Sign in to follow this  
3D-Pangel

ST III Spacedock

• Topic Author
  • Okay...this is weird.  All I did was shut off the normal channel and turn it back on again, and the floating windows disappeared.

Interesting.

5b0499049120b_WithNormalMap2.thumb.JPG.6e1b31e44de0cefc147214d5c8e24eca.JPG

I zoomed back a bit and you can really tell now that the lights seem a bit more connected to the hull.  Just compare the lights at the bottom of the image where the normal map is applied to those at the top where the are not applied.

5b049991a731f_WithNormalMap3.thumb.JPG.5fc11c00bcc73eba28f7d5639fd82137.JPG

Great suggestion!!!

Dave

Nicely done ! Lookin goooood..... :)

CBR

• Topic Author
  • The inner core starts to take shape.  Lots to do as I just roughed out the shape and literally slapped a texture on it.  There is actually a ton of modeling on the inner core more so than on the rest of the structure.    I could easily spend 40 hours on the inside alone....which for me is about 10 weeks.  Honestly, I wish I was retired so I could do this full time.

5b05693c4e676_Innercorerough.thumb.JPG.e06cb7b212fd842d3253ea4d8bd639b1.JPG

Dave

Following this thread with much interest as i once tackled this project long ago using Imagine  and later on lightwave,so know full well what a pain it can be ;-D at least you have semi decent references nowadays i had blurry vhs tape aieeeeeee  its all looking fantastic :-D

LOL. Just came across this thread.........now in 2018! I love looking at these things and learning something new. I now have to learn JSplacement and see how that will work for me. Thanks @Cerbera again for your insight (albiet a bit late for me)  and thank you  @3D-Pangel for sharing this project

whoops! made an error. I saw "joined" and thought that was when the post was created.................

In my defense - I just came back from vacation and am still a bit jet-lagged.

That luminance map is awesome. Man how do I wish there was something like JSPlacement that could automatically generate sweet luminance maps!

(edit)

nevermind. apparently JSPlacement actually DOES do this!

• Topic Author
  • For Fathers day I was left alone with C4D.  Best present ever!  So I continued working on the interior.  Honestly, the whole process is trial and error...try something simple and see if it works...usually it doesn't.  Scrap that and go for something more complex.  Scrap that.  Finally bite the bullet and go for something detailed. 

This was the process for the internal docking bays inside the station.  Once again, the port hole luminance maps need tons of tweaking and I am NOT happy with them at all.  I may have to model each window individually as textures that worked on the outside just don't seem to work on the inside.  Here is the interior tower (I really goofed on the glow....so forgive me for that):

Capture.thumb.JPG.5fc4a15c969e50a27931b6f4f8cdf4d7.JPG

And a close up showing the interior sections of that tower a bit better:

Capture2.thumb.JPG.f55225b1ce865ce11516196d83bd1a5f.JPG

Still not happy with it....but way much better than the initial attempts (they were horrible).

Dave

• Topic Author
  • Okay....now I am starting to like it.  Still need to add some detail to the central core but the 4 arms are about complete:

5b418d4af1759_Bldgbetter5.thumb.JPG.01a22614dc45503cdadcd48254046060.JPG

this is really getting a sense of scale to it! Good work!