sweet luminance maps!

(edit)

nevermind. apparently JSPlacement actually DOES do this!

• Topic Author
  • For Fathers day I was left alone with C4D.  Best present ever!  So I continued working on the interior.  Honestly, the whole process is trial and error...try something simple and see if it works...usually it doesn't.  Scrap that and go for something more complex.  Scrap that.  Finally bite the bullet and go for something detailed. 

This was the process for the internal docking bays inside the station.  Once again, the port hole luminance maps need tons of tweaking and I am NOT happy with them at all.  I may have to model each window individually as textures that worked on the outside just don't seem to work on the inside.  Here is the interior tower (I really goofed on the glow....so forgive me for that):

Capture.thumb.JPG.5fc4a15c969e50a27931b6f4f8cdf4d7.JPG

And a close up showing the interior sections of that tower a bit better:

Capture2.thumb.JPG.f55225b1ce865ce11516196d83bd1a5f.JPG

Still not happy with it....but way much better than the initial attempts (they were horrible).

Dave

• Like 1

• Topic Author
  • Okay....now I am starting to like it.  Still need to add some detail to the central core but the 4 arms are about complete:

5b418d4af1759_Bldgbetter5.thumb.JPG.01a22614dc45503cdadcd48254046060.JPG

• Like 1

• Topic Author
  • On ‎7‎/‎9‎/‎2018 at 7:15 PM, CApruzzese said:

this is really getting a sense of scale to it! Good work! 

Thank you.  That is what I am going for and it takes a while to really understand exactly what helps do that in a somewhat believable way particularly in a sci-fi environment that never really existed anyway.

Here's an update

5b45cfe6c5676_Bldgbetter8.thumb.JPG.295149bfdeeb4180ee3c0cc833611bba.JPG

And here is a background detail to help sell the scale. Never meant to be a center piece of the model, but just something in the background that help sells the scale a bit better than tiny port hole lights.

5b45cff277856_detail2.thumb.JPG.9f5a809c03d6b689d58aa641ddb5ccce.JPG

Dave

• Like 2

Nice WIP here @3D-Pangel. You've put in a lot of work on this, so I almost don't want to say this, but my eye for Trek-tech forces my hand! The paneling on the tower is a little wonky in places. It appears to follow the topology used to create some of the interior docks/windows, so there are oddly angled vertical edges in many places, as well as a bit too numerous. This being ST and a Federation base, that kind of slapdash construction would get any engineer thrown out of Star Fleet! ;)

Perhaps the paneling should be done as a separate object to keep those edges straight, and possibly combining some together to cut down on the density?

I'm enjoying watching this come together. Keep it up!

• Topic Author
  • 16 hours ago, Vizn said:

Nice WIP here @3D-Pangel. You've put in a lot of work on this, so I almost don't want to say this, but my eye for Trek-tech forces my hand! The paneling on the tower is a little wonky in places. It appears to follow the topology used to create some of the interior docks/windows, so there are oddly angled vertical edges in many places, as well as a bit too numerous. This being ST and a Federation base, that kind of slapdash construction would get any engineer thrown out of Star Fleet! ;)

Perhaps the paneling should be done as a separate object to keep those edges straight, and possibly combining some together to cut down on the density?

I'm enjoying watching this come together. Keep it up!

Wow...very insightful comment and spot on.  No worries about offering it as that is the type of criticism I am looking for.  I want to keep the paneling as it does help sell the scale and adds visual interest more than what a simple  texture would do.  Flat straight walls just make it look small and uninteresting but the first rule of believable detail is that they look like they belong there as well.  Your comments correctly point out that some of those panels do not look like they belong.

Shame on me as I am an engineer and a design that looks like it would exist in the real world is what I look for in other models so I need to hold myself up to better standards as well.

Dave

• Like 2

what renderer are you using? the renders are test renders?

that humongous station is a challenge indeed (just thinking about that file size)

• Topic Author
  • On ‎8‎/‎12‎/‎2018 at 9:57 AM, vanderleden said:

what renderer are you using? the renders are test renders?

that humongous station is a challenge indeed (just thinking about that file size)

I am using the Physical render.  Render times are pretty long (around 30 minutes on a 4 core 3.7GHz Xeon E3-1245 V6 processor).  For all but close ups the port hole luminance maps do not need to be GI enabled which they are right now.  Turning that off could speed things up a bit.   I am not really worried about polygon count.  I used to be, but computers are so powerful these days it is not that much of a limitation.

The whole project has been slowed down a bit due to work (traveling to Juarez, San Jose, back to Juarez and then to the Czech republic on business) and family (lots of great weekends spent with pretty much everyone).  Also, a very good comment was made Vizn about the paneling that has got me going back a bit to redo.  It is more work than expected, but he was spot on.

Put all that together and progress has been slow.  I hope to get  to spend a bit of time on it this weekend before my next trip. My perfect retirement job (hopefully 7 years away) would be to do something (anything actually) with C4D  as I find myself really looking forward to being able to spend some serious time on it....but time for my hobbies is so limited right now.

Dave

you doing good so far

it's true with file size computers are 64bit and can take a heavy punch these days

just a thought, it's a space scene the Standard Render would do nicely and maybe faster (I don't have Studio so don't know about the Physical Render - have only Bodypaint 3d version Prime with sculpting basically) or to speed things up give Cycles 4D a shot they have a unrestricted fully featured demo