Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Modelling and Computer Power (or lack thereof)

The CPU is what processes software tasks, and it works with the Ram.  Both the CPU and Ram work together.  The Rams main asset is its size, and the CPU main asset is its Speed.  The Storage on HHD main asset is its size.  Both the Ram and HHD speed will also effect the system, but the Storage speed is very noticeable as your operating system and software load from it, and your files load and save from it.

All in all all these parts work together and if one is lacking enough its refereed to as a bottle neck in the system.  If one component is very slow, it will limit or hold back other components.

Slow CPU means your wait longer for tasks, and can get pauses.

Ram which you run out will limit the system by means of slowing down, out of memory errors, and software even crashing.

Storage when it runs low, slows down the whole computer as need space for general usage and operation.  When software is writing to a HHD and it runs out your file will not save, and can even cause a software crash.

GPU when its too old in modern software can cause display issues when the software needs certain technologies Opengl.  Lack of GPU ram can slow some software down such as games, and large texture maps in software.  

Dan

Don't think I saw anyone mention the following. From my days as a Beta tester I recall that the amount of polygons that you can sculpt on in C4D is largely determined by the amount of GPU memory that you have as it's heavily reliant on the GPU.

6 hours ago, 3DKiwi said:

Don't think I saw anyone mention the following. From my days as a Beta tester I recall that the amount of polygons that you can sculpt on in C4D is largely determined by the amount GPU memory that you have as it's heavily reliant on the GPU.

That's interesting would have never guessed that as it seem my system bottoms out around the same as others, and I have 6gb of gpu memory.

I tried it again on a sphere in C4D using the scrape brush and on my main system which has a GTX 780 6GB card I reach 280k Its smooth and uses only 57mb, at 1.1mil  uses only 231mb of memory bad lag, 4.5mil, it uses 1107mb, but impossible to sculpt on.  For this system memory has not become its bottleneck.

Laptop has built in gpu intel hd 5500, it reacts the same only being that it shares its system ram with the gpu I assume C4D uses the system ram instead as this system can reach 4.5mil polygons, but like the main system its of course not sculptable.

Zbrush on the other hand uses system ram, on the 64bit platform will take 16gb easy, this at the 33mil poly level, but is smooth.  

So in C4D what is the driving force for smooth sculpting, CPU, GPU?

Dan 

• Topic Author
  • Hi guys,

So I am looking at purchasing a new laptop and afters some research it seems like this one is pretty decent for its price range. Will the specs of this computer give decent render times / be able to handle high poly counts? My current mac is just crawingly slow when scenes get denser and adding things like transparency on materials. 

Asus Rog Strix GL502:

Intel Core i7-6700HQ, 16GB Ram, 256GB SSD, NVIDIA GTX 1070 8GB, 

3 hours ago, deerwax said:

Hi guys,

So I am looking at purchasing a new laptop and afters some research it seems like this one is pretty decent for its price range. Will the specs of this computer give decent render times / be able to handle high poly counts? My current mac is just crawingly slow when scenes get denser and adding things like transparency on materials. 

Asus Rog Strix GL502:

Intel Core i7-6700HQ, 16GB Ram, 256GB SSD, NVIDIA GTX 1070 8GB, 

Its a dam good laptop no doubt there, but unless it was absolutely necessary that I had to have a portable machine I would build a desktop PC as your get a 6 core machine, with 32gb of ram and a GTX 1080 for the same money.  

When looking at specs always search for the cinebench results to give you a idea of its performance.  The i7-6700HQ viewing a CB score on youtube got 655cb -674cb, also view here same results. http://www.ultrabookreview.com/8839-intel-core-i7-6700hq/

To put that into perspective, my last system was a older cpu i7 2600k, sligtly overclocked, it gave me 719cb score, I sold that chip with motherboard for about £150 fro memory.  Now for that money you can build a 6 core machine that will give you about 1200cb, and even that alone will not give you enough power for HD animation rendering, but its a heck of alot faster than the machine your looking at.  Even if you didnt want to build your own, im sure you could get a dam good desktop pc built at the 2k mark.  GPU wise, yea amaziing as these do match the desktop machines from the review I watched.  256gb HD will be fine for starters, but if your like me doing multi tasking, and using it as a DAW, then a second seperate HD is a must, and USB 3 HD are fast, but nothing like a Fast Solid state HD.  So while this is a very good laptop, more so for games, and a CPU renderder its not so good.  Id love to have one to replace my laptop, but could never shed out close to 2 grand Unless I had a desktop PC as my main workhorse.

PS: AMD Ryzen 7 1800X is out in a few days, and offers 1600+ CB score out the box, and is cheaper than the Intel equivilent by some margin.

Dan

• Topic Author
  • Thanks man.

Could you recommend a better laptop around that price point than that for rendering /  high poly modelling? If you're not doing animation, how would the specs ASUS perform for just high poly modelling ? And what was your experience with your last system?

What features should I be focusing on specifically for performance for modelling and rendering? just the cinebench score you mentioned? 

Id have to look, but that laptop is a very good laptop.   I can model on my laptop which is way slower than the one you suggested, but I wouldn't sculpt much on it  as it dont have enough Ram.  If I where choosing a Laptop id go for one with a dedicated GPU but not high end one, im not gaming, fast as possible CPU with 32gb of ram.  Id put my bigger investment into a render machine exon, or the new AMD processors.

Good modelling can be done on most average computers, my only limitation is me.

PS:  Just to add when it comes to rendering, there is many factors to take into account.  Are you rendering stills, or animation, what resolution, and what render engine, how big are the scenes, is it for hobby, or business?

There is no single Desktop machine that can be powerful enough for rendering animation, we always want it faster, and thats why for serious work we use render farms, or build one at home.  No laptop will compete with a desktop machine, its just not physically possible, and if it where your pay so much more for the portability. 

Dan

• Topic Author
  • Sorry I meant sculpting. What are the specs that influence the performance of a machine when sculpting / rendering specifically? Or do they all play a role?

What difference would 32gb of ram compared to 16gb make for rendering/ modelling if everything else was kept the same? Also, what specs can you forgo on if you up the ram, or does increasing everything just make all processes (rendering, modelling , sculpting ) faster?

Finally, is the NVIDIA GTX 1070 is overkill / not relevant for rendering / modelling /sculpting ? 

Thanks again.

26 minutes ago, deerwax said:

Sorry I meant sculpting. What are the specs that influence the performance of a machine when sculpting / rendering specifically? Or do they all play a role?

They all play a role. GPU for how fast the display moves, cpu for real-time calculation, and system memory to hold those millions of polys...

RAM doesn't, as a rule, make things go faster, but it does allow you to render scenes that you couldn't with less. I find 32 GB is enough to render any scene I come across. 16GB is enough for most scenes, but not all.

32 minutes ago, deerwax said:

Sorry I meant sculpting. What are the specs that influence the performance of a machine when sculpting / rendering specifically? Or do they all play a role? 

So the NVIDIA GTX 1070 is overkill / not relevant for rendering / modelling /sculpting ? 

Thanks again.

The GPU on this machine is not a overkill if your using a GPU renderer for C4D like Octane, but where Octane really shines is with a Desktop Machine because you can add multiple GPUs, you cant upgrade laptops.

Sculpting,that depends on what sculpting app your using, but they all want memory, they all want CPU single core speed, not sure how many use multi core, will get back to you on that.  I always overclock my computers because I want fast single core performance, thats not something id tell others to do.

I dont think iv asks this, what is it you want to sculpt, any examples?

Dan

The attached images can be done within C4D, but you may enjoy doing it more in Zbrush because of its mesh building abilities, its more organic in its method using a technology called Zsphears.  The link you posted opens to mainly 3d modelling, everything on that page can be done in C4D Studio with the right skills.

Dan