Guest bbka

Odd rig behaviour with separate objects

Guest bbka

After many hours of tutorials I have started to rig a cartoon character I'm working on. This is my first time rigging anything, so I hope I am just being a noob, but here goes...

My aim is to get the wings into a specified pose hence the rig (also, it's good to learn!). 

I've set up an IK rig for the wings like this. I put in separate bones for each larger feather, and they are parented under the main 'arm' joints in the hierarchy.

rig.thumb.JPG.f0a220b0385ab118f14419e9ec04f5f4.JPG

hirearchy.thumb.JPG.9452f25b32a06da9d6bbcde00c8981bb.JPG

My problem is that when I move the Goal (which is at the tip of the 'arm' part of the wing), the feather polys don't stay attached to the arm.

weight.thumb.JPG.35ec955c4ae3a8e52d3581233e4c6893.JPG

moved.JPG

Is this an axis issue? Or do I need to connect the feather polys to the arm? Thing is, if I do that, it will become tricky to paint the weight map, as I have already done that, for each feather, and I'd prefer to keep them as a separate object - but is that possible at all?

Wow - if this is your first go at rigging, you sure picked a hard thing to start with ! :)

Wing rigging is particularly tricky, and I would be here all night trying to explain to you how to do it... fortunately, Pluralsight have got you covered, and here's a whole video series on how to build and rig a wing properly - well worth the cost of signing up for a month.

CBR

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Cerbera said:

That looks especially valuable, Dan - might buy that one myself !! :)

I have a membership with cmifx so if you want me to check out any specifics about it pm me.

Dan

8 minutes ago, Rectro said:

I have a membership with cmifx so if you want me to check out any specifics about it pm me.

Thanks dude - will do, but their description is unusually thorough :) I am impressed that they can cover all that info in 2 and a half hours !

Out of the blue...what happens when you put the wings mesh with its skin deformer out of the body mesh hierarchy?

if that´s not working then is your skin/weighting setup correct? Wings skindeformer only has the wings joints in it and body skin only the body joints?

Guest bbka
  • Topic Author
  • 26 minutes ago, nightlight said:

Out of the blue...what happens when you put the wings mesh with its skin deformer out of the body mesh hierarchy?

if that´s not working then is your skin/weighting setup correct? Wings skindeformer only has the wings joints in it and body skin only the body joints?

This worked!!!

No idea what the logic behind that is, but it did. The weighting etc was fine - I'd run it past a friend who'd done this sort of thing before in Maya and he was scratching his head too... thank you!

Dan, Cerbera: Well, yeah, it's not meant to be realistic or even to be animated - just a little cartoon bird. Unfortunately I don't have a choice in the character ;) I  am only a graphic designer, not a 3D artist, I'm only doing this because we want to widen the in-house team skillset due to the industry we're in... I was scheduled to go on training months ago but scheduling issues meant this project has crept up on us and I've still not been! :')

These forums are an invaluable resource though, I can't thank you all enough - I have been lurking here for many months, and maybe one day I will be pro enough to answer other people's cries for help too... :'))))

3 hours ago, bbka said:

Well, yeah, it's not meant to be realistic or even to be animated

You don't need to animate it ?!!! Well there goes the reason for a rig !  Just build the model in the pose you need it, and job done, no ? :)

Guest bbka
  • Topic Author
  • Just now, Cerbera said:

You don't need to animate it ?!!! Well there goes the reason for a rig !  Just build the model in the pose you need it, and job done, no ? :)

Unfortunately there are a lot of fingers in this pie meaning the pose may have to be changed somewhat, and it will be easier to do that with a rig as opposed to them saying 'oh actually can you do this to the wings instead' and having to re-build the model...

And they may end up animating it for other uses if it's done properly :)

I've got it working now, good enough for what it'll be used for!